SD Resident Opener Reports?

First residents opener I've ever missed I think. Ace wasn't happy.
But I was in Mpls, watching my daughter perform in a marching band competition.
A very close 2nd place out of 31 bands & they kicked it out of the stadium for finals.
Similar to hunting with kids & dogs, I love watching them having a blast while doing utterly amazing things.
20211009_154202.jpg

While my days in marching band are over it was always a toss up for me when marching band and hunting season collided. I figured I could hunt my whole life so went with the band. Anyways, I got out Saturday and today. Saw 25 birds in about a two hour span on Saturday. Got a shot at one of them. For some reason they were all very jumpy and flushed well ahead of us and the dog. Tried a different spot today. Got up at least 40 on 2.5 hours. Some got up wild but got a few to sit and we ended up losing one and bagging three. Temps were really warm both days. So didn't get to hunt as long as we desired. Was surprised at the lack of hunters out over the weekend though. Beans are almost all done with corn going out fast. Good luck to everyone next weekend. I will be at work as I have opted to pass on the regular opener any more.

I didn't get out over the weekend. Company on Saturday and weather was crappy on Sunday. Got out this afternoon to a GPA. My dog produced 4 hens but that was it. We were only in the field for a little over an hour because it was quite warm and the dog was getting heated.

I hunted a short stint in Saturday. Got 3 nice points on hens in the Chamberlain area. Drove to Presho on Sunday morning scouting 45A deer. Hunted about 2 hours out there and like the day before, 4 points, all hens. Did not see many hunters. Man. Is it wet at Presho and looks to be more coming in. No chance of driving a MM road. Almost got stuck in a field approach. I did hunt one day at Big Bend Ranch and got some great dog work. Old dog got diagnosed with terminal cancer earlier, so I'm going to be taking her as much as I can. vmatxsls06951267216266657-1-IMG952950.jpg

Ditto on Chestle's comment. Hoping you find a few of those roosters!

A5, you should have stayed over for the game Sunday, one of the best come-backs, other than The Miracle, I can remember for the Vikings. It would have been a fun game to have been at....assuming you like the Vikings. The Hawkeyes won too, a good weekend for the teams I like.

I'm putting a video together of the weekend, but this will do for now:

I went out for an hour or so each day. I saw quite a few birds. I bagged a few birds. I saw some mature birds. I saw some birds that were barely able to fly. Crops were coming out like crazy on Saturday, but rain put a halt to that. I'd guess the farmers will be back in the field by Thursday, as long as they don't get any more rain.

Pheasants are survivors. It's gonna be an awesome year.

Remy, the Vikings had to make an epic comeback. To beat the Lions. Let that sink in. hahaha. Sorry, I couldn't resist! My favorite teams have my fantasy players that perform well. It was a fun weekend in the NFL.

Remy, the Vikings had to make an epic comeback. To beat the Lions. Let that sink in. hahaha. Sorry, I couldn't resist! My favorite teams have my fantasy players that perform well. It was a fun weekend in the NFL.
The Vikes might have won but the play calling was horrible. When you have a QB that completes 25 of 34 passes (73%) for 275 yards and a running back that gains 113 yards on 25 carries you should score more than one touchdown. The game shouldn't have even been close. Thielen only had 2 catches and those were in the last 37 seconds of the game. They only threw to him 3 times. I still claim Zimmer just can't get it done and needs to be replaced.

We hunted on GPA, brother came down with his two dogs, one is on its first year so wanted to see how well they will work together. Anyways, we hunted for about an hour. Flushed five roosters, bagged one, missed two and the other two flushed too far away. Also flushed a few hens. The GPA consisted of a nice tree belt with harvested soybeans then a nice slough. Not sure why they planted beans on a GPA since bean fields don't leave any cover. 1634069716368.png

This was the area in front of the Game Production Area. Really nice cover.

3, 3, 3

Really surprised at the lack of resident hunters over the course of the three days made available to us. I think it speaks to the frustration with the pheasant situation as a whole from many residents. The weather was less than stellar but I actually enjoyed my hunt in the wind and rain Sunday. Had an absolutely incredible recovery from a wing tipped bird. One of those jobs by a dog that leaves you in awe of their ability.

The Vikes might have won but the play calling was horrible. When you have a QB that completes 25 of 34 passes (73%) for 275 yards and a running back that gains 113 yards on 25 carries you should score more than one touchdown. The game shouldn't have even been close. Thielen only had 2 catches and those were in the last 37 seconds of the game. They only threw to him 3 times. I still claim Zimmer just can't get it done and needs to be replaced.
Zimmer has had some good teams, but he is a bonehead at times.

3, 3, 3

Really surprised at the lack of resident hunters over the course of the three days made available to us. I think it speaks to the frustration with the pheasant situation as a whole from many residents. The weather was less than stellar but I actually enjoyed my hunt in the wind and rain Sunday. Had an absolutely incredible recovery from a wing tipped bird. One of those jobs by a dog that leaves you in awe of their ability.
You think a lot of residents are going to tell the internet how great of a hunt they had in an area?
A few pics wouldnt hurt!

I’m not a picture poster.

As to the beans on public ground. Here the DNR plants beans for a couple years so they can spray roundup and control perennials like brome and thistles. Then they follow with native plantings.

Last edited:
....lack of resident hunters during crappy weather not a huge surprise... maybe there just aren't as many as one thinks... we'll try to pick up the slack come October 16 🤣

Back