SD Report

Husker

Went back to center of the State yesterday to check some trail cams and hunt roosters... The hunting was outstanding, maybe even a little to good! The 3 of us didn't get into the field until 11:30 and we were filled and having lunch by 1:30. All but the sunflowers seem to be out and the birds were all in the slews holding great! The weather here is unreal and the birds are thick!

If you haven't been out yet, it's time!

2011-10-26_13-28-24_999.jpg

The deer are starting to move too! Also got this yote, his days are numbered!
DSC_0011.jpg

This guy might taste better then venison, but I'm sure not looking forward to gutting him!
DSC_0202.jpg

Nice to see someone is having some luck in SD. The pheasant hunting here in the Watertown area just plains SUCKS! :( Been out 4 times and never fired a shot. In fact it wasn't until the 4th time out that I even saw a pheasant. Guess when I get back from elk hunting the 2nd week in Nov. I will have to head to the central part of the state for a few days.

Husker, if you don't mind telling me the area you hunted would you send me a PM? Was it private for public land?

11:30? I did not think the tim change was until this weekend.

Buck, better pick up a copy of the regs. The time changed to 10:00 AM last Saturday, the 22nd. Probably just another "Senior Moment" eh? :D

It was noon opener through the 21st.

Hey Dakotazeb I seen your mentioned in the pheasant forever fall issue.It was talking about pheasant hunting in your area.

Hey Dakotazeb I seen your mentioned in the pheasant forever fall issue.It was talking about pheasant hunting in your area.

Phil, you sure about that? I didn't see anything and I think I lost my fall issue during my move last month. Where was I mentioned and in what article?

Yes I am.It was talking about some of the business around there.The way it talked there is a couple of places that are self guide type place that you can go to.When I get a chance I'll check for names of these places the issue belongs to a back cracker I know.

Flushing wild

I spent last week in the Mitchell area and then ventured north some. Saw enough birds to make it a fun week, but they were hard to find and flushing wild, 50-60 yards ahead. My dog was able to point and hold a few. Better shooting would have helped and the warm sunny weather on Thursday and Friday made the hunting pretty sorry. I think No. 3 steel is the best non-toxic load, most of the ones I killed were taken with this load.

Buck, better pick up a copy of the regs. The time changed to 10:00 AM last Saturday, the 22nd. Probably just another "Senior Moment" eh? :D

I guess they must have changed to second Saturday permanent now? With opener on early end of possibilities, the 15th, I thought they went to third weekend. Got 3 birds on 22nd and 3rd even tho I started at noon! Have to handicap you guys. ;)

I'm going to Mitchell later this week. Any recommendations? Any thing within an hour or so drive would be fine. We're not looking to limit, just work the dogs.

Thanks.

Back