South dakota on the decline

Benelli-butt or whatever your name is. You sound like such a Egotistical democrat.
I'll stand with UGUIDE and Donald Trump! Not sure why he was brought up anyways because we've had
the worst president in the history of the US these past 8 years. He was a heck of a gun salesman though.
I believe some of your points are valid

believe what you want, i have never voted democrat...once...ever. voted republican. egotistical? yup, you got me there! thanks, and have a good day. by the way, all i am saying is that it will be difficult to procure the $ to restore CRP, for example, to the acreage levels we once had. And, even if we could, it doesn't mean that the farmers would choose it...maybe they would...I would love it if they did. honestly, I was going to say "mickey mouse", not "donald duck", but I didn't, for no reason...once I used the donald duck reference, I knew it would get taken as though I meant our president. I didn't mean that. I did vote for him. And I may again. But I do believe he is a buffoon. We only had him to choose from...Hillary is kind of hot, though...

Last edited:
Benelli-butt or whatever your name is. You sound like such a Egotistical democrat.
I'll stand with UGUIDE and Donald Trump! Not sure why he was brought up anyways because we've had
the worst president in the history of the US these past 8 years. He was a heck of a gun salesman though.
I believe some of your points are valid

FYI, The CRP program is part of the USDA. Trump has proposed cutting the USDA budget by $4.7 billion, or 21 percent. Not implying what is right or wrong - just want to make sure that the connection between political support and habitat support is clear.

FYI, The CRP program is part of the USDA. Trump has proposed cutting the USDA budget by $4.7 billion, or 21 percent. Not implying what is right or wrong - just want to make sure that the connection between political support and habitat support is clear.

thanks for pointing that out...I thought we all kinda knew that, but i was wrong....sincerely, benelli-butt

:eek::eek::eek::eek: Up until reading that, I figured it was impossible to spew your drink out of your nose while throwing up a little at the same time.

what was Bill thinking?? Monica?? Like a 20 year old?? really??? I think a woman only becomes REALLY hot when she develops a "waddle", or whatever that skin is called that hangs below the chin, like a turkey...I want to give her waddle a "motorboat", if that means anything to you!!! sorry. too much information....she makes my tongue hard!!!!

Cutting $82 million in the 2018 budget and $1.9 billion over 10 years, one proposal would enroll no acres under the general signup through 2020 and eliminate signing incentive payments and practice incentive payments on all newly enrolled acreage except for the Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program.

This is kind of confusing in reading this, to me anyways.

https://www.obpa.usda.gov/budsum/fy17budsum.pdf

USDA’s total outlays for 2017 are estimated at $151 billion. Roughly 83 percent of outlays, about $126 billion, are associated with mandatory programs that provide services as required by
law. These outlays include crop insurance, nutrition assistance programs, farm commodity and trade programs, and a number of conservation programs.

The remaining 17 percent of outlays, estimated at about $25 billion, are associated with discretionary programs such as WIC; food
safety; rural development loans and grants; research and education; soil and water conservation technical assistance; animal and plant health; management of national forests, wildland fire, and
other Forest Service activities; and domestic and international marketing assistance.

It's from the discretionary funding that CRP gets the money. I'd be happy to see some parts of the USDA budget cut. OTOH, I think the CRP part needs a big increase. :)

View attachment 7443

Oh yah, I remember now. Benelli-Butt is kind of the instigator and person that likes to get everybody riled up on here. Now I remember why I haven't really looked at this site since last pheasant season.

He was elected to cut government, and that's what the guy is doing! People hate when there's no more money coming into their programs. That's why pheasants forever is so important right now, landowners, farmers, etc.
Maken American Great Again. Conservation was dwindling before Trump was elected. Trumps sons hunt, Obama never even knew how to hold a gun.

Relying on Pheasants Forever, land-owners (which means large corporations for most of the agricultural belt of the country), farmers, etc. to provide public access to huntable land or to protect the environment that sustains game animals is a recipe for the end of hunting for the average American. Don't worry, though, Donald's sons will still be able to afford the private ranches and preserves they "hunt" on now.

https://www.obpa.usda.gov/budsum/fy17budsum.pdf

It's from the discretionary funding that CRP gets the money. I'd be happy to see some parts of the USDA budget cut. OTOH, I think the CRP part needs a big increase. :)

View attachment 7443

Excellent post! Good news is all the guys farming corn/beans have farmed conservation out of their system (called an externalized cost of business) so guys like me have to make up for it. That and food stamps might ensure we get the acres we want for 2018 farm bill.

Relying on Pheasants Forever, land-owners (which means large corporations for most of the agricultural belt of the country), farmers, etc. to provide public access to huntable land or to protect the environment that sustains game animals is a recipe for the end of hunting for the average American. Don't worry, though, Donald's sons will still be able to afford the private ranches and preserves they "hunt" on now.

I am losing one camp next year because of a death in the farming family. Hunting at any cost did not factor into equation so 60 or so hunters will lose access to that property. Major life events like that have biggest impact on hunting access.

Released birds

I've been to at least five of Chris's camps--taken many many birds. NO PLANTED BIRDS!!!

Any one else notice the over use of lol--remind any one else of someone else who has been banned?

i live in Ohio and a friend of mine has a hunt club and raises 100000 plus birds a year. He ships 5000 at a time to various lodges in South Dakota to make sure that even a novice hunter can kill limits of birds on said lodge land. I can assure you that Chris at U-guide does not plant birds. My first experience hunting birds in SD was with an outfitter in the Mitchell area that I know planted pen birds. Was not hard to tell.

i live in Ohio and a friend of mine has a hunt club and raises 100000 plus birds a year. He ships 5000 at a time to various lodges in South Dakota to make sure that even a novice hunter can kill limits of birds on said lodge land. I can assure you that Chris at U-guide does not plant birds. My first experience hunting birds in SD was with an outfitter in the Mitchell area that I know planted pen birds. Was not hard to tell.

Early on in the game I drew the line. No strip clubs and no planted birds. Serious dudes coming to hunt from a long distance would not be interested in either. Any correlation? Seems like the guys that went to strip clubs were not able to identify a planted bird. Any correlation?

I read of the lack of habitat, lack of funds, etc....... Wouldn't it be great if we had spent the billions over the last 20 years actually purchasing land, and managing it for recreation and wildlife? Think of how far ahead we would be. Maybe we should start that now???

I read of the lack of habitat, lack of funds, etc....... Wouldn't it be great if we had spent the billions over the last 20 years actually purchasing land, and managing it for recreation and wildlife? Think of how far ahead we would be. Maybe we should start that now???

I understand that the state or Game & Fish buying land for recreation takes it out of a county's tax base. It seems there should be some sort of workable solution to that, like a revenue sharing arrangement from usage/license fees. It might not replace 100% of lost tax revenue but who knows how it would work out.

I would think buying the least productive land and taking it out/keeping it out of production might help the overall ag scene as well.

In short, I'd be in favor of adding some "public" land in any and all states.

Early on in the game I drew the line. No strip clubs and no planted birds. Serious dudes coming to hunt from a long distance would not be interested in either. Any correlation? Seems like the guys that went to strip clubs were not able to identify a planted bird. Any correlation?

In addition to public land dwindling there is a serious shortage of strip clubs in SD, both in quantity and quality. Many "serious dudes that come to hunt from a long distance" are interested in that.

You are correct that we are not interested in planted birds, but yes - we can identify a planted bird by the nostril holes from the blinders.

I understand that the state or Game & Fish buying land for recreation takes it out of a county's tax base. It seems there should be some sort of workable solution to that, like a revenue sharing arrangement from usage/license fees. It might not replace 100% of lost tax revenue but who knows how it would work out.

I would think buying the least productive land and taking it out/keeping it out of production might help the overall ag scene as well.

In short, I'd be in favor of adding some "public" land in any and all states.

We have a neighbor who has a large amount of land in a preserve and also the land is in a permanent grassland easement. It is well know that he does not have many pheasants. Permanent contracts results in land that gets tired and unproductive and there is no programs or funding for renewal of these acres like there is in CRP.

There are ways around that as well.

In Kansas when I was a much younger bird hunter the State leased out State land to be farmed. There were conservation provisions in the lease. For example, I recall a lot of milo fields where the contract required that a certain percentage of the crop be left in place as strips for wildlife to use through post-harvest to the spring. Some of these areas were pretty good hunting for upland and deer.

Maybe they still do it that way. Haven't hunted KS in over a decade.

So it seems to me that State land could be used in a manner much like the way you "farm for pheasants" on your land. It's a win/win from reading some of your articles on how to do that.

Why could the State not require the practices and techniques you use when they offer the contract? I see nothing insurmountable here, just a lack of will. Can't hurt to try, can it?

Back