Safety glasses

kuk kuk

A pheasant hunter from my hometown in Minnesota lost an eye this week hunting in South Dakota. Safety glasses are pretty cheap insurance. I myself would have lost an eye several years ago due to a slob hunter who shot towards me from the road as I was hunting private land. Put them on!

Bought a pair of safety glasses for work that have prescription and transition lens. I now wear them for fishing and hunting.

eye glasses and ear plugs?

I always wear shooting glasses while hunting. Here in WI they have saved my eyes many, many times from slapping and poking branches in thick cover.

A question... A couple of the guys I hunted with in SD this year wore ear plugs. Seemed to me they had a hard time keeping track of their dogs. Anyone else wear ear plugs while hunting?

I have oakley half jacket that have shot proof lenses. They have saved me from BBs, branches and sticks. I have hade them for 5 years now went threw 1 pair a lensess.

A question... A couple of the guys I hunted with in SD this year wore ear plugs. Seemed to me they had a hard time keeping track of their dogs. Anyone else wear ear plugs while hunting?

Rick, I've worn plugs from time to time but I've been late on flushes that were out of my line of sight because of them. At some point, because my left ear seems to take a beating from all the banging I have to do to bring a bird down, I may look into the electronic noise cancelling plugs but that's not quite in the budget right now.

I too wear glasses at all times, partly because they help me see :) and partly because of the safety concerns you've all mentioned.

Last edited:
Has anyone used eye protection for their dog? We have been out almost two weeks straight and this week I noticed the right eye of my dog extremely red, like he got poked by something. Went to the vet and got some drops and gave him the day off. The next day things looked much better so we went out again the next day, however this time same thing happened to the left eye. I was thinking of getting him some doggie goggles. Has anyone tried them and if so what kind of results did you have?

I wear tinted safety glasses that have my prescription in them. They are straight lenses, not bifocal........Bob

My dog scratched her cornea and it was a cost and much treatment by the vet to take care of it. This year I put her in goggles which she hates but I hope it helps.

Agree on the glasses. Didn't use to... but this dove season I got shot in the face at a public SWA... Just one BB in an ear and one in my forehead. Accident, not too stressed on it: lessons learned, but if one of the bb's had been two inches lower, the funny story would have turned into a tragedy if it hit my eye. Bought a pair of glasses and use them ever since.

I wear the same glasses I use for shooting sporting clays-NYX shooting glasses with prescription insert. They come with various shades of lenses and the prescription lens insert just snaps in. I have been hit in the glasses or face several times by richochet when shooting clays, but never while hunting but it's a vital safety measure IMO.

Eyes Covered Always

Regardless of the weather, my eyes are covered in the field. Sunglasses on bright days, cheap plastic yellow lensed shooting glasses on overcast days. A must for safe hunting.

I used to wear a pair of brown tinted sunglasses until I realised that all pheasants looked the same with the brown. I found myself hesitating on roosters, they all looked like hens.

Does anyone have a pair of shooting glasses with swappable lenses/colors? Any brands reccommended?

Back