Skeet Gun

webguy

UPH Owner/Founder
Staff member
Ok guys. Time for opinions.

I want a skeet/sporting clays gun under $1,500. What do you recommend?

Skeet guns need an open choke, more open than IC. Sporting Clays need something tighter, preferably two chokes, since some targets will be 25 yards and some 45 yards.

If you really want to shoot an auto, Remington 1100, about $800 with screw in chokes, use a skeet choke for skeet and an IC or mod for clays. Damned fine gun, and you can use it for pheasants, ducks, quail, bunnies and geese too.

Shop around and you can find a Browning Citori OU with screw chokes for $1500, maybe even less. I don't own a Citori, but if I were buying a new gun, it's the only gun I'd consider. Superb design and quality. Nothing else near that price even comes close. In the rare event it should ever need repair, any gunsmith will be happy to work on it.

If you ever want to sell it, someone will snap it up in a heartbeat.

There are Czech, Turkish and Russian guns a bit cheaper, but they aren't nearly as good, and who will ever have parts for one of them?

Browning, Browning, Browning. You cannot go wrong.

If you really want to shoot an auto, Remington 1100, about $800 with screw in chokes, use a skeet choke for skeet and an IC or mod for clays. Damned fine gun, and you can use it for pheasants, ducks, quail, bunnies and geese too.

I have a Benelli for a auto already so I'm looking for a OU. Not much of a OU guy, but if I'm going to start shooting a lot, I suppose I'll go with the goods.

For pheasants, you can never have to many shells in the gun. Only way to get a triple if you actually have more than 2 shells in the gun.

Lets face facts I'm a o/u man from way, way back. But I do think the Italians do make some good other style guns also. You most likely seen my post about the new Traditions/ Fausti o/u I got. I therefore recommend them. 1 thing to remember most Skeet Shooters prefer 28 inch barrels, gun weight just a tad over 6 pounds and screw in chokes....Bob

Ok guys. Time for opinions.

I want a skeet/sporting clays gun under $1,500. What do you recommend?

I agree with Jnormanh, Browning Citoris are well proven. 325's , 425's , 525's are just a few of the older sporting models, all built on the Citori basic design. There should be a decent used market for those older models. Unfortunately a new Citori 625 or Cynergy is going to set you back a bit more than $1500. Not much that I'm aware of in new sporting O/U's for that kind of doe. Beretta is another good option when it comes to sporting models. Again your not going to touch a new one for $1500, but might be able to find something used. Don't be wary of used O/U's, most are built to withstand 10's of thousands of rounds before they need to be tightened up. And even then it is not too terribly expensive to get that done.

Last edited:
I'm liking your opinions guys. 28"+ defintely. I'll go check out a few of those you mentioned. I looked on Brownings site and I'd be looking 2,000+. I'll have to go check them out in person and feel the guns.

Keep in mind I'm 6'6" and have huge arms so gun's naturally feel like they are crunched into my body. I've talked with a professional shooter a few years ago and he recommended a stock extender because of my mamouth arms. He thought I would see the sight better with a stock extender.

Are you saying your a knuckle dragger?? :D

Adding some length to a stock is no big deal. Like I said keep an open mind about a used Browning as there may be some good deals that may get you near the $1500 mark.

Ryan, for a Stock Extender, I see a lot of the Morgan System at the Trap and Skeet ranges. They are medal and they also have a built in recoil reducer. The draw back is they add weight to your gun and are not cheap. I would suggest going to a skeet range and seeing what the other shooters are using and get some ideas and cost from them. Being Mr. Average, I get by with most of my guns fitting straight out of the box.....Bob

Last edited:
I'm liking your opinions guys. 28"+ defintely. I'll go check out a few of those you mentioned. I looked on Brownings site and I'd be looking 2,000+. I'll have to go check them out in person and feel the guns.

Keep in mind I'm 6'6" and have huge arms so gun's naturally feel like they are crunched into my body. I've talked with a professional shooter a few years ago and he recommended a stock extender because of my mamouth arms. He thought I would see the sight better with a stock extender.

I gave you a link to a new Citori at $1579, free shipping. That's close enough to your limit of $1500, but you can shop around and maybe do even better. A year ago my local gun shop had them on sale at $1350.

At 6'6", you're a really big guy, and I would not expect any factory stock to fit you well. Most factory stocks are intended for someone about 5'10" amd 180#. A good thick recoil pad, say 3/4", might make the stock long enough for you.

Most folks nowadays think 28" barrels are about right, but a big guy like you might like 30". shoulder a few guns and see.

Well, a small problem...a sporting clays gun and a skeet gun are not the same animal.

Sporting clays gun needs a long site plain and enough weight to keep your swing moving. A skeet gun needs a shorter site plain and a faster swing.

If your just looking for a all around gun for enjoying a day at the range and one that can double as a hunting gun. I would go with a 28" barrel and IMO..it would be tough to beat the Browning Cynergy. They tend to fit well to most shooters, they are very durable, Browning has a great rebate deal going and a 5 year warranty.

Check them out here and you can find a near by gun shop that is willing to do a transfer and except the gun being shipped in for $25.00-$50.00

I have a Cynergy and love it

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.asp

Chuck, I hate to tell you this most of the Skeet Shooters around here are going to 28 inch barrels. Why? They like the smooth, fast swing and follow through the 28 inches gives them. 26 inch barrels have a tendency to stop your swing, if don't make a real conscious effort to keep it going......Bob

Last edited:
Most current skeet guns have 28 inch barrels and many skeet shooters use 12 ga O/Us, with tubes for the other gauges. For $1500 or thereabouts you could find a new B Rizzini Omnium, or a used Citori or Beretta O/U. Choked in skeet/skeet or something close and you will do alright. Get out in a serious skeet competition and you will find a lotta Perazzis, Krieghoffs, Brownings and Berettas. Then you gotta shoot 20 ga, 28 ga and .410 as well in a real tournement.

Sporting clays is a different game, with longer shots, different angles, visual trickery and much tougher shots. Most serious SC guns have at least 30 inch barrels and you will see 32 and even 34 inch barrels. There are also a number of Beretta 391 semi-autos, tricked out with special triggers, weights and more. Most SC shooters used extended chokes which they spend too much time foolin' with rather than just shooting the target.

I do see the very occasional Ruger Red Label at either venue.

Many sporting clays shooters use O/Us as well, but pricer ones.

Best,

Quailguy

Before my eyes went bad. I was using a Ruger Red Label, with 30 inch barrels with choke tubes. I shot Skeet, Trap, Sporting Clays and Upland Birds, with it. Just changing chokes to match what I was going to shoot I still have the gun and use it on occasion. My new Traditions is now my field gun....Bob

Quailguy is right but I think wedguy is just looking for a fun gun and not looking to score gold at the olympics, so a moderate priced o/u is his aim.

Here's a brand new 3.5" wood stocked Cynergy that would cover any and all venues. From geese to skeet for less than $1500.00 after all is said and done BRAND NEW!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=132816473

Than get $500.00 Bucks in Cynergy gear, rebate and a 5 YEAR WARR.

http://www.browning.com/products/promotions/cynergyclub.asp

Maybe a new 28ga BRAND NEW! less than $1300.00

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=132909736

This is a Gorgous 20ga BRAND NEW! $1275.00 plus shipping

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=132492563

AA Gun in Grand Rapids Mn will except the gun being shipped in and do the transfer for $25.00. As will many other gun shops across the state.

Buy a Cynergy you won't be disappointed

Chuck

Last edited:
Hi webguy,

I am 6'7" and right now go a little over 300, and yes, I need to get rid of some fat cover. Have recently begun a plan to get down to 250 - 260, when I get skinnier than that muscle starts to go too.

I am a big ol overgrown midwest farm boy that has baled lots of small square hay bales and stacked them in the barn

So I am familiar about having a heck of a time finding a gun that fits.

I also shoot sporting clays, trap and some skeet, with sporting clays being my favorite by far.

Anyway as to you gun question. skeet and sporting clays guns generally speaking are relatively flat shooting, and 1 gun can easily shoot both sports with ease.

Do you want to use the same gun for hunting, or just clay games? And what percent of use for each?

I have 3 browning 525's, two are 12 gauge and on in 20 gauge, all are sporting clays guns. I also had an adjustable butt plate put on them to drop the pad some and toe it out for a better fit, this modification also lengthened the length of pull about 1/2 inch from how it came from the factory, to a length of 15 1/4 inches which works for me.

I use them for sporting clays, skeet when I shoot it, which is only a few times a year, and doubles trap.

In the 12's one has 30" barrels, the other 32" and the 20 has 32". The 12's are designated "grade I" and are a no bells and whistles blue collar sporting gun, that if you can find one new will run around $1800, at least mine did.

They did not make the sub gauge sporting guns in grade I or the 20 would be one too. There are a few 525's still new in the box, but they have been replaced by the 625.

Big dudes can easily handle the longer barrels, even for skeet, and it helps smooth out the swing.

Anyway the citori brownings are good solid performers, and you may be able to find a decent used one in your price range.

Most importantly if possible handle and possibly shoot different brands and models to see what fits you best.

I do know that the 425 and 525 do not fit the same, I like the 525 better, but others I shoot with do not.

I do not use any of these for hunting, for that I have a 1200 winchester and a wingmaster both of which have had the stocks stretched a bit for me.

Guys, thanks for all the responses. I'm still debating.

Mild Bill, I'm not going to use it for hunting. I already have a Benelli and a 870 which suit me just fine in the field. No way to get a South Dakota triple rooster kill with a O/U. Make sense? Or if in Kansas, how can you shoot 4 birds in case you get that rare 4 rooster flush? Need shells in the gun.

However, now that I've spent a little bit of time at some clubs this summer... I think I love skeet, but prefer the sporting clays courses. I think it's a lot of fun and I beat a few good shooters that had some nice O/U's. I beat them with my Benelli which struggle's with low brass.

Makes sense to me on what you use for hunting, I use either a winchester 1200 or a wingmaster for hunting myself.

the reason I asked about hunting was if you were going to use it for that you might want to avoid ported barrels, they are not so much fun for the noise for your hunting crew.

Ryan, there is an old saying. "Shoot what you hit them the best with." it is a simple saying. But it is true.......Bob

Back