Snow ?

The snow was in the western third of the state not in the main pheasant range. Place in the Black Hills got up to 3 feet of snow with 50-60 mph winds. I90 was closed from Murdo (south of Pierre) to the Wyoming border. The rest of the state got a lot of much needed rain so it's quite wet. However, temps next week are suppose to climb back into the 60's and 70's with clear skies so that will help dry things up so harvest can continue. I did hear on the weather that another system may be coming in next weekend.

George: Do you have opening plans?

Yes, that weekend I will on the road heading to Indiana for NSTRA's Dog of the Year Trial. Probably going to miss the first two weekends.

Only the far western pheasant range was hit by this storm (snow) and it will be short lived as its already warming up in the far west. ONLY in SD can you have 200 miles of the interstate closed by a blizzard and at the same time have a mile wide multi-vortex tornado in the same state, the twister crossed I 29 just north of North Sioux City SD.

One sad note was that the Platte PF Chapter was forced to call off the Youth Pheasant Hunt due to weather---damm :(

One sad note was that the Platte PF Chapter was forced to call off the Youth Pheasant Hunt due to weather---damm :(

That's too bad. Those events take some time to put together. Hopefully rescheduling won't be too much of a hassle.

Best of luck.

Nick

Last edited:
Got a report from our Meadow Creek camp near Lemmon and they got 30" of snow and are findings some dead birds.

Reported the like of which they had not seen since the blizzard of 96-97 which was a bird killer. Fortunately limited to the far western range of pheasant in the state.

No report from Timberlake but they appear to be just on the fringe of snowfall amounts.

Last edited:
I traveled 250 miles yesterday scouting from Chamberlain to Pierre which was just east of the snow belt. The birds I did see, were soaked to the gills and it was cold out. This is the 4th day in a row of heavy rains and still raining now at 2am on Sunday. The birds I seen, did not look happy...

Yes, that weekend I will on the road heading to Indiana for NSTRA's Dog of the Year Trial. Probably going to miss the first two weekends.

Is it in Amo, Indiana this year, if so can I ride back to SD with ya and you mail me and my Setter back to Indiana after the hunt?:D

I talked to a guy in Murdo today that said the bad snow was about 30 miles to the west. Said it killed a lot of cows. They did get 3 inches of rain out of the system which has further delayed the harvest, He told me nobody is harvesting in the area yet. He is still telling me that he is seeing birds, but nothing like last year. Going to be tough if crops are still in at the end of the month.

Story
Comments
Image (1)
Print
Create a hardcopy of this page
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size
Lost Livestock
Erick In The Woods
Along SD Hwy 212, dead cattle are being found. There are reports of losses of over 200 head from just one herd, south of Dupree, SD. Travelers came across this scene near the Gerald Woodward ranch, Dupree. Courtesy Photo by Erick In The Woods
Posted: Sunday, October 6, 2013 3:28 pm | Updated: 3:31 pm, Sun Oct 6, 2013.
Francie Ganje | 0 comments
STURGIS, SD – The cost to what is being called one of the worst blizzards in South Dakota’s history will reach into the multi-millions. In Sturgis and other Black Hills communities, collapsed roofs, extended power outages, damage from felled trees, the cost of around the clock emergency response divisions and the equipment needed; and the extra crews that are being brought in – will be the norm in the foreseeable future.
But in the vast expanse of the foothills and prairies north, east, and west of the Black Hills, a huge economic impact is beginning to emerge. Lost livestock, drifting with 60 mile per hour wind gusts and blinding snow, were driven with the storm, trailing over buried fence lines. Those that made it through the blizzard, are still lost or stranded. And reports of hundreds of head of livestock that didn’t make it, are beginning to come in.
According to Meade County Dispatch, owners are attempting to locate lost livestock. Being hampered by poor road conditions and unable to reach livestock once located, is slowing not only that process but an accurate count of how much producers have lost.
Jule Lamb with the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribal Transportation Department, traveling near Dupree on SD Hwy 212 came to a stop, seeing something partially buried by the snow. A closer inspection found cattle, buried two and three deep – near the Woodward ranch. Now, officials are estimating there are many more similar scenes out in the country where many producers haven’t brought their cattle home yet in what is the traditional fall roundup season.
Efforts to reach ranchers Sunday (October 6, 2013) were unsuccessful as all resources – including time – are being spent on trying to salvage what’s left of their livelihood. Emergency agencies have no information – other than reports of cattle wandering. They are over-run with calls from stranded travelers and those searching for them as well as ongoing emergency response needs.
But for those in rural areas - Harding, Butte, Lawrence, Meade and Pennington counties and Crook County in Wyoming - many are still without power and days away from getting it. They are living their own overwhelming reality; no power, impassable roads and trails, and livestock missing or dead. There is an unconfirmed report of one rancher losing 200 head south of Dupree.
Earlier in the weekend, South Dakota Governor Dennis Daugaard declared a state of emergency in western South Dakota and put National Guard troops on the ground to assist with the worst winter storm on record in the Black Hills.
These first early reports of the loss of livestock on the outer plains may bring the Governor closer to declaring a natural disaster – that will pave the way for a federal designation and financial assistance. That is, if elected Congressional representatives supporting the present federal government shut down decide it’s time to stop holding the taxpaying public and their needs, hostage.

Last edited:
Lost Livestock
Erick In The Woods
Along SD Hwy 212, dead cattle are being found. There are reports of losses of over 200 head from just one herd, south of Dupree, SD. Travelers came across this scene near the Gerald Woodward ranch, Dupree. Courtesy Photo by Erick In The Woods
Posted: Sunday, October 6, 2013 3:28 pm | Updated: 3:31 pm, Sun Oct 6, 2013.

Man, that's too bad. Do you know what happened to the cattle that they died off like that from this storm? Were they young/small ones that were buried alive?

Nick

Man, that's too bad. Do you know what happened to the cattle that they died off like that from this storm? Were they young/small ones that were buried alive?

Nick

My farmer friend in Murdo sent this to me when I inquired about the storm. He said they didn't miss it by much, 30 miles or so. He said the wind was blowing so hard it just smothered them. If you get 3-4 feet of snow blowing sideways it would just choke them off if they had nowhere to go. Lucky it didn't hit him, as it would have finished the birds off there for sure. I'm sure three inches of cold rain didn't help much as it is.

Back