SD hunt

carptom1

I am going to SD nov 11-13 east of Pierre SD. I will be hunting a private farm of 15k acres. All wild birds. There are only two of us at this time, I am looking for maybe 3-4 more guys with dogs. I go a couple of other times with some buddies, but their wifes aren't as understanding as mine:eek:. Really takes 5 or so guys to work the cover well as it is fairly large. I posted this last year for the same place. I should probably not make the trip but I hate to lose the contact. Went last year and did well. Have hunted with this guy for several years and he is a good kid. It is his in-laws farm. Pm me if you are interested or just post here. It is 150.00 a day, again all wild. Good trip. He say's hatch is good, should be plenty ogf birds. We stay in Pierre about 20 minutes away.

david0311

I am going to SD nov 11-13 east of Pierre SD. I will be hunting a private farm of 15k acres. All wild birds. There are only two of us at this time, I am looking for maybe 3-4 more guys with dogs. I go a couple of other times with some buddies, but their wifes aren't as understanding as mine:eek:. Really takes 5 or so guys to work the cover well as it is fairly large. I posted this last year for the same place. I should probably not make the trip but I hate to lose the contact. Went last year and did well. Have hunted with this guy for several years and he is a good kid. It is his in-laws farm. Pm me if you are interested or just post here. It is 150.00 a day, again all wild. Good trip. He say's hatch is good, should be plenty ogf birds. We stay in Pierre about 20 minutes away.

Will be guiding at Lodge about 20 east of Pierre this season--glad to hear report on production--maybe see you in the area:cheers: dc

Will be guiding at Lodge about 20 east of Pierre this season--glad to hear report on production--maybe see you in the area:cheers: dc

Your my hero:) My life's goal is to get a couple more dogs, and retire up north guiding at some lodge. For me I really enjoy watching the dogs work and have fun. I could easily just let someone else shoot the birds. I just have to figure out a way to break it to my wife, I don't think Pierre SD is a retirement destination for her:eek:

david0311

Your my hero:) My life's goal is to get a couple more dogs, and retire up north guiding at some lodge. For me I really enjoy watching the dogs work and have fun. I could easily just let someone else shoot the birds. I just have to figure out a way to break it to my wife, I don't think Pierre SD is a retirement destination for her:eek:

:) That's the stage I'm at--still like to shoot but the dog work is 90% of my hunting--also plan to do some guiding for fishing after learning the river a little better--

Wife said your out there most of season anyway--so when offered this and other jobs she encourage me to take it if I thought I would enjoy it--checked out several operations --this one and one other just stood out as first class operations--

Have no plans at this time to move there--enjoy summers in Northern MN and winters in AZ and TX to much-but it is beautiful area along the river and no state income tax!!!--

Maybe we will meet up when your out--could PM you phone # and name--have wondered if we might not have same last name based on the title you use--dc :cheers:

:) That's the stage I'm at--still like to shoot but the dog work is 90% of my hunting--also plan to do some guiding for fishing after learning the river a little better--

Wife said your out there most of season anyway--so when offered this and other jobs she encourage me to take it if I thought I would enjoy it--checked out several operations --this one and one other just stood out as first class operations--

Have no plans at this time to move there--enjoy summers in Northern MN and winters in AZ and TX to much-but it is beautiful area along the river and no state income tax!!!--

Maybe we will meet up when your out--could PM you phone # and name--have wondered if we might not have same last name based on the title you use--dc :cheers:

I will send you my info. Maybe we could hook up and eat one night, If you are in Pierre, I like Mad Mary's for a steak better than Cattleman's, just my opinion.

I doubt we have the same last name. I have been carptom for a long time. It started one night when my wife and I were with some friends in a restaurant. The hostess asked this party in front of us for a name. This pompous little Doogie Howser brat says in a real snotty tone " I am Dr Brad Johnson". Really, you are at the Red Lobster and you have to let everybody know you are a doctor? So she got to us and I said, " you can just call me carpenter tom". There were several people waiting that found that funny. Doogies wife didn't.

LOL Carp! Hope to make a trip or two this year as I missed last year.

You didn't miss much last year. Those areas you were hunting two years ago, were picked clean this last year. I didn't hunt the opener last year, but third weekend you couldnt find a hotel room:eek:. It was crazy, and not many were getting birds. Should be better this year.

Is this place near Pierre a commercial operation? I'm looking for a place for me, my 2 kids, my dad, my BIL, and his kid for a little earlier in the year.

Is this place near Pierre a commercial operation? I'm looking for a place for me, my 2 kids, my dad, my BIL, and his kid for a little earlier in the year.

No sorry, This is just a guy that runs 6-8 groups of hunters through his place. He is full and has been for years. He doesn't advertise anymore, just repeat guy's like myself. That's why I hate to give up the contact by not fufilling my standing reservation with him the last few years. I really shouldn't go, as I go on two other trips a year up there. I guess recognition is half of the problem. I think I might be an addict:)

Thanks. Too bad, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. There are plenty of places in Kansas, ie, close to home, where I can shoot released birds. IMO, the only reason to go to SD is to shoot natives several weeks before the KS season opens.

Any recommendations?

david0311

Thanks. Too bad, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. There are plenty of places in Kansas, ie, close to home, where I can shoot released birds. IMO, the only reason to go to SD is to shoot natives several weeks before the KS season opens.

Any recommendations?

Have you checked with Chris at U-Guide?? Your group sounds like just what he is set up for--he has several options and runs a first class operation---

NOTE: I have no financial interest in U-GUIDE-- though I have done a little guiding last year--dc

I'm guiding in the same area as Carptom but it is a very expensive lodge--

Was planning to do that (check with Chris). A guy that works with me has been a U-Guide customer for several years so I'm familiar with the business model. It is exactly what I'm looking for, but the website doesn't show any availability during my time frame. Can't hurt to ask, though.

Thanks guy's for the interest. Looks like I have found enough to fill up the trip. I'm sure it will be an adventure.

Matto, if you pm me I will let you know what might work for you. ( it is how I found this spot)

Back