soil test

greatlawn

I recently had a soil test on the spots that I put food plots in.

Test results
P = 6lbs/acre
K = 165lbs/acre
Ca = 2347lbs/acre
Mg = 656lbs/acre
pH = 5.0

They reccomend

4 tons/acre of limestone.
N 90lbs/acre
P 125lbs/acre
K 80lbs/acre

Here is the problem I am not harvesting the Sorghum it is for habitat. Therefore our budget is very small. I just want better food plots that produce heads on the Sorghum. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks Greatlawn

Your soil ph is low, I have never had to deal with that so I don't know how much effect the lime would have. You obviously need some N and P but the k seems adequate. You know your budget it usually costs money to produce wildlife one way or another. You get to decide how much you want to put into it. Good luck.

I think what you will find is that if you make these applications, they will last much longer where you are not removing tons of product from the site than if you were taking a crop each year. Consider the cost as being spread over several years. You might check with you closest QUWF or QF chapter as they might provide you seed and defray some of that cost. Also consider manure application. You look awhile and you might find a free source for the labor of collecting and transporting it. I do think you'll need to get the ph in control first for everything else to function properly.

The lime is added to make the fertilizer application more effective.
You will still get some production with ferilizer b ut much of the fertilizer will be wasted.
You could add a couple hundred pounds of pelletized lime per acre. Cheaper and easier. Helps short term.
Cow manure has a good balance and builds soil nicely. :thumbsup:

I spoke to Ag Choice today about my soil test. They are great. They evaluated the test and came up with a fertilizer I can get in bulk. The cost is $26 per acre. I am waiting on the lime cost. At that cost we will be fertilizing the whole 8 acres of food plot.

That sounds quite affordable. Make sure to do the lime first. The effectiveness of the fertilizer is dependant upon it. The lime will function for a number of years for you!

Up until this time I had been doing all of the fert and seeding by hand. This time we had a ground driven spreader pulled by a truck and and a seeder on a tractor. I am spoiled now.

Soil test is the way to go. I have better food plot than ever. Milo has large heads. Everything looks great. Thanks to everyone that has helped giving me information.

Greatlawn

Back