Runners

Otony

Just getting going with pheasant hunting. Dog is doing ok, but these state-stocked birds seem to simply run to the thickets, etc. Only one of the 5 birds we've run across actually flushed up to fly. Any tips on strategy or tactics, especially when we see birds in the open, but very close to cover that they can run into?

Just getting going with pheasant hunting. Dog is doing ok, but these state-stocked birds seem to simply run to the thickets, etc. Only one of the 5 birds we've run across actually flushed up to fly. Any tips on strategy or tactics, especially when we see birds in the open, but very close to cover that they can run into?
Let me know if I'm wrong, but I think you are saying that you are new to pheasant hunting. The behavior you describe is very common. They will run whenever they can, and they will certainly almost always run into cover versus flushing in the open.

Yes, am quite new to this. Just seems that they hang out very close to thickets, rather than hiding in a field of tall grasses, etc, where all the videos show people flushing and shooting them!!

Yes, am quite new to this. Just seems that they hang out very close to thickets, rather than hiding in a field of tall grasses, etc, where all the videos show people flushing and shooting them!!
So what you need is someone to dizzy them and put them in the grass where you can flush them

Sorry… couldn’t help myself…. That is
what happens in those videos

Just getting going with pheasant hunting. Dog is doing ok, but these state-stocked birds seem to simply run to the thickets, etc. Only one of the 5 birds we've run across actually flushed up to fly. Any tips on strategy or tactics, especially when we see birds in the open, but very close
Change your direction of approach. Come through the thickets from the backside and push them to the open cover.

Good flying birds has a lot to do with who raises them. All pheasants run, but poorly flight conditioned birds will run more. Also, flight conditioned or not, they won't like to fly when it's wet out. My local put and take state operation does a good job. I don't know where they buy the birds, but most fly pretty well. After a few days of being hunted if they are not killed, they get pretty close to the real thing. If your pointer/beagle doesn't hold point try to keep him close and watch him closely. If he has any instinct at all he will let you know when he smells a bird. When you see it get close and enjoy the show. He will put it in the air or catch it. whichever happens praise him he's learning...

II have never known a pheasant not to run as far and fast as possible. I do have a couple of tips

1. Always have a blocker, at the end of the cover.
2. Always hunt towards a good break in cover, not toward infinite cover or toward property that you can't pinch them at a break
3. Never, never give up until the very last of the cover has been well gone through, and even then keep an eye on your dog

II have never known a pheasant not to run as far and fast as possible. I do have a couple of tips

1. Always have a blocker, at the end of the cover.
2. Always hunt towards a good break in cover, not toward infinite cover or toward property that you can't pinch them at a break
3. Never, never give up until the very last of the cover has been well gone through, and even then keep an eye on your dog
Great Advice...

Oh, I forgot the #1 most important tip that I see hunters mess up time and time again, is to run stealthy. Quietly close you truck doors, don't chit chat when you leave the truck, minimize your encouragement or communication with you dog and let your dog inform you as to what the birds are doing and follow their lead......Always!

Back