Short report/ Stuck buck

Husker

Went back to the farm this weekend to check on the birds and look for a few sheds. Just thought I'd give a little report. The birds look great, they all seem very fat and if I wouldn't have known better I would have thought it was Sept. 1st and we didn't kill a rooster the year before! There was no snow on the ground and the cover was very lush. In the 3 hours I spent there we flushed 100's and 100's of birds! I'd say if we can get a couple more weeks of this weather 2012 numbers will be good!

I did find a half dozen sheds, but not the set I was looking for. Found a buck stuck between a couple trees in a spot we call the "sanctuary" and never hunt. Not a good way to die!

Steve
2012-02-19_15-39-43_337.jpg

2012-02-19_15-39-32_735.jpg

2012-02-19_15-39-23_607.jpg

2012-02-19_15-39-56_915.jpg

Glad to see the birds are doing well but it is all about the hatch.

Glad to see the birds are doing well but it is all about the hatch.

That said be sure to encourage all the farmers to sharpen up the moco's and disc bines so they are ready to mow alfalfa at the height of the nesting season. Whats a brood here or a hen there anyway. Dumbies ought to nest somewhere else anyway, they are interferring with serious agriculture.

Not true. Every month in the years bears its final toll on pheasant numbers.

Of course winter survival rate matters, but I would take a good hatch over a good winter every time.

Last edited:
Glad to hear the birds are having a easy winter! Every day that passes makes next season that much better. All we need now is a average spring and things should be back to 2010 numbers :D

That said be sure to encourage all the farmers to sharpen up the moco's and disc bines so they are ready to mow alfalfa at the height of the nesting season.

You say this as if there was another option as to mowing alfalfa at the height of nesting season.

Here is the text. Glad it died. From the looks of it you could only buy one NR licesnse of either kind. That would have sucked.

FOR AN ACT ENTITLED, An Act to revise the allowable time periods for use of nonresident small game hunting licenses.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF SOUTH DAKOTA:
Section 1. That § 41-6-17 be amended to read as follows:
41-6-17. It is a Class 2 misdemeanor for a nonresident to hunt, take, or kill small game, other than migratory waterfowl, without a nonresident small game license or in violation of the conditions of the license or the rules of the Game, Fish and Parks Commission. It is a Class 2 misdemeanor for a nonresident to hunt, take, or kill dove and snipe without a nonresident small game license and a migratory bird certification permit, or in violation of the rules of the Game, Fish and Parks Commission. It is a Class 2 misdemeanor for a nonresident to hunt, take, or kill sandhill crane without a nonresident small game license or nonresident waterfowl license and a migratory bird certification permit, or in violation of the rules of the Game, Fish and Parks Commission.

A nonresident small game license, except as otherwise provided in this title and except for the taking of migratory waterfowl, entitles the licensee to all of the privileges of a resident small
game hunting license for two periods of five consecutive days or as provided under the nonresident small game flex program established pursuant to section 2 of this Act.
Section 2. That chapter 41-6 be amended by adding thereto a NEW SECTION to read as follows:

The nonresident small game flex program is hereby established. Under the program an additional two thousand five hundred nonresident small game licenses that are each valid for five two-day periods may be issued. Licenses under the program may only be issued by the Department of Game, Fish and Parks and only via the internet. The Game, Fish and Parks Commission may provide for other combinations of days in rules promulgated pursuant to chapter 1-26 if the total number of days for which the license is valid does not exceed ten and if the total number of licenses issued under the program does not exceed two thousand five hundred. No person may be issued more than one nonresident small game license for use in the same hunting season. Fees for the nonresident small game license shall be set by the Game, Fish and Parks Commission in rules promulgated pursuant to chapter 1-26, and the commission may establish a higher fee for licenses issued under the nonresident small game flex program.

Back