Should I wait until the snow melts?

merlin13

I have a 1 year old Brittany. I am wanting to get him out on some birds at a local game farm. I am new to pheasant hunting and was wondering should I wait until some of the snow melts or go ahead and take him out. Does the snow help or hurt and in what way? Also what is the better temps to hunt this time of year? Is the sub zero and single digit temps we have been having here in MN ok or should I look for one of the warmer days?

If it doesn't bother you or the dog go for it. This winter, waiting for some warmer days seems futile as it just keeps coming. Preserves probably having a down year this year so plenty of birds when March comes??

For myself, I swear the older I get the less tolerable I get of this crap...:rolleyes:

Wind is the big deciding factor for me. With those kind of temps combined with wind makes for an unpleasant day. The dogs feet, especially the pads will be of some concern on really cold days if they are not normally kept outdoors. The crusty hard snow can make for some really tender feet so boots may be something you want to look into if becomes a problem.

Check with the preserve on what their conditions are like. With all the snow, the grass will likely be no good and all that is left is whatever crops they plant.

Nice thing about a preserve you can always take a short break and warm up a bit in the vehicle without going too far.

I would wait until nicer weather. Thats what I did with browndog and had a blast:thumbsup: No sense in making the weather an issue. Good luck and let use know how he did:)

I have a coming 2 year old Britt, and a couple Labs.
My Britt doesn't have the hair and insulation that the Labs have.
That being said the Britt will go until he is totally wet, cold, and shivering uncontrollably.
So no, you don't want your pup to think "this is not fun"

I'd say, wait until most of the snow is gone, 40-50 degree days. Your pup will have LOTS more fun.
You too. :thumbsup:

I have a 1 year old Brittany. I am wanting to get him out on some birds at a local game farm. I am new to pheasant hunting and was wondering should I wait until some of the snow melts or go ahead and take him out. Does the snow help or hurt and in what way? Also what is the better temps to hunt this time of year? Is the sub zero and single digit temps we have been having here in MN ok or should I look for one of the warmer days?

I'd wait until the weather improves and hopefully the snow is gone. You want it to be a positive experience for the dog. Temps in the 30's and 40's are ideal but personally I wait until the snow melts. Heck you are only a month or 2 away from that anyway. Good luck.

My English pointer loves the cold, windy, snowy conditions (at least she acts like she does). But i think it's more of a personal preference. I also think when you have as few birds as Colorado does this year, you need all the help you can get, and that kind of weather really makes it easier to find birds. But at a game farm, i don't think it really matters. And like mnmthunting said, you don't want your dog to not like hunting, so it might be best to start off with comfortable weather.

Conditions

You are dealing with a pointing dog. IMO bare ground and weather / temps in the 30-s & warmer make for much better scenting conditions. Dogs point based on scent.....................

On the other hand if you just wanna have some fun & see what happens......................go for it.

I agree with everyone else....will be much better chance of positive experience without the snow.....not so much the scenting conditions but the chance of birds behaving better and the cover will be better. alot of times birds just run on the snow...that is what you DON'T want for a positive experience with a young pup.....or the birds will be just stuck in the snow and if your pup doesn't point them well...they will be able to catch them....again not what you want.

It's been an impossible Winter here in MN. -21 at 9 am again.
Impossible to get enough exercise for the pups and me.
I go out everyday, tend the cattle the dogs always go. Run and play, full of energy. Got to watch them closely. After 15 mn or so they are hopping around on 3 legs. Time to go back in the cab. Lots of days I let the diesel run.
0 and above doesn't seem to be a problem. 20 below and colder with the windchill would be dangerous.
I have a cabin t the ranch, this Winter for the first time it's not heated.
Extreme cold and cost of energy. :eek:
Sure enough miss it. :(

weather

go when you get the chance, the dog will be better for it. regardless of the weather it is not like you are going to put in a 7 hour day and you can't tell for sure what the scenting conditions are anyway. just do it

cheers

Back