South Dakota...WORLDS LARGEST HUNTING PRESERVE

guyndog

Banned
Lets face it. With all the imported birds to all the lodges, preserves, cities and businesses, South Dakota has become one giant preserve. Why would the farmers, lodges and the aforementioned businesses want to improve and expand public hunting land? They have thousands of non resident hunters bamboozled into thinking they are hunting wild birds. Its a beautiful state but the greed of the landowners is out of control and now many farmers are planting birds. Pheasants are not native to south Dakota. So, as a suggestion hunt your native birds in your home state and support your local preserves.

I hate golf, so you know what...I don’t go golfing!! I dont think I will make the trip to South Dakota this year. Yes, the surveys and reports factor in to that, but my dog is just a yeat old and frankly not ready for a big trip. But shame on you for blasting landowners lodged and guides by over simplifying a very complex issue. You don’t think everyone would love a wild rooster next to every weed clump? So...maybe stay home and....try respecting and encouraging those that are committed to making the trip to have a good time.

Lets face it. With all the imported birds to all the lodges, preserves, cities and businesses like U-Guide, South Dakota has become one giant preserve.
Why would the farmers, lodges and the aforementioned businesses want to improve and expand public hunting land? They have thousands of non resident hunters bamboozled into thinking they are hunting wild birds. Its a beautiful state but the greed of the landowners is out of control and now many farmers are planting birds. Pheasants are not native to south Dakota. So, as a suggestion hunt your native birds in your home state and support your local preserves.

You have the same old song. A lot of us thinks your tune sucks. I think you can say anything you want but you are awful boring.

I hate golf, so you know what...I don’t go golfing!! I dont think I will make the trip to South Dakota this year. Yes, the surveys and reports factor in to that, but my dog is just a yeat old and frankly not ready for a big trip. But shame on you for blasting landowners lodged and guides by over simplifying a very complex issue. You don’t think everyone would love a wild rooster next to every weed clump? So...maybe stay home and....try respecting and encouraging those that are committed to making the trip to have a good time.

Encourage people to get ripped off. No way.
I did stay home and hunted native birds in a state with an abundance of public land. And I will hunt my local preserve. And my dog will love it. And I will spend my money locally. By not going there yourself you are supporting my point. Thanks

Oh. So you get defensive when someone calls out the greed which is spoiling the west. If my tune sucks write a new one

Guy dog, just have to come back and stir the pot. Everyone just ignore and maybe he will go away. Good luck this year, wharever public ground you will be hunting

south dakota is a big state...lots of preserves...lots of public ground...etc...I own a quarter section, all habitat...lots of public areas within a mile or so...lots of private land as well nearby...the private stuff where pay to hunt happens is 5-10 miles away...we shoot some of those birds as well, but not that many...I have about 5,000 acres of public land within a ten mile radius...some of that public land has the best winter cover around...the birds find it and thrive there...pheasants don't migrate, I am not too worried about goes on 20 or 50 or 100 miles away...I am worried about what is going on within a 20 mile radius of my land and where I hunt...I cherish those spots, and the relationships I have in my little corner of the world...lots of fun! Hope all of you have fun this season!

This is Hilarious! What a Loser!
Sitting at home behind Mommy and Daddy's computer trolling people on the great outdoors in SD.
Yah, he should be kicked off of this, Period!!!

Lets face it. With all the imported birds to all the lodges, preserves, cities and businesses like U-Guide, South Dakota has become one giant preserve.
Why would the farmers, lodges and the aforementioned businesses want to improve and expand public hunting land? They have thousands of non resident hunters bamboozled into thinking they are hunting wild birds. Its a beautiful state but the greed of the landowners is out of control and now many farmers are planting birds. Pheasants are not native to south Dakota. So, as a suggestion hunt your native birds in your home state and support your local preserves.

We get it on guyndog he likes to stir the pot,must be bored,but on this pen bird vs wild bird debate I asked a question on another thread and did not get a good answer.I'm a non resident and read and ad in pheasants forever magazine that said we only hunt wild birds but as I read their website it said extra birds $32.00 that does not spound like wild bird hunting to me.Pen birds are pen birds not wild birds so what's up?Just hoping for a good answer as I don't want to be may to believe i'm hunting wild birds when i'm not,pen birds released to the wild are not wild birds.I can hunt those in my home state.

You might try calling them and ask about the extra bird policy...

Extra birds (over the state limit) would indicate a "preserve policy" - if you shoot more than their prescribed limit, you pay extra.

In SD, I believe the Preserve shooting dates are September 1 to March 31. Obviously some wild birds are shot prior to the SD opening date. You really can't tell the difference when the bird is in flight so your final bag is a mix of wild and pen birds.

The preserve operator is required to replace birds that have been shot; not sure about the total. You can google the regs for a preserve license and wade through all the legalese.

Hope this sheds some light on youir question.

Last edited:
There's a small bit of validity to the OP's point. No doubt, there are places in SD that don't want you there unless you are patronizing the locals game farms and lodges. As a non-resident, early on I would go near Mitchell until it became very clear around there that they didn't want you hunting anywhere around there without paying your $XXX per day per gun so we ventured elsewhere.

There are plenty of places if you're willing to look that are less-frequented by hunters and lodges/ranches not so prevalent. Over the past 10+ years we have settled in to a solid hunting spot where we have gotten to know a few of the larger land-owners in the area; getting to know them, treating them with respect, bringing some fresh caught walleyes has gone a long ways. We hunt a nice mix of private and public land, always well after the first two weeks to allow the early-season hordes to get in and get out. We work all day to get a limit but I wouldn't have it any other way. The day I pay someone to take me out for a few pheasants is the day I probably hang it up.

We get it on guyndog he likes to stir the pot,must be bored,but on this pen bird vs wild bird debate I asked a question on another thread and did not get a good answer.I'm a non resident and read and ad in pheasants forever magazine that said we only hunt wild birds but as I read their website it said extra birds $32.00 that does not spound like wild bird hunting to me.Pen birds are pen birds not wild birds so what's up?Just hoping for a good answer as I don't want to be may to believe i'm hunting wild birds when i'm not,pen birds released to the wild are not wild birds.I can hunt those in my home state.

sounds like they do release birds...

I only WISH each wild, public-land rooster I shoot only cost $32.00. I refuse to try to figure out how much each bird is worth at the end of the season. I doubt it would depress me, but as long as I don't know, my wife won't find out either.

HA!!! That's awesome and so true!

.Pen birds are pen birds not wild birds so what's up?Just hoping for a good answer as I don't want to be may to believe i'm hunting wild birds when i'm not,pen birds released to the wild are not wild birds.I can hunt those in my home state.

This is data from the 2013 season but I think it answers your question.

http://www.capjournal.com/news/phea...cle_739c77b2-0e36-11e4-9396-001a4bcf887a.html

By Nick Lowrey nick.lowrey@capjournal.com Jul 17, 2014

Last year slightly more than 434,000 rooster pheasants were released by South Dakota’s private shooting preserves.

A little over half of those birds, 243,099, were imported from nine other states, according to the Animal Industry Board. By the end of the last preserve season 234,590, roughly 54 percent, of the released birds had been harvested.

In all, hunters on shooting preserves harvested 260,426 pheasants in 2013 about 10 percent of those were wild birds.

...Preserves are required to document both how many roosters they release each year and how many birds they harvest as well as how many of the birds their hunters take are wild. Usually, the ratio of pen-raised birds harvested to wild birds is about 80 percent to 20 percent, said GF&P shooting preserve program coordinator Janelle Blaha....

So we attack those who supply facts and reach logical conclusions? And it's not Mommy and Daddy's computer...I bought it with my paper route money.
And..you should be kicked off for calling someone you don't even know a loser. Intelligent

Back