Saying Goodbye

Recon

Today I had to say goodbye to my best friend. Renegades HighStylin Chief, Chief for short, I was blessed to spend five seasons chasing pheasants with him out front and making many memories that will last a lifetime.

Today I had to place my own selfish desire to spend just one more day with you aside and allow you the peaceful ending you so much deserve. My heart breaks as I think of all the times I was to busy to go play or to tired to throw your ball just once more. I never thought you'd leave me so soon I always thought we'd have tomorrow, next season.

A few days ago I noticed Chief just wasn't his old playful self, he wasn't eating and had a cough, I wasn't sure but I knew something wasn't right, my mind raced with what could be wrong, it wasn't until I rubbed his neck and felt huge knots in it that I knew it was something serious.

I took my best friend in to see the vet and they told me he had lymphoma cancer. I couldn't believe it he was only 6, how could this happen my mind raced with questions and not one single answer made since. In the end I had to choose to keep my friend around and slowly watch him deteriorate or give him a swift and painless death.

Today I held my best friend as he took his last breath, I never would have imagined he would leave this world this way, I figured he'd leave trying to save my life or chasing a bird but in the end it was something we never saw coming, couldn't prepare for and couldn't prevent.

He was loyal, forgiving and an amazing hunter. If I could shoot better we might have set some amateur record for most birds in a season. I will never forget the look he would give me after chasing down a bird going on point then waiting for me to flush it and then I?d miss, he would look at me as if to say REALLY I did all that for you to miss, but in the end he always came over and let me know he still loved me even if I couldn?t do my part.

It was a joy watching him work in the field he was all business when it came to hunting I will always remember you my dear friend you will be missed

Please forgive me for this long post but I just needed to say goodbye to the best dog, best friend any man could ever have.

Those of you that pray I ask for your prayers I haven't felt this bad since loosing my friend in Afghanistan it hurts so much I honestly don?t know if I will ever hunt again.

Rich

So sorry Recon. I like many on here, have lost too many wonderful dogs over the past 50 years of owning dogs, and it never gets easier. The suddenness of the loss just adds to the pain. After every dog I lost I too thought they would be my last, but time heals all, and when the time is right, another dog will come into your life, never to replace ones lost, but to open a new spot for love in your heart, and a new chapter of your hunting life. It is said the reason God only gives dogs short lives is if he let them live as long as humans we would never get over losing them. Remember the good times, and smile.

Recon , prayers going out to you my friend , it's never easy take a little time to heal and remember , I hope and pray in due time your heart will heal and you will be up to a new hunting buddy .

Thoughts and prayers are with you !!!!

Prayers said, Recon. You made a heartbreaking decision for the right reason. You have my sincere condolences.

So sorry to hear Recon. If I remember correctly we came on UPH just about the same time and remeber him fondly as That is one of the reasons I named my pup Chief! Great name for a great dog and friend!! Prayers to you and Chief!

Susie died of cancer when she was six. Every day she was a little more bloated. It was horrible to watch. She was my first female dog. It's going to hurt for awhile. Hopefully by fall, a buddy with dogs will take you out.

Susie was so special she was my only breeder. I always prayed guys like you would take my pups.

Wow...what a great tribute to your friend.

Rufus was put down at age 6 so I can sympathize with your loss - it doesn't get any easier. A new pal can take away some of the pain, however.

Lymphoma can be a cold hearted nasty killer. Never even thought about a dog getting it. Hope you get to feeling better and get back out there at some point.

Very sad, Recon. BTW UPF members, cancer is the leading cause of death in dogs.

Recon, nothing beats the gone dog blues like getting a new dog. No need to wait. Start looking now and get another dog that you can give a great life to just like you gave to Chief. The sooner you act the better off you and your new dog will be.

Anyone of us who has shared time a field with a gun dog of their own knows what you're going through right now, and we all mourn with you. I always feel powerless when responding to a post like this, because having been through it myself, I know that there are no words that I can offer that will take away the hurt in any appreciable way. But know that this brotherhood is right there with you, imagining all the wonderful things that you brought to each other's lives. One thing I always reflect on is that guns dogs have the best lives of all dogs. Just too damned short.
Dave

Thank you, each of you have said something that has helped me make it through today, you may never know how timely and important your words have been thank you so much. When I placed this tribute on the forum I had no clue why, I just needed to share what was going on with people I knew could relate/ appreciate my story. Once again thank you so much. While the days ahead won't be easy having support from this brotherhood of hunters and dog owners will make it bearable

Recon, nothing beats the gone dog blues like getting a new dog. No need to wait. Start looking now and get another dog that you can give a great life to just like you gave to Chief. The sooner you act the better off you and your new dog will be.

Well said BritChaser, I couldn't agree more.

I'm sorry for your loss. You should be proud of yourself for doing the right thing for your dog. Very kind and unselfish of you to love your dog enough to let him go at the right time for him.

You'll always miss him and remember him fondly, no matter how many dogs follow, you'll always have a place in your heart for him. I agree with BritChaser. A new puppy won't fix the hurt of losing your dog, but it will bring you a new joy to help offset the pain. I hope you don't wait too long to pick a new dog to give a great life to.

Each of us handle grief differently, but when faced with situations like this, I find I need to fill the gaping hole in my heart with a new pup..

Recon, I just picked up two males from Bob at Wrenegade last Sunday out of my Cooper daughter. Bob has a couple dogs left right now, and if I wouldn't have had my wife along I would've came home with 4 or 5.

I'm sorry for your loss.. 6 is definitely too soon, and certainly unforeseen. ..

PM me if you want bobs contact info.

R

YEH, what's the deal with cancer in dogs? I've had to put down 4 dogs over the years. It sucks hind tit, but you did the right thing for your dog. I agree with the BritChaser; get yourself another playboy or girl.

Last edited:
that a very sad thing to have to go thru.... I cry a flood every time one of mine dies

I really wonder about the kibble diet we all feed

Back