Shooting percentage

Bob Peters

I'm just wondering, of the number of shots you take, what percent do you hit? And what do you think the percent is for the average hunter? Only parameters on my question is wild roosters and make-able shots.

I'm just wondering, of the number of shots you take, what percent do you hit? And what do you think the percent is for the average hunter? Only parameters on my question is wild roosters and make-able shots.

At one point last year I had killed 12 of the 14 roosters I had shot at. Seems like I ended up something like 17 of 22 all with a 20 gauge. Just didn't shoot very many last year. Now some of those I probably killed on the second shot but a very good percentage and that is how I generally shoot every year. My son and I used to set goals when dove hunting. We would take one box of shells a piece to try and fill our 15 man limit. Back in the day when I was younger I seemed to go through a lot of shells.

I would imagine the percentage on pheasants is well below 50%. Most people shoot at every bird they see whether they are 15 yds away or 50 yds plus. Those long shots equal a lot of crippled birds. But I used to kill a few pheasants that I stepped off to be 50 yds with the 12 gauge. I don't shoot at them that far with the 20 gauge.

Last edited:
Some days I go two for two and then mis the next 3 shots. Other days I get one good chance and miss, frustrating if that is your ony shot of the day. I would like to think I am a little better than 50%. When I was shooting sporting clays, which is as close to actual hunting shots as you can get I was about 75%-80% on any given week. My best was 90%.

Started the 2018 season with 13 of 14 , almost all on the first shot. Than I went back to normal. Several years ago I can remember on the last day of hunting missing 7 in a row. Now with a few more years under my belt I think I'm around 2/3. Some days 3 shells are all I need, other days the whole box as it seems I might as well throw the shells at the birds. Shoot a few more clays now and keep the dogs in closer, that seems to help my percentages.

Interesting question. For my thin & dusty dime, I consider flushing roosters and honkers that are just about to land in the spread the easiest shots in wingshooting. I can't give a percentage, but I can advise when it comes to roosters I don't miss many that the Wrecking Crew flushes inside of 25 yards.

Just my observation & theory, over the years it's become clear to me that the guy/gal who can mount their shotgun quickest & as such is fast on the bird are the most successful. I firmly believe that when a bird flushes inside of 25 yards a hunter has about 1.5-2 seconds tops to get the shot off before the bird is at full speed and putting a zip code between he & you. As such, mounting the shotgun smooth & fast is absolutely crucial to rooster hunting success. This is a perishable skill, even for someone like me after all the years. In the off season, for every round I shoot at clays I probably practice mounting the various shotguns I use (no two come to the shoulder the same) 20 or more times times. It costs nothing but time to practice this skill and pays big dividends come fall.

I've never hunted over pointers in my life, the following applies to hunting over labs or walking birds up w/o dogs. In my opinion, carrying the shotgun ready to mount when hunting is crucial to a smooth, quick shot (at port arms or in a butt rest as opposed to in the crook of the arm or over the shoulder). If the dogs are hunting, you need to be ready to shoot. Every year I see people walking with their shotgun in the crook of their arm or over the shoulder when a bird flushes and by the time they mount the shotgun, it's out there where a hit is unlikely if they even get a shot off. What's the point of spending the money to come out here & walking the miles if one isn't able or is unwilling to capitalize on opportunities?

Holding a shotgun at port arms for extended periods is tiring, no doubt. My wife has this issue even with her little lightweight Beretta A300. We take frequent breaks to rest & hydrate both we & the labs, nothing says you have to march through the cover non-stop like Grant taking Richmond. I just bought Toni a nicely designed shotgun holster made by Peregrine Field Gear for this fall. I might even pick one up for myself...

Last edited:
Labs thinking on holding your shotgun is shared by me also. I agree in full with the statement "If the dogs are hunting, you need to be ready to shoot." It takes concentration on your activity, you aren't just out on a casual walk with your dog, I do take my hunting more serious than most, but I shoot more birds than most. Back to the question, I seldom go 3 of 3 on shells, maybe on birds, but there are a couple days mixed into the season that will ruin my shot percentage, some of those misses leave me sctatching my head wondering "what went wrong"....but not scratching too long, the next rooster could be about to flush! Maybe someday, I will do this activity for relaxation, but for me it is an enjoyable activity I love, but not nessacarily "relaxing". I guess we all have different motivations.

I don't just shoot at pointed birds, but that is what I prefer to do. I always try to get on the rooster before his landing gear goes up. The faster that you get on them the more likely I will kill the bird. My uncle always said be ready, don't carry your gun like a suitcase or on your shoulder.

Shooting wild flushing birds that the dog doesn't run up I would guess my percentage is about like a good 3 point baskeball shooter...40%

Got me thinking. There are those days that it seems I couldn't hit anything, thank goodness there aren't many. I've seen that Garmin has put out a tool to show where your shot pattern is in relation to the clay . I believe it is called the AERO. The club I belong to is thinking about getting one for helping the kids. I think it might help me. Has anyone tried it?

It's kind of interesting. I watch Youtube videos of people who rattle off 3+ shots practically before their gun is fully mounted.
The ability to relax when a rooster flushes comes with experience, as well as confidence in your shooting & confidence in your dog's ability to recover basically any bird that hits the ground.
I've been hunting these birds all my life & am fortunate to get out about 25 times a year. I usually know where/when to find them & how to get shots. So I tend to get quite a few shot opportunities through the course of a year.
All wild birds on public land & flushed by a doofus springer.
When I first got a GoPro & head mount, I was surprised how quickly I could drop a bird that flushed 35 yards out. And it doesn't feel rushed.
And I'm able to take that extra second to really see the bird on the ones that flush closer.
But I wasn't always that way. I still remember the hurried feeling I'd get sometimes. I just don't get that feeling anymore & my shooting reflects it.
On reasonable shots inside 50 yds (i.e. not long straight-aways), I'm thinking I probably make 85-90% of them (maybe 65% from 35-50 yds); probably 95% inside 35 yds.
It's also been sort of interesting (to me) how the "deadness" of downed birds has increased dramatically over the years.
Still, every year, I have 1 or 2 that just mystify me.

Last edited:

I always shoot 100% when hunting alone??!! .410 1/2 oz. up to 50 plus yards-birds dead in the air always�� Some have asked how my dogs are on cripples? Don’t know —NEver had one!!��

With other people around AKA Witnesses—Not quite so good—����

Someone may take this serious!

I always shoot 100% when hunting alone??!! .410 1/2 oz. up to 50 plus yards-birds dead in the air always�� Some have asked how my dogs are on cripples? Don’t know —NEver had one!!��

With other people around AKA Witnesses—Not quite so good—����

Someone may take this serious!

David, You are full of the one-liners today!

Actually I like to wing tip the birds as my dogs are so good on runners. Than when they disappear over the horizon I can take a break until they bring the bird back. At least that is what I tell everybody.

over the last 15 years average about a box and a half of ammo, a good year just over a box, a bad year shooting two or a little more boxes. But I practice all year shooting live flyers for field trials and our local dog pros. This is the first year in the last 30 that neither are happening I'm hoping it doesn't affect my shooting in the fall

Interesting question. For my thin & dusty dime, I consider flushing roosters and honkers that are just about to land in the spread the easiest shots in wingshooting. I can't give a percentage, but I can advise when it comes to roosters I don't miss many that the Wrecking Crew flushes inside of 25 yards.

Just my observation & theory, over the years it's become clear to me that the guy/gal who can mount their shotgun quickest & as such is fast on the bird are the most successful. I firmly believe that when a bird flushes inside of 25 yards a hunter has about 1.5-2 seconds tops to get the shot off before the bird is at full speed and putting a zip code between he & you. As such, mounting the shotgun smooth & fast is absolutely crucial to rooster hunting success. This is a perishable skill, even for someone like me after all the years. In the off season, for every round I shoot at clays I probably practice mounting the various shotguns I use (no two come to the shoulder the same) 20 or more times times. It costs nothing but time to practice this skill and pays big dividends come fall.

I've never hunted over pointers in my life, the following applies to hunting over labs or walking birds up w/o dogs. In my opinion, carrying the shotgun ready to mount when hunting is crucial to a smooth, quick shot (at port arms or in a butt rest as opposed to in the crook of the arm or over the shoulder). If the dogs are hunting, you need to be ready to shoot. Every year I see people walking with their shotgun in the crook of their arm or over the shoulder when a bird flushes and by the time they mount the shotgun, it's out there where a hit is unlikely if they even get a shot off. What's the point of spending the money to come out here & walking the miles if one isn't able or is unwilling to capitalize on opportunities?

Holding a shotgun at port arms for extended periods is tiring, no doubt. My wife has this issue even with her little lightweight Beretta A300. We take frequent breaks to rest & hydrate both we & the labs, nothing says you have to march through the cover non-stop like Grant taking Richmond. I just bought Toni a nicely designed shotgun holster made by Peregrine Field Gear for this fall. I might even pick one up for myself. Those are good points.Be fast, and be ready. You cant be at port arms all the time, your arms would fall off.Ive always been lightning quick with a shotgun, it's my strong suit.It really helps on public land, to be fast. Also, just being hunting savvy pays off.I watched 3 guys from Wisconsin hunt a place yesterday, and I knew they would get skunked because they didn't realize how to hunt it, plus they were deer hunters.

Back