Roadside Counts - Uffdah

wispringer

I guess it shouldn't shock anyone to see the results of the 2011 roadside counts. Am a witness to the unbelievable string of bad winters in the NC part of the state. Tack on the loss of CRP and the result is the lowest bird count in at least 50 years. I always feel like the glass is half empty but honestly does anyone think we are going to see any progress in the next 5-10 years? Better weather will help but the loss of habitat can't be made up. The bottom line is the vast majority of people, especially in urban areas, don't care. Talk to the average person in urban areas and their response is that they have bigger concerns than wildlife. In fact its not even on their radar. Big Ag is going to maximize profits, meaning the more land they can plow up and plant, the more money they can make. To hell with the fence lines, sloughs, ditches. I believe ethanol is here to stay. The thing that is bringing jobs and money to the great state of Iowa is also helping to change its landscape forever. For a father who has two young sons its heartbreaking.

Iowa DNR admits the Jackrabbit will become extinct in the state within the next 10 years or so. Can any upland species be far behind? Another vote for private land stewardship, and short term profit. I enoy the scenery, plowed, bare,and or growing roundup beans and corn, with just enough cut out of every quarter to put up a small hog barn, read that to mean sized to largely avoid the enviornmental regulations generously required by Iowa DNR. The "progress" moves west predictably, Nebraska, your next, if you don't run out of water first!, southeastern South Dakota, your already on the door step. My state, Missouri, we would be first with a bullet, but for the fact that some of it is to steep, or to rocky to plow. But the northwest quarter of Missouri, is Iowa Junior.

I sincerely "feel" for you guys in IA. It seems the political left has a pretty strong presence in IA. Why aren't the environmental groups flexing their muscle up there? Not trying to start any sort of real political discussion or debate here, but I would think if IA was left-leaning enough to legalize gay marriage as quickly as they did, they should have some pretty active environmental activists.

I hope I never see the same trends in KS, at least not to the scale you're experiencing it. If it does make it's way to KS, I'm thankful I live in the rock infested Flint Hills region so they won't be so apt to plow up everything (I think they've already plowed about all they can as it is).

Last edited:
But we're number 1 in hogs. Look what thats done for the state:thumbsup: I have 21000 hogs within a mile of me I can't sleep with my window open but thats ok. But you get fined if you play your music to loud in the state of Iowa:) It's so fun going to town and listening to super farmers brag about how they are dropping seed in the river while planting corn. Maybe they should make farmers spend their subsidey money on education instead of letting them go buy the newest tractor/truck.
Why would the state want groups of hunters spending money in our towns. They would much rather have illegals making nothing. So super farmer can make an extra buck and spend it somewhere oter then Iowa:thumbsup: My states a joke and alway will be as long as the want big ag. Oh I did see 3 pheasant this year. Thanks iowa DNR:(

Agreed!!! I sure do miss hunting my home state for pheasants but the bright side is that it led me to SD and KS. Haven't hunted IA in 5 or 6 yrs now. Even got my father to join me on a SD trip after X-mas last year and he enjoyed it so much that he will be joining me opening week this year. I didn't think that would ever be possible. My cousin works for the DNR and I give him crap about IA all the time. Hey, you got big deer though.

Stayin Home

As a hunter and conservationist I feel it is my duty to leave the few birds alone this year and hope for a brighter future. Re-enrolling my land in crp and starting prep work for improved cp4d planting, trying to do my part. Guess I'll keep my dogs active joining a hunt club. Thought about South Dakota but have no "in" there, and, their numbers are down.

I guess it shouldn't shock anyone to see the results of the 2011 roadside counts. Am a witness to the unbelievable string of bad winters in the NC part of the state. Tack on the loss of CRP and the result is the lowest bird count in at least 50 years. I always feel like the glass is half empty but honestly does anyone think we are going to see any progress in the next 5-10 years? Better weather will help but the loss of habitat can't be made up. The bottom line is the vast majority of people, especially in urban areas, don't care. Talk to the average person in urban areas and their response is that they have bigger concerns than wildlife. In fact its not even on their radar. Big Ag is going to maximize profits, meaning the more land they can plow up and plant, the more money they can make. To hell with the fence lines, sloughs, ditches. I believe ethanol is here to stay. The thing that is bringing jobs and money to the great state of Iowa is also helping to change its landscape forever. For a father who has two young sons its heartbreaking.

This is just so sad to me. My first phesant hunt was there in about 1988, and I was hooked for life! i have not been back to Iowa but I can still see the covers I hunted inj my mind's eye and I can now see the loss of habitat and wildlife! It is just a shame!

But we're number 1 in hogs. Look what thats done for the state:thumbsup: I have 21000 hogs within a mile of me I can't sleep with my window open but thats ok. But you get fined if you play your music to loud in the state of Iowa:) It's so fun going to town and listening to super farmers brag about how they are dropping seed in the river while planting corn. Maybe they should make farmers spend their subsidey money on education instead of letting them go buy the newest tractor/truck.
Why would the state want groups of hunters spending money in our towns. They would much rather have illegals making nothing. So super farmer can make an extra buck and spend it somewhere oter then Iowa:thumbsup: My states a joke and alway will be as long as the want big ag. Oh I did see 3 pheasant this year. Thanks iowa DNR:(

Coot, this is awesome. I'm going to save this and post it everywhere I can.

A question for the folks in Iowa. I'm looking for an honest answer. With all the ethonal production taking place, has the average community seen any benefit? Jobs, better schools, better roads, ect?

A question for the folks in Iowa. I'm looking for an honest answer. With all the ethonal production taking place, has the average community seen any benefit? Jobs, better schools, better roads, ect?

I'd say no. They really cut into the feed guys profit. Must quit:( My feedman also sales Fert. and seed thats why he's still going. No to schools and roads. Most of what they promised never happened. The one east of me backed out of their high dollar corn contracts farmers not to happy with them. They change ownership every couple years.

Almost all ethanol plants have an ownership dominated by politicians and family of politicians. Good luck with reform.

we are broke as a nation, why in the hell do we provide a subsidy for worthless ethanol?.......not to mention about a million other worthless programs for those who insist on riding in the wagon instead of pulling for a change! :(

we are broke as a nation, why in the hell do we provide a subsidy for worthless ethanol :(

It is my understanding that ethonal subsidies are effectivily over with the death of VEETC. You guys will have to find a new whipping boy.

MoellerMD, The death of ethanol subsidies is exagerated. a lot of states, Missouri, included, and I believe Iowa, have an ethanol content law requiring 10% ethanol content in fuel. This is regardless to the reality that ethanol is less efficient and many times the more expensive option to fossil petroleum. Forcing the consumer to pay more for fuel. They also allow splash blending, I won't go into it here, but look it up, to determine how much ethanol you may be actually burning in your everyday pursuits. So the government both state and federal may not continue the direct subsidy,( I expect it to survive in some form anyway), but they have legislated a market for ethanol which amounts to the same thing. If you have to buy it, someone will make it, and make money, ( your money), doing it! Limiting the market, forcing consumption, Is that Communism?

Back