Ruger broken again

mmelton

I love to shoot my red label 20 Ga but missed out shooting it at skeet for a few months three years ago because the barrels came apart right at the muzzle end of the gun. I sent it in to Ruger for repairs and they fixed it for free just in time for the grouse opener. Now shooting it yesterday at skeet and after the third round I set it in the rack and noticed the damn rib came loose some place in the middle of the barrels looks like I will be sending it back again for repair. I will be calling them first to let them know how disappointed I am AGAIN.

Ruger Red Label's are noted for continuous failures. Ruger in most cases fixes them for free because of all the issues but I have to wonder how much longer they will do that, as they haven't been made for a couple of years now. For the occasional upland hunter. they may work fine but if you shoot a lot. Failure is not a if but a when.

History

Sad to say but that is their history. It's too bad Ruger can't seem to get it right since they do shoot well. I would look to Browning or Beretta.

Lock and Load! :D

I've had my Ruger 12 gauge for over 20 years without a problem.

You don't shoot enough....or you would have sent it back by now. They all break sooner or later...I don't dislike Ruger's either and I'm not picking on them. I had a 20ga and loved the gun. It carried nice, good wood, nice sharp checkering but it's no Browning or Beretta in the reliability department. When they were $600 to $800, they were a outstanding gun to get a person into a O/U. When they became priced at or near what a Browning or Beretta were. Their sales fell to near nothing. It's too bad. They filled a gap between the real cheap poor quality and the more expensive but more reliable Browning and Beretta's.

I love to shoot my red label 20 Ga but missed out shooting it at skeet for a few months three years ago because the barrels came apart right at the muzzle end of the gun. I sent it in to Ruger for repairs and they fixed it for free just in time for the grouse opener. Now shooting it yesterday at skeet and after the third round I set it in the rack and noticed the damn rib came loose some place in the middle of the barrels looks like I will be sending it back again for repair. I will be calling them first to let them know how disappointed I am AGAIN.

If that was my Ruger, I'd get it fixed and then send it down the road. That's one
failure too many in my book. Maybe you just got a lemon.

NB

Why are you still sticking with a Ruger red label, that has failed, not once, but twice????? Send it down the road and Buy a B gun. Browning, Benelli, or Beretta.
Can't fix what is flawed from the get go. Sorry you have had this happen to you.:)

I own 3 RL's. No issues (and they are used A LOT!). That being said, I'd part with the one you have. I had a Beretta that had recurring problems; I got it fixed and got rid of it. You couldn't give me another one.

I have a RRL 20 gauge which is my absolute favorite gun for hunting.I was disappointed they stopped making them.This is the first I have heard of any problems.....hope I don't have any.

Last edited:
Just google Ruger Red Label problems and the drop down bar will give you numerous choices, including trigger problems, ejector problems, barrel's not switching, Etc, Etc, Etc..

Red Labels are notorious for barrels pulling loose. They sold well in the beginning, but sales died after a few years.

Rrl

If you like it, let them fix it for free and buy a Browning or Beretta for the range and keep the RRL for the field or sell it if you've "lost faith" as they seem to be bringing in a over inflated price right now! Your in possession of a American made goldmine!:cheers:

You missed the point the Ruger is a "hunting" gun, not qualified for heavy duty shooting. Ruger for saw the fact that we would have a down turn in the pheasant and quail populations, so the made the gun you can fire once or twice a year when you see one! :) It ought last a lifetime.

You missed the point the Ruger is a "hunting" gun, not qualified for heavy duty shooting. Ruger for saw the fact that we would have a down turn in the pheasant and quail populations, so the made the gun you can fire once or twice a year when you see one! :) It ought last a lifetime.

And um my ford is way better than your Chevy any day. Blah blah. Blah.

I've had a red label for years. I've shot a load of birds with it, shot sporting clays leagues etc and have never had a spec of trouble with it. Like anything else some are/were made better than others.

I don't own a Ruger but a friend was a shooting instructor for Orvis years ago where they shot all manner of different brands of O/U guns. They shot 1,000s and 1,000s of rounds through their guns and back then the only gun that didn't need repairs were the Rugers. Maybe they changed over time and weren't made as well.
Another friend shoots Black Birds under a depredation permit on wild rice fields. He shoots 10 boxes a day before 8:30 Am for a month or more in the summer. His O/U had the barrels separate and had to have the factory fix it. It wasn't a Ruger or a B gun but it was a good brand whose name I can't dredge up. He now uses a Model 870 and has no problems. Heat and vibration will separate barrels if it's severe enough.

That right there is FUNNY no matter who you are.

Why do you think Ruger quit making them:confused:

Just Google Ruger Red Label problems and keep reading. That should keep the Ruger RL slappys busy for a few days. And wise 'um up at the same time.

NB

Last edited:
That right there is FUNNY no matter who you are.

Why do you think Ruger quit making them:confused:

Just Google Ruger Red Label problems and keep reading. That should keep the Ruger RL slappys busy for a few days. And wise 'um up at the same time.

NB

Some of you need to get out and spend some time training your pup, or shooting some sporting clays...or something. I took your challenge, and did some "Googling" on Google Chrome this morning.

Google phrase "Ruger Red label problems" returned 20,700 results

Google phrase "Remington 870 problems" returned 237,000 results

Google phrase "Winchester model 94 problems" returned 1,050,000 results

Back