skunk question

Tallgrass

Both my dogs got "Skunked" about a month ago. One of the two took a direct hit to the face - her eyes were watering and red swollen and she was misreable for a while - not to metion the smell!!! The other didn't get hit too bad, but nevertheless he got it too.

Question is do you think this has an effect on their scenting ability for a while? After the skunking they did not seem to be "on their game" for a while. In fact the next weekend neither one of could seem to get their act together at all they were both just downright awful. Recenlty (last 2 weekends and this week) we have been out a few times and they seem to be back to normal and have been doing a good job locating and holding birds.

Anyone else have any similar experience after getting a skunk?

I have had dogs which revelled in getting skunked, would bark, roll around in front of one, roll on a dead one, anything to acquire the scent. So I doubt if it affects their sense of smell for more that a short time. Getting it in the eyes would be nasty, and burn for a while, but it to would subside. biggest challenge I found, was my sense of smell, and the fact that despite all the treatments and washing, the skunky odor returned everytime the dog got a little wet, for a month! Never so glad I had a 6 dog trailer in my life!

yeah the female still smells a bit skunky and it's been a month.

The smell is awful.

The entire story of the "skunking" is a good one. There was more than one skunk. My male actually got a hold of one and tried to retrieve it to us - we were of course trying our best to get away and convince him that we really didn't want the skunk.

The female got hers from a seprate skunk about 30 seconds later, she was misreable for a while, she rolled around and barked and snorted etc, for a while then finally just layed down for a few minutes with the most pathetic look on her face then she got back up and started hunting again.

My most recent encounter was two years ago in Nebraska, female Britt comes upon momma skunk and 5 babies, gets the full measure from all of the above. She spent the night in the trailer, after multiple treatments of tomato juice and lime, vinegar water, etc.,and I swear we could smell her through the closed doors and windows at the motel like she was in the bed. Some dogs never tire of the sport, I hope you can avoid rattlesnakes and porcupines, if not you'll have another story to share, and we'll have another conversation, I've done both of those as well! No tragic results but exciting.

My most recent encounter was two years ago in Nebraska, female Britt comes upon momma skunk and 5 babies, gets the full measure from all of the above. She spent the night in the trailer, after multiple treatments of tomato juice and lime, vinegar water, etc.,and I swear we could smell her through the closed doors and windows at the motel like she was in the bed. Some dogs never tire of the sport, I hope you can avoid rattlesnakes and porcupines, if not you'll have another story to share, and we'll have another conversation, I've done both of those as well! No tragic results but exciting.

Yeah nothing better than bird hunting all day, just too literally getting “Skunked”. Happened to me three day’s ago. The only good thing that I can say is that I am glad that I have never Force Fetched my dogs.

I’ve seen a few cases where one of my friends dog that was force fetched, likes to bring the prize back to their master. Now if the force fetched hound was trained properly, the owner gets to reach down and participate in the event up close and personal.:rolleyes:

I always carry the following in the turck. Works great and is cheaper than anything else.

De-skunk Recipe

- 1 quart peroxide
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 2 tablespoons dishwashing liquid
Mix in bucket and sponge on dog. Rinse off. The odor will be *GONE*.
You can double/quadruple the recipe to make 1/2 gallon - 1 gallon
depending on
the size and length of coat of the affected dog.
Remember this, too - the stuff is safe (don't get it in eyes, though) but,
"A Word of Caution"
"Do Not" try to bottle it or try to put it in a closed container. The
byproduct of the chemical reaction produced is oxygen and contained, the
stuff is explosive. Also, it should be used as soon as it's mixed up.

The reaction doesn't last long.

:thumbsup:

Had one get sprayed right after leaving the truck one day. Got a face full of it. I almost went home then decided to give it a try. She pointed a covey of birds 20 minutes later.

Had another dog bring a live skunk to me one time.

Dad saw a dog pass out after being sprayed when he was a kid. They had driven about 3 hours to quail hunt and had to drive home. She was sick for a couple of days.

Kick 'em Up has a handle on it!

De-skunk Recipe

- 1 quart peroxide
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 2 tablespoons dishwashing liquid
Mix in bucket and sponge on dog. Rinse off. The odor will be *GONE*.
You can double/quadruple the recipe to make 1/2 gallon - 1 gallon
depending on
the size and length of coat of the affected dog.
Remember this, too - the stuff is safe (don't get it in eyes, though) but,
"A Word of Caution"
"Do Not" try to bottle it or try to put it in a closed container. The
byproduct of the chemical reaction produced is oxygen and contained, the
stuff is explosive. Also, it should be used as soon as it's mixed up.

The reaction doesn't last long.

The formula above will ELIMINATE the skunk order. Last dog I treated with the mix was allowed in the house later that night. By the way, the mix only works on organics - translation = doesn't do a good job getting it off the shock collar or any plastic collar.

Bottom line is that the formula above is "base" and skunk spray is acidic (contains mercaptan). I ALWAYS carry a 5 gallon bucket with the H2O2, baking soda, and dishwashing liquid in it. In addition, I throw in a pair of jersey gloves. The gloves keep the hands a bit warmer and help wash the dog. As stated above, don't try and mix it up in advance....won't work and creates multiple problems.

The formula eliminates the smell rather than covering it (tomato juice). Also, tomato juice itself is acidic which actually makes the problem worse over time (takes longer to subside).

The sooner you get the dog into the wash, the better it will work. It's pretty stunning to see it work if you've tried other solutions before.

By the way, you'll need to replace the unused bottles of H2O2 at least once every 5-6 months as the shelf life is relatively short.

Back