Sending dog for training

ScottH

So the more my pup hunts the more I think he is going to need force fetched. He refuses to pick birds up after being shot. So only issue I have is he has to go 4-6 weeks away from the family. Now I’m sure a lot are like suck it up but I truly feel bad. He’s a good dog who loves being with us. Does going away this amount of time affect his feelings towards his family? May sound stupid but this is my concern

We've all probably been in your shoes. But the answer is NO! Your dog will come back and it will be as if he never left. Sending a dog away for training is much harder on the owner than the dog. Just do it. In the long run you will be happier with a properly trained dog. Make sure he is going to a reputable trainer that has a nice, clean facility and that he will be cared for like you expect. Good luck.

Thank u this guy has kennels with dog runs. AC and heat. Dogs stay in basement. I’ve hunted at this guys preserve a few times guys super nice and seems to know what to do. Thing I liked was he hates to force fetch shows he has a heart!!!

The dog will have the time of his life getting to train everyday. When he comes home it will be like he never left. Now you have to do the hard part and maintain the standard of the trainer.

Jmo—
Had very nice 2 year old yellow female with me 6 weeks for training and pheasant introduction in S.D. this year—dog very attached to it’s family.
‘Bonded with me after a few days—(I brought her home a week before leaving to give her a chance to become comfortable with me”)
She was with me 24/7 for all that time including sleeping on the bed with me and the other dogs-very loving and attentive pup-
‘On pulling into owners yard —she was extremely excited to be home and see her family after a little time was right back in her normal grove
So don’t give a thought to your worry about attachment—in fact when you pick your pup up if he ‘she seems attach or attentive to the trainer it is a positive-
JMO

So the more my pup hunts the more I think he is going to need force fetched. He refuses to pick birds up after being shot. So only issue I have is he has to go 4-6 weeks away from the family. Now I’m sure a lot are like suck it up but I truly feel bad. He’s a good dog who loves being with us. Does going away this amount of time affect his feelings towards his family? May sound stupid but this is my concern
Do not send your dog away.He has an aversion to blood.One of my labs had it.I worked with her, with a retriever, and she eventually retrieved wild birds. It's kind of a puppy thing.

Do not send your dog away.He has an aversion to blood.One of my labs had it.I worked with her, with a retriever, and she eventually retrieved wild birds. It's kind of a puppy thing.
REALLY??? YOUR SERIOUS?? GOOD LORD!!
So if he threw the dog a raw t-bone he would avoid it?

So he dosent mind blood he will bite the crap out of them just won’t pick it up. He was shocked retrieving by a trainer and I’m being told he is basically taking it out on the birds now by biting them not retrieving them as the shock was caused by the bird

I would think your dog would need to be gone for more than 4-6 weeks for training. Obedience needs to be solid before force fetch and the dog will also need to be collar conditioned. Most quality trainers have a minimum 3 month program.

Oh ok yea this is my first dog. He does well listening. Not amazing but does ok so he will need some work no doubt

My suggestion would be to put him through a 3 month gundog program through a quality proven program. You will have a happier dog and a better hunting companion.

Short answer is no, it won't. In fact when it gets back, I would bet it's even a better companion and it will love to train even more.

I send all of my pups to a pro trainer to do FF/CC, after their OB is rock solid and their adult choppers are fully in. This ends up being 10 to 12 months old, depending on when the pro can take them.

I firmly believe it does the pup a lot of good to train with a pro at this point, and it does me as his owner/trainer/handler good to get a break from training. I would saw on average my pups have taken 2 months to complete FF/CC. some a little sooner and some a bit later...

Back