Sciatic Nerve Problem

Dakotazeb

I have had a sciatic nerve problem in my right leg for years. Caused me to stop running about 8 years ago. Each year is seems to get a little worse. I had an MRI done about 2 years ago and the doctors said I have some degeneration in my lower spine and a narrowing where the nerves exit the spine. They think that's what is causing my problem. Anyway, this past hunting season it was bothering me to a point I went back to the doctor. He gave me a steroidal injection into the area of the glute the pain seemed to stem from. Man for 2 weeks I was like a new man. But then it wore off and I was back to square one. Back to the doctor for an epidural steriod injection. Same results. For a couple fo weeks I was fine and them back to the same. The last couple of weeks it's really been bad. I know that exercise, stretching and core strengthening are important and do help with the pain so I have been trying to do more of them and it is helping. But I've run across something that makes me think my problem is actually more muscular and spinal. Lately when I take my dogs out for a run I've been using the snomobile trials. Tough walking in some areas but a heck of a good workout. When I start walking my sciatic nerve flares up and hurts down my whole leg. I tough it out and after about 30 minutes the pains goes away and I'm fine.

I'm just curious if anyone else has had any sciatic nerve problems and what they did that helped. I've got to be able to get out and hunt with my dogs so I don't want it getting any worse. Damn this aging process sucks! I'll be 64 in April and have always been able to out walk guys 20-30 years younger than me. And I want to keep doing it!

I have had a sciatic nerve problem in my right leg for years. Caused me to stop running about 8 years ago. Each year is seems to get a little worse. I had an MRI done about 2 years ago and the doctors said I have some degeneration in my lower spine and a narrowing where the nerves exit the spine. They think that's what is causing my problem. Anyway, this past hunting season it was bothering me to a point I went back to the doctor. He gave me a steroidal injection into the area of the glute the pain seemed to stem from. Man for 2 weeks I was like a new man. But then it wore off and I was back to square one. Back to the doctor for an epidural steriod injection. Same results. For a couple fo weeks I was fine and them back to the same. The last couple of weeks it's really been bad. I know that exercise, stretching and core strengthening are important and do help with the pain so I have been trying to do more of them and it is helping. But I've run across something that makes me think my problem is actually more muscular and spinal. Lately when I take my dogs out for a run I've been using the snomobile trials. Tough walking in some areas but a heck of a good workout. When I start walking my sciatic nerve flares up and hurts down my whole leg. I tough it out and after about 30 minutes the pains goes away and I'm fine.

I'm just curious if anyone else has had any sciatic nerve problems and what they did that helped. I've got to be able to get out and hunt with my dogs so I don't want it getting any worse. Damn this aging process sucks! I'll be 64 in April and have always been able to out walk guys 20-30 years younger than me. And I want to keep doing it!

Have you tried a chiropractor?

George as you know I'm pretty much considered a health nut around here. Because I exercise daily and walk about 30-45 minutes a day. What started me on this regiment is the same thing that is bothering you. I will say from my experience you are on the right track. Stay with it and don't quit when you feel better. The more I do it the better I feel, so that is why I do it daily. I more tip keep your weight down if possible. You would be amazed at the amount of pressure your stomach puts on that nerve. I was up to 217 about 5 years ago. I was put on a diet and over a period of 18 months. I went down to 167. Man did that help in the pain department. Tip 2, If you don't get any better get a referral from your doctor to a good Physical/ Sports Therapist. If I would have known about the Therapy 30 years ago. I never would have had the second operation on my back. That is where I got my exercise regiment. It really helps to know you are doing the exercises properly and really doing some good. Hope you get well George, it is a long hard road. But stay with it the results are worth very minute...........Bob

Dang Bob, that's was a substantial weight loss. I know I need to lose some weight but I haven't been 167 since I got out of basic training. I'm 5' 10" and weigh around 200-205. I'd love to be at 185. I'm still wearing size 36 pants but would like to get back to the 34's.

I've been to physical therapy and I have all the exercises they suggested. but you are right, I do feel better the more exercise I do. Other than I can't run as that really flares it up. Right now I'm doing 20 min. on the eliptical, 20 min. of weights on the Bowflex and then 20 min. of stretches and core strenghening.

Dakotazeb, sounds like you're on the right track for discovery.

I've been dealing with back pain off and on for about the past 12 years. Physical therapy really helped me out. Any time I start to feel a flare-up, I start doing the exercises I was doing in PT, although, I should be doing them all the time.

For the most part, I've discovered the things that trigger the pain (repetitive ranges of motion) and try to avoid. I've considered surgery, but the scares the heck out me. I've heard of more failures than successes.

Have you ever tried using a TENS Unit?

I have not tried the Tens Units. But after just reading about it on the web it might be worth a try. I'll have to see if anyone in the area does this treatment.

Rhodi, If they had the Therapy I'm doing now daily. I never and I mean never would have had the second back surgery. Therapy has done more good for me than the surgeon ever did. I would say don't stop doing the therapy. Do it Daily anddon't stop doing it Daily. You will I hope find surgery is not need.............Bob

Keeping weight down is probably is most important. Extra weight puts so much pressure on joints and back. I know cause I got 10 extra pounds of Winter blubber and I ain't gonna rest until it's gone.:cheers:
Hard to get out and do all the walking I would like in the Winter especially with all the heavy snow.
Time to put on the pedometer, it's min.15000 steps a day for me till Fall hunting.:cool:

Chris, I am on a what is called a "20 Carb a day" diet. But They have changed it through the years. I now have a call into my doctor to find out how it has changed and what I have to do, for I have gained a few pounds also. The way things are figured today from what I have read. 20 carbs in 1 slice of bread and that is it.The exercises are mainly stretches and a few muscle builders. I do them every night before I go to bed..........Bob

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Bob. I think I am on the 20 carb an hour diet. I do believe in the stretches and muscle builders and you get out of the body what you put in. It's worth the sacrafice and effort.

Thanks for the tips.

Chris

George. From my experience as an insurance adjuster, I would give surgery serious consideration. This is a relatively easy and very successful, surgery these days that will not even keep you down long. I used to have similar problems and still occasionally tweak my L-5 S-1, bu seems to last less all the time.

A week ago I started this thread because the pain I was experiencing from my sciatic nerve was getting worse and really starting to limit my mobility. During the past week I have really hit the exercises hard. Cardio, weights, stretching and core strengthening. The results thus far have been super positive. For the most part I am pain free during the day. I do feel a little twinge in the morning when I first get up but even that is somewhat minor.

I've done these exercises before without these kind of results but so far so good. One exercise I think that has really helped are Lunges. They really pull and strengthen the quads, glutes and hamstrings. But my butt was so sore the first couple days it hurt to sit on the can. :) But once that soreness went away so did most of the sciatic nerve pain.

I exercise a lot but always have these lapses. I guess Bob was right when he said you have to do this all the time. I don't do the cardio and weights every day as I believe the body needs a rest to rebuild after strenuous exercise, but I am trying to do some of the stretching exercises every day.

I'm not saying I won't have a relapse, but it sure is encouraging right now. Amazing how much better you feel both physically and mentally when you aren't battling pain. And who knows, maybe I'll even lose a few pounds.

But my butt was so sore the first couple days it hurt to sit on the can. :)

Bob.. dont take this the wrong way... Its merely a joke and couldn't resist having to post this pic.

8EBC5A99.jpg

George and others, I thing I have found over the years is that the little things help a lot. Example; Your Wallet/Billfold, where do you carry it? I always carried mine in my left back pocket. It hit right on the nerve and made the pain worse. So I changed to my left front pocket. I have not had any pain caused my the wallet in years. I am now so use to having it in the front, it is like it has always been there............Bob

Abosolutely cannot keep my wallet in either back pocket while sitting without sciatic symptoms. I do not have much in it so don't go there!

DZ, thanks for the update and that is encouraging to others in pain (most of us). I too had a minor breakthrough in that I told my wife I was pain free in lower back when we we standing in church for the initial praise and worship music. A week ago or so I almost had to sit down due to pain before music ended (about 10-15 minutes?).

I credit it to going to gym 3 days previous and doing a simple lower back exercise that has given relief but not done consistently.

I am also in process of self-rehabbing my right shoulder (rotator cuff).

Exercises are hard and painful but some progress is made. I feel like they might work if done 7 days a week. I have never had to rebuild an injured muscel like this but if it works it is better than surgery I feel. I got the exercises from my doctor. Other options are PT and then surgery I suppose.

Chris, I think the PT is a big help, Like I said before after the PT people got done with me surgery was a distant thought. The PT will rebuild you good as new. One thing when you are exercising, If it is an arm or a leg do both limbs equally. Otherwise, when you are done with the PT. That the hurt arm for example will be real strong. Then you play hell getting the other arm up to that level of strength. Same with a back make sure all back/stomach muscles get equal exercise...........Bob

Back