Roast Pheasant and Pheasant Fajitas

Cass

To help make it through the long summer without pheasant hunting, I decided to thaw out and cook a couple of my Kansas birds from last winter. I had planned to cook them together but decided to cook them differently on two separate nights.

One bird was perfect with no holes in the breast or legs, so we had to roast that one. I just can't pass up a perfect roast pheasant! We used a brine soak and then roasted it with carrots and brussels sprouts.

The other had a few holes that I had cleaned up, so I decided to use it for fajitas. I filleted the breast meat into two halves, and cut the larger pieces of thigh and leg meat into medallions. We use a marinade of lime juice, olive oil and garlic. I cooked them over charcoal along with sliced onions and bell peppers.

They were both great eating!

Cass

Please don't remind me how my two pups somehow unplugged the deep freezer and spoiled the last of my precious quail and pheasant.:(

Cass, That's making the most of a couple roosters and some dang good eating!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the recipe ideas. I'm always looking for new ways to prep pheasant.

To help make it through the long summer without pheasant hunting, I decided to thaw out and cook a couple of my Kansas birds from last winter. I had planned to cook them together but decided to cook them differently on two separate nights.

One bird was perfect with no holes in the breast or legs, so we had to roast that one. I just can't pass up a perfect roast pheasant! We used a brine soak and then roasted it with carrots and brussels sprouts.

The other had a few holes that I had cleaned up, so I decided to use it for fajitas. I filleted the breast meat into two halves, and cut the larger pieces of thigh and leg meat into medallions. We use a marinade of lime juice, olive oil and garlic. I cooked them over charcoal along with sliced onions and bell peppers.

They were both great eating!

Cass

Cass, would you mind telling us more about the brine, please!! Sounds really delicious!!

Dry pheasants and brine. Under cooking is the only way I know to keep it moist. Even soups result in dry meat. I had only three recipes that I used that could make pheasant moist until I brined one. Under cooked stir fry, chicken fried chicken and a heavy onion pan stew.
Brining makes a huge difference in keeping it moist. I use taste as the way to make my brine. It's just so salty that I can drink a small swallow but not two. Not as salty as sea water. The more salt, the less time in the brine. With a weak brine I'll leave it for 6 hours up to over night depending on how salty I want the bird.
Having a relatively weak brine gives you more time and therefore more of a chance at consistency. Brine also helps to remove any blood in the flesh. At least that's how I do it. If you really want to get elaborate, soak it in buttermilk after the brining and before you do any frying

I've used brine to put moisture in pheasant meat. I then cut the breast into strips, breaded it, fried it in oil and butter, and served it as pheasant breast tenders. Among my friends it was their favorite pheasant meal. I have also pounded out fresh breast meat and made it a la marsala. Very tasty and moist.

Last edited:
Thank you!!!! a la Marsala...I love the stuff...the only problem is that you really need to keep checking its quality...:D :D :D
I shall use the brine next time...had hoped to have the freezer bulging with roosters this year, but we are running at around 85+% hens being put up and I am not happy...:(:eek:

Thank you, Cass...I shall give it a try.

Only a Pointer...what a nice situation to be in....:D:D

im always looking for ways to give them away

Yes, Only a Pointer rubs it in pretty good with that one. ;) Actually, I gave up trying to give them away because nobody wanted them.

Last edited:
lol kind of like the people giving the dove recipes lol are you kidding me really wow!! oooh good eatin buddy lol they are fun to shoot though man i se lots of them right up the road from me on a power line over a pond with standing burned to a crisp corn next to it might have to do a little knock and little suave sharp tongue im doing you a favor by shooting your doves mr land owner if you dont mind and all the ones if im lucky enough to harvest i would love to give to you mr landowner just to let you know how thankful that i am :D:D

Last edited:
im always looking for ways to give them away

Can't believe you don't eat pheasants. They are one of my favorite meals and to tell you the truth so are doves. If I kill it, I'm eating it. About anything I grill while drinking a few cold ones always turns out good eating.

lol kind of like the people giving the dove recipes lol are you kidding me really wow!! oooh good eatin buddy lol they are fun to shoot though man i se lots of them right up the road from me on a power line over a pond with standing burned to a crisp corn next to it might have to do a little knock and little suave sharp tongue im doing you a favor by shooting your doves mr land owner if you dont mind and all the ones if im lucky enough to harvest i would love to give to you mr landowner just to let you know how thankful that i am :D:D

If you can't cook and you have so little respect for the animals you kill that you make fun of the endeavor and those who make the effort and know how to utilize what they shoot why don't you just shoot sporting clays? This sort of attitude is what justifiably makes anti hunting groups nuts and will result in hunting's demise.

Pheasant cooking

The wife cooked a couple 2 weeks ago that I got in S.D. last year. Just put them in a roasting pan with a lid, add a little water, season them however you like, lay a couple of strips of bacon over the breasts, add carrots, potatoes, onions. Cook at 300-325 for 1 & 1/2 - 2 hrs. Mmm-Mmm Good!

Can't believe you don't eat pheasants. They are one of my favorite meals and to tell you the truth so are doves. If I kill it, I'm eating it. About anything I grill while drinking a few cold ones always turns out good eating.

i eat them every once in a while just have so many people that want them there are just so many things that are so much better

Back