Shotgun fired accidently!!!

jonnyB

I have a Browning Gold 20 ga., 9 years old.

Loaded a shell in the chamber and pressed the release button, holding the bolt about half-way, then releasing, to seat the carriage bolt.

The gun fired without pulling the trigger...the safety was on!

Anyone have this problem?? Fortunately the gun was pointed down range!

Jon

Yes just standing on a road ready to go in and walk. Loaded up, had gun pointed straight up thankfully, and BOOM!!. My Browning Gold Hunter 12 ga. went off, safe on and hand no where near the trigger. I caled it the Browning buddy killer. Got rid of it right away to a guy who knew about it. But don't hunt with him.

The gun fired without pulling the trigger...the safety was on!

Anyone have this problem?? Fortunately the gun was pointed down range!

Jon

GLAD nobody was killed!!

I am a Hunter Safety Instructor.

Gun Safety Rule # 1 "Treat every gun like it is loaded"

Gun Safety Rule # 2 "Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction at all times" Muzzle Control, Muzzle Control, Muzzle Control !!!

Find out what the mechanical problem is with that gun and get it fixed. Then deceide if you keep that gun.

NB

Gun problems

I think I know all the safety rules...you were'nt much help. And duhh - see a gunsmith. Never thought of that.

I think I know all the safety rules...you were'nt much help. And duhh - see a gunsmith. Never thought of that.

JonnyB, no one called you dumb, and no one said you didn't know the safety rules. A Gun that fires with the safety on and the trigger not pulled, is not good. The above quote was not needed. The fact that it happened and you are looking for help, tells us that you don't know why it happened either, ergo, give more info or see a gunsmith.

I know fellow hunters that have had their semi autos fire without finger on trigger and safety on. They weren't Browning Gold's but similar designs.
My first experience with this problem was a dirty trigger group. A good disassembly and throrough cleaning took care of it, but the accidental discharge was always on our minds when we hunted with him. Second experience was with a trigger group that had been greased and the cold weather had made the sear sluggish and fail to fully engage and when the bolt slammed home it let the hammer fly forward. Another good cleaning and oiling in lieu of grease. I have also heard of firing pins sticking forward when the grease froze and creating a slam fire issue.
So good cleaning might take care of the issue. Plus this will give you a good chance to examine for any wear on the hammer, trigger, and sear. If you question any bit of the operation after that take it right to you favorite smith.....

Sorry I even bothered to respond to his post. He must have taken an extra big dose of cranky juice yesterday!!:rolleyes: He ain't no gunsmith guru either.

That gun is an accident just waiting to happen.

Sorry I even bothered to respond to his post. He must have taken an extra big dose of cranky juice yesterday!!:rolleyes: He ain't no gunsmith guru either.

That gun is an accident just waiting to happen.

Yes it is. I would not even blinked, Straight to a gun smith. Praying to god I didn't kill some one or me. There is so many things that could be wrong with this shotgun. Why< Why even mess around with it. Seek pro help and evaluate.

Onpoint. That's to scariest thing I've ever seen. You hunt with this guy??

Last edited:
My Stoger went off twice whenI took it off safe and was putting my finger in the trigger. I took it to a gunsmith and he pulled the trigger and said it pulled easier then a deer rifle. He fixed it and it works just fine. Just to let you know I have only hunted with it a couple of times since. I will continue to try it out till I am sure. I will only use it when I hunt by myself for now. I use my OU when I am with friends because I want to keep my friends!:)

Lazlo

Barring a worn sear, or some damage, I can't imagine that if this was a recurring problem with the design, it would not have been recalled. One thing for sure, if there is a design flaw, somebody will find it, and hire an attorney. I remember the exhibition shooters of the late 50's and 60's, shooting model 12's and figuring out they never released the trigger between shots, result was that the firing pin dropped as soon as the action closed, as they got some wear maybe a little before! Probably can be said of most pumps with trigger block safeties. I hunted with a Browning Gold 20 for years, never experienced any issues, Wife shoots a Browning Gold Fusion lightweight, (aluminum receiver), she loves it and no issues to date, we shoot a lot of targets in the off season. Reports of this type are troubling. Hopefully the poster will let us know what he finds out. Solid gun safety and good fortune rule the day, better to find out like that than the alternative. By the way, probably not the gun you want to use while road hunting, loaded in the car, in South Dakota!

Last edited:
We need to buy the guy in the video a model 1911 winchester auto loader. the one with the knurled barrel end, designed, deliberately I might add, so you can cock it by pushing the barrel down while pointed up at you face. Known with affection as the "widow maker". I can't believe Winchester didn't go broke with lawsuits for that one! But it says something about assumed risk and personal responsibility then as apposed to now! Still a sensationally bad design. Some of the early farm equipment would put that to shame.

Happened to me with sxs once. Broken firing pin, second barrel, which saw far less use than the first barrel. I could not beleive it as auto safety, double trigger and I do not carry with my hand anywhere near a trigger. Had just shot at a bird about a minute before and walked abot forty yards. Was embarrassed until I found out the problem later.(IPUT THE GUN UP RIGHT AWAY) The problem is you have no way of predicting a firing pin break.

Hmmm, broken firing pin. I did fire the gun after this misfire episode and it worked fine.

It's now on it's way to a gunsmith at Morristown, Mn. that does Browning's warranty work (Ahlman's.)

Thanks for the messasge.

Jon

Hmmm, broken firing pin. I did fire the gun after this misfire episode and it worked fine.

It's now on it's way to a gunsmith at Morristown, Mn. that does Browning's warranty work (Ahlman's.)

Thanks for the messasge.

Jon[/Q
maybe a badly seated primer or a soft primer? seen it happen with reloads.
did you get the shotgun to repeat the slam fire?

Thanks for the messasge.

Jon

Good for you jon, I'd say that's a great call on your part. I hope it all works out for you.:thumbsup::10sign::cheers:

Misfire...

Here's an addendum to the misfire story...I was using new shells in the gun, not reloads.

Will post the results of the gunsmith diagnosis when I learn more. Thanks for all the very informative replies to this issue.

In any event, I'll probably dispose of the gun.

Here's an addendum to the misfire story...I was using new shells in the gun, not reloads.

Will post the results of the gunsmith diagnosis when I learn more. Thanks for all the very informative replies to this issue.

In any event, I'll probably dispose of the gun.

New ammo for me as well. Since mine hit the road I don't know the trouble, just that it was a clean, new gun. I just don't keep junk around, especialy one that can kill someone. Hope you get your gun back and have no issues again.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the message...

Both of my guns have been significantly altered with hand grips at the forend and rear stock, due to an arm disability - looks like a Thompson sub machine gun from WW2 days. Also, the rear stock has been cut to the minimum (shortened) so I can swing it to my altered shoulder.

Any new gun I purchase will necessarily undergo the same alteration and obviously lower the value of the gun. Oh well, it will probably be worth it for peace of mind.

Jon

Remember the Remington 700 they still deny it, even with the designer saying there faulty.
I had one that wouldn't fire then 3 seconds later it would. gooone

Back