Snow!

vrepola

Looks like a good chance of snow Thursday. The one week I can't make the drive up. There is nothing more fun than hunting pheasants in snow!

Looks like a good chance of snow Thursday. The one week I can't make the drive up. There is nothing more fun than hunting pheasants in snow!

I'd say a 40-50 degree day with a 5-10mph breeze and partly cloudy to sunny or overcast and a nice wide open pasture with the birds spread out beats getting wet in the snow any day.

:):D:cheers:

But I hear ya - seeing the tracks and the birds explode out of the roost is pretty cool as long as you get to hunt right after the snow is over.

My shortest limit ever was in 4 inches of new snow! I may have made it 50 yards from where I parked. I hunted with an Alaska friend in 42 below wind chill in the snow and took 3 roosters standing in 1 spot with an O/U in the snow. I finished the limit at the end of the second side of that patch. Birds didn't want to fly or run! Had a quail hunt in the snow where the birds flushed into the tops of trees and even snow balls wouldn't make them fly. I like snow!

The quiet and the obvious signs that birds are there and the fact that it does hold them tighter and bunch them up is the reason I love the snow as well..I have been told stories of Roosters not flying because of snow blindness after some sunny but cold bright white days.. Can't even look that one up to know if it is true...If not, it is a good wives tale!!!:thumbsup::cheers:

Surprised how cold they get

One cold snowy morning, my brother's dog picks up a rooster. We did not see any type of chase. Just a dog with a bird in its mouth. The bird was not stiff but it was very cold. It did not seem to have died recently. Since we did not know what happened to the bird, we left it behind.

A few minutes later, one of us shot a rooster. It felt cold. Like it died a while ago. We went back and picked up the first rooster.

I'll send you some of our snow knee deep on the level. Good for the grouse, they can snow roost now. I do love hunting pheasants in the snow too:10sign:

I'm praying this isn't just another snow tease, like we've gotten multiple times this season. The dogs and I are ready. :thumbsup:

A couple of years ago, I quail hunted in the snow. Found a covey around 10:30 and they were still on the roost.

Best trip we ever had out there was in the snow. When the dogs pointed , the birds flushed right there , no running!

I also enjoy seeing the artistry in the snow from the tail feathers as roosters and hen land. One hunt in Nebraska had a decent amount of snow and my britt went on point, but nothing there but a little hole the size of a softball, I peeked in and saw a couple quail huddle in there. They started to flush and it was like shooting trap, in all 6 birds came out of the hole. I did harvest two and watched the others dive back into the snow. Now it just get startled in the woods with grouse busting out of their snow roost, love the snow in manageable depths.

Yep the snow is great right away. Gotta go hunt it before it gets crunchy! I wouldnt mind snow for a kansas hunt this weekend. As long as it doesnt keep me from driving out there. Last time they shut down I-70 because of ice. We just took 24 and went around. Hopefully those pheasants cooperate this time.

Pretty decent snow in the northern counties in central Kansas extending back to Manhattan area , Concordia has nearly 7" inches of snow , there was a number of school closings in Clould , Clay maybe some in Mitchel and Jewell

Back