Seeing many birds in KS?

With the crops coming out are you seeing many birds in KS? Either quail or Pheasants? Farmer in Central IL said their quail numbers are way up from what he can tell. Said dry summer had no impact from a good spring hatch.

What we have here a site which encourages everyone to come too, and to see advertisements, get viewship numbers to get more dollars. All the responders are the entertainment. It's what going to be that way until we make it a pay-per-view, and have a closed group of clientele. I doubt that is the goal, and frankly, I don't see the point. If you don't like the question, ignore it. Any information you send out, assume that the entire world sees it.

Thanks for the support. I turkey hunted just over the border in NE this past spring and saw a lot of quail and pheasant. Wasn't too far from KS. There could be good numbers up in NW KS from what I saw in Southern NE.:cheers:

Thanks for the support. I turkey hunted just over the border in NE this past spring and saw a lot of quail and pheasant. Wasn't too far from KS. There could be good numbers up in NW KS from what I saw in Southern NE.:cheers:

Sounds like you answered your own question! :cheers:

Getten Birdy,

We got bird numbers like we haven't had in years...maybe ever! I'd say after a couple of days in the field, you'll agree!

Point!

In Kansas, 2011 was the hottest year on record! 2012 was the driest year on record and the second hottest! With that out there, do you really expect the bird populations to have done anything but go down??? Pheasants, and more dramatically quail, have a short life span. When reproduction is competing against the worst conditions on record, recruitment will be severely limited. The adult population is aging day by day and is also subjected to significant mortality due to poor habitat conditions and ever shrinking useable space. 2012 was a tough year in most of the state and 2011 will be worse. The numbers I've heard were that we harvested 500,000 pheasants killed last season and predictions are we will struggle to harvest 300,000 this season. Compare that to predictions for South Dakota in the 1-2 million+ range and, if you really expect to "wade through birds", you should know where to point your vehicle.

After these past few years I believe the Kansas strain of Ringneck Pheasant is the hardiest, toughest and smartest bird out there!!!! Otherwise there would be absolutely no birds!!! That is how bad the Drought and heat have been! Hoping the cycle changes and everyone can be happy,happy,happy!!!:cheers:

In Kansas, 2011 was the hottest year on record! 2012 was the driest year on record and the second hottest! With that out there, do you really expect the bird populations to have done anything but go down??? Pheasants, and more dramatically quail, have a short life span. When reproduction is competing against the worst conditions on record, recruitment will be severely limited. The adult population is aging day by day and is also subjected to significant mortality due to poor habitat conditions and ever shrinking useable space. 2012 was a tough year in most of the state and 2011 will be worse. The numbers I've heard were that we harvested 500,000 pheasants killed last season and predictions are we will struggle to harvest 300,000 this season. Compare that to predictions for South Dakota in the 1-2 million+ range and, if you really expect to "wade through birds", you should know where to point your vehicle.

That was a good post Prairie Drifer, just what I was thinking. I still find it hard to believe we harvested 500,000 roosters last year in Kansas.

Come on rookie what kind of stupid question is that! Only a newbie idiot would ask a question like that. Haven't you heard of the search feature?

Just last week one of the best most experienced members of this forum already started a thread like yours and it pretty much answered every question you could ever want to know.

Just kidding man they gave me crap about asking about bird numbers. I think everyone is just so pissed at the drought that they are sick of telling people how bad it really is.

I have been seeing a lot of birds in my travels around Kansas, mostly the jayhawk species.;)

Come on rookie what kind of stupid question is that! Only a newbie idiot would ask a question like that. Haven't you heard of the search feature?

Just last week one of the best most experienced members of this forum already started a thread like yours and it pretty much answered every question you could ever want to know.

Just kidding man they gave me crap about asking about bird numbers. I think everyone is just so pissed at the drought that they are sick of telling people how bad it really is.

A couple of years ago someone got on one of these how many birds you seeing posts and Said there were birds everywhere in such and Such county. Well lots of people flocked to Said county and then didn't see the bird numbers they had planned to see. So they drive home pissed that this guy had posted about all the birds he was seeing and how come their hunt wasn't what they had hoped for. All signs say the numbers won't be real good. So get out and hunt and When you stumble on a few more than you expected you will call it a great day and when you don't-well that is what you expected.

I've pretty much made up my mind on where I'm going to hunt this year. I have enjoyed hunting in Kansas so much over the last couple years I can't wait to get up there this year.

It's pretty clear that its going to be tough but the harder it is the more we can brag about our dogs, and that picture with the few roosters we get will get pointed to as a true trophy.

A couple of years ago someone got on one of these how many birds you seeing posts and Said there were birds everywhere in such and Such county. Well lots of people flocked to Said county and then didn't see the bird numbers they had planned to see. So they drive home pissed that this guy had posted about all the birds he was seeing and how come their hunt wasn't what they had hoped for. All signs say the numbers won't be real good. So get out and hunt and When you stumble on a few more than you expected you will call it a great day and when you don't-well that is what you expected.

all kinds!!!!Just not many phez.
If you like meadowlarks or hawks,then you are in for a real treat

I actually saw 8 domesticated chickens out in the middle of a big CRP field last weekend as I did some scouting. No homes close-by.

I've pretty much made up my mind on where I'm going to hunt this year. I have enjoyed hunting in Kansas so much over the last couple years I can't wait to get up there this year.

It's pretty clear that its going to be tough but the harder it is the more we can brag about our dogs, and that picture with the few roosters we get will get pointed to as a true trophy.

+1

I'm going to hunt and have fun whether I see many birds or not.

While the birds are fun they are not the main thing I am after when I go hunting.

Cass

P.S. I found this when hunting last year. :)

IMG_0551e.jpg

Back