Small Munsterlander

Yes, they seem to get good press don't they? I've grown skeptical over the years of reading about various breeds. Almost every breed is described as the best thing since bottled beer. I will say that they are a very nice looking breed and I'd like to hunt over a few to form my own opinion. Rare breeds w/ narrow gene pools are a concern though.

I have a very good friend that has had a SMP for about 6 years. Excellent hunting dog and a great pet. I have another friend in Clark, SD that has SMP's and they also are excellent dogs. But like with any breed, make sure you check out the breeder and the background of the pups. I've seen some SMP's that had realtively short coats and then some that are really wooley. Personally, I like the shorter coats. Better looking and less maintenance.

I have seen a bunch of SM in the SD NAVHDA club. Good dogs. They only thing they lack in my estimation is an intense point. Very good in water and sociable. Have hunted pheasant with a few and have no problem recommending them.
Ray Dejong did a lot with establishing the breed in SD. Julson and Rasmussen are two current breeders in SD.
________
Chevrolet Monza Specifications

Last edited:
sm lander

I have owned & hunted over a smallmunsterlander for 5yrs now.They are a joy to hunt behind and mine at least points very well,tracks good,retrieves very good,and is a no nonsense tough little S.O.B! With that said mine is not very good with water work (poor coat ) at least when the h2o turns cold.If i can help w/anymore ?? please let me know?.....be well....jay

Back