sharptail grouse recipes

jfreeman

I have never cooked sharptail or prarie chickens and need some good recipes for them if anyone has any I would love to hear them.
Thanks

I like to fry them in bacon grease right out of the gamebag, seared and rare. No hanging, no marinade, no fancy sauce. I don't think they travel well. So sooner than later. As good as beef. Salted and peppered to taste. Great flavor of the prairie, one of my favorites. Now Sage Grouse are a different problem!

agree with everything that has been said...stir fry is great! marinate in an asian dressing for a good amount of time first....really like poppers, too...marinate in zesty italian dressing, put a piece of red pepper and a piece of pepperoni, and then bacon wrap...grill til the bacon looks done...awesome! tenderize the meat with a rolling pin before marinating...make the size of the pieces of meat about like a credit card, maybe a bit longer...2 toothpicks per popper...a real treat! While hunting this year we marinated some fresh sharpies in zesty italian and grilled over charcoal...had some salt and pepper and a bit of cajun seasoning....wow!!!!!!!

Young birds are best cut up dusted in flour and eaten at some remote camp on the prairie. :)
The old ones are tough and a bit "gamey" Put the whole bird in a crockpot. Add some cabbage, a sliced rutabaga and/or carrots, celery. Couple cans of cream of Chicken soup. Cream of celery or mushroom does the job too.
Seansoning whatever to taste.
Cook it until the meat falls off the bone.:cheers:

I agree any duck recipe will do. I cooked it last year and that is some dark meat I soak in salt water and beat with a mallet and soaked again in salt water.
These are recipes from DU. one is garlic and pepper and the other is peppers and mango.I have tried with goose not even close to as good as SharpTail
016-2.jpg

The Whiskey always helps
017-2.jpg

I agree any duck recipe will do. I cooked it last year and that is some dark meat I soak in salt water and beat with a mallet and soaked again in salt water.
These are recipes from DU. one is garlic and pepper and the other is peppers and mango.I have tried with goose not even close to as good as SharpTail
016-2.jpg

The Whiskey always helps
017-2.jpg

Lee, ol' buddy, you're makin' my mouth water. I'm going to have to get over and visit Rick and then come see you and your lovely wife. Keep the Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey available!

The Whiskey is gone it's always gone:rolleyes:

But they make more bring Rick with you for supper just let me know a head of time :cheers:

Best Recipe for Pheasant or Grouse

I have never cooked sharptail or prarie chickens and need some good recipes for them if anyone has any I would love to hear them.
Thanks

What's been posted is all good, but here's my favorite. Try it and I will bet you agree.

You will need a large covered skillet.

Take your birds and quarter them, just like the chicken you see in the store---legs with thighs attached, breasts cut in half down the middle, with back intact.

Brown in olive oil with a pat of butter for flavor.

Set aside.

In the same pan, brown two chopped onions, some minced garlic (not too much) , two cups chopped celery, and two of those bins of sliced fresh mushrooms you can buy in most grocery stores.

Once the veggies have been sautéed pour in two cups heavy whipping cream. Lay the browned pheasant breasts and legs on top of the veggies and cream.

Use a large covered skillet to do this in. Then set the temp to simmer. Let it simmer for about 45 minutes. All those flavors will seep into the bird, and the steam will keep it nice and moist.

Cook up some Uncle Ben's or whatever wild rice mix you like and serve it up. I like to pull the meat from the bones and serve it all on top of the rice with the mushroom/onion/celery cream lathered over the top.

Yum!

Sharptails have a different taste. Some like them, most do not. I personally can't stand them and have tried about every way possible to fix them. but then I don't really care for duck either so maybe some of those duck recipes would work on Sharpies. Of course you can make just about anything eatable when you wrap bacon around it. :)

Back