Road Survey

Hunting

It's called hunting for a reason....or they would just call it the annual slaughter.

If you only go when the survey says the numbers are way up, then are you really a hunter??? There are birds and it's our job to play dog before we set foot in a field. This means doing some homework and finding some areas...

No matter what the numbers say, most true hunters are going to go if they always have. It's a passion and a short season when you look at it.:thumbsup:

Good luck to everyone this season!!!

It's called hunting for a reason....or they would just call it the annual slaughter.

If you only go when the survey says the numbers are way up, then are you really a hunter??? There are birds and it's our job to play dog before we set foot in a field. This means doing some homework and finding some areas...

No matter what the numbers say, most true hunters are going to go if they always have. It's a passion and a short season when you look at it.:thumbsup:

Good luck to everyone this season!!!

whether you go or not, based on the survey, has nothing to do at all with being a hunter......we all have our own opinions, that is all they are as well.....:eek:

I really look forward to the road surveys so I can accurately budget between ammo and beer. On a bad year there is an increase in beer decrease in ammo. A good year well you get it:cheers:

On the topic of releasing birds, my understanding is that it's perfectly legal for anyone to release birds.

What is illegal, without a preserve license, is to harvest more than a legal limit.

For example - hypothetically, if you charge a fee to hunt your ground, and want to make sure your high rolling client has a successful bag, you could release 10 birds before he shows up, to augment your wild population. He's still only entitled to shoot 3, given that you don't have a preserve license.

As haymaker said, nothing illegal about it. So no, I am not saying that.

Ok. I stand corrected. But that was a pretty minor point in the question. So remove the word illegally. Is that still what you are saying?

Not looking pick a fight either. Have been around here a long time and that is not my mode of operation. I'm asking because the economics of it don't make much sense to me on any sort of scale that it really matters for most hunters looking to find wild birds. Especially for freelancers looking to hunt wild birds.

Last edited:
Several years ago we hunted private property that I found on the internet in South Dakota. We hunted it for about 3 years. The last year we hunted that property my nephew and I went out the evening before our hunt and started to scout around and found the farmer that we were renting from releasing a butt load of roosters. To say we were upset was an understatement. Matter of fact we never went back. A couple of the guys have never come with us after that. We actually thought for those years we were hunting wild birds. What a let down. None of us are rich guys and we have to save all year to make this trip. For some of us this is the only true vacation we get all year. Luckily I found Uguide. We have hunted his properties for 6 or 7 years and we love it. All wild birds for sure. The first few years we didn't do all that well. No limits for sure but still fun. Now with all the improvements he has put in the habitat it is truly a blast. All I'm saying is be careful. There are more released birds out there than you may think.

clues

when you hear or read about a bunch of guys hunting private property and they brag about all the roosters they were seeing and weren't bothered by a lot of hens, watch out

cheers

Ok. I stand corrected. But that was a pretty minor point in the question. So remove the word illegally. Is that still what you are saying?

Not looking pick a fight either. Have been around here a long time and that is not my mode of operation. I'm asking because the economics of it don't make much sense to me on any sort of scale that it really matters for most hunters looking to find wild birds. Especially for freelancers looking to hunt wild birds.

All the locals I know, that know a local outfitter, says they are putting birds out.

The economics is exactly the incentive to do it. You can put a lot of birds out on the same acres every day and pressure is not an issue. Cost of land rent is down.

Fair Chase requires acres, quality and management.

released birds

one thing for the most part, in this country, we can do just about what we want. you have a choice to go to a pheasant farm and shoot released birds and if you find that fun or useful than do it, it you want to go to a lodge or guided outfit that releases birds for you the so be it. don't kid yourself though, it can hardly be called hunting, it plain and simple is called shooting, big difference, can it be fun, depends on you I guess

cheers

I take some issue with the attitude of some pheasant hunters that going pheasant hunting is ALL about being with friends, family, and watching the dog work. "If my dog points 2 hens, a rabbit, a chickadee and maybe one rooster, then I've had a good day. The "thrill" of watching my dog is what it's all about".

This attitude is not quite the same as, but is a close cousin to apathy.

The tradition of pheasant hunting and what most hunters are looking for are VAST, almost endless numbers of birds(aka, the 40's and 50's era). Wanting this is the fuel that supports habitat on a VERY large scale. With a "less is ok" mentality, that support is, to some degree, compromised.

Not saying that having a reunion or watching the dog is not a big part of it, but IMO, it's less important than keeping habitat and numbers strong. After all, you can have a reunion and watch the dog work in southern Illinois. There are many places for those who just want that. If that's truly what you desire, then hunt the fringe areas of "pheasantland".

I'm for strengthening AND expanding "pheasantland" upward in numbers and outward beyond the SD core area.

I take some issue with the attitude of some pheasant hunters that going pheasant hunting is ALL about being with friends, family, and watching the dog work. "If my dog points 2 hens, a rabbit, a chickadee and maybe one rooster, then I've had a good day. The "thrill" of watching my dog is what it's all about".

The tradition of pheasant hunting and what most hunters are looking for are VAST, almost endless numbers of birds(aka, the 40's and 50's era). Wanting this is the fuel that supports habitat on a VERY large scale. With a "less is ok" mentality, that support is, to some degree, compromised.

Not saying that having a reunion or watching the dog is not a big part of it, but IMO, it's less important than keeping habitat and numbers strong. After all, you can have a reunion and watch the dog work in southern Illinois. There are many places for those who just want that. If that's truly what you desire, then hunt the fringe areas of "pheasantland".

I'm for strengthening AND expanding "pheasantland" upward in numbers and outward beyond the SD core area.

Apathy? Hardly. Reality? Yes.

Much as we might all dream about expanding pheasantland upland, for many areas such as mine here in SE Wisconsin, that isn't and won't ever be possible. The land here has been sold and fragmented and developed. It won't ever birds, ever again. This is sad, but is reality.

There is still the chance to "save" some of the fringeland in the Upper Midwest that hasn't fallen to development, I don't disagree and do support that by belonging to organizations like PF, spending big $ at their banquets, voting for politicians that support hunting, etc. But for me to hunt wild birds on public land here...it's all but a pipe dream.

If wanted my dog to get birdy and flush just a bird or two, I'd stick to the stocked birds that the State puts out on crowded, somewhat marginal land. Instead, I decided that I wanted to make the trip to South Dakota.

I work in a high pressure, faced paced job for a very large manufacturing company. For those couple of days, it was just me and my dog living a much simpler life. I got to see for myself miles of rolling fields. It was got to meet some great people. My dog got to flush and retrieve a some truly wild birds. And I left a bunch of money behind in some small towns that in some small part might go to preserving there what is long gone here.

Apathy? Not hardly.

#1- I think you stroke a pretty broad brush when you say other than yourself, we as follow hunters aren't concerned with the topic of expanding habitat.

Reality is in our lifetime large volume expansion will probably not happen. I am sure a large percentage of hunters wouldn't have any problem helping/giving to increase the vast volume of "pheasantland". Who says that there isn't a percentage of us who are giving now what we can to help the cause. I myself have donated pups to local PF chapters in SD & IA to help with their programs.

#2- Some of us are actually there to spend quality time with our family away from the busy world we live in back at home. I myself as a part time dog breeder take pride in watching my young developing dogs figure it out when they are in SD. There is no other place in the country for a dog to get a education based on the amount of contact. Back home homing pigeons and the few scattered Wisconsin grouse just doesn't provide the volume of education a dog can get over a week's time in SD.

Also one trip to SD will quantify if your dog will have the instinct they need to become a successful hunter. What is that worth to the guy who work's 80+ hours a week and had limited time to train his young dog/partner. You don't think that individual will be proud of himself and his dog after the hard work he put in back home? I can guarantee that memory of the moment when it clicked for that young pup in SD will stick for life. I know it has with myself. I guess I would define that as appreciation and satisfaction all in one. Isn't that what it's all about to some degree????

#3- Appreciating every day that I can hunt wild pheasants in SD is a good thing. I am also sure others would agree with this statement. Before I know it I will be 60 years old and wondering where the time went. For me there's nothing like hunting along the breaks in the evening and taking a few minutes to sit and listen. You can't hear anything, dead silence & absolute beauty. I guess if you take that picture for granted then there's a problem.

In closing I am sure we would all love to have millions of acres to hunt that would provide 1000 bird multiple flushes. The reality is that just won't happen. There are two many factors that are out of our control in today's world that won't let SD be what it was back in the 40's, 50's or 60's. SD is "Big Business" and I am not talking because of pheasants. All we can do as hunters or better yet sportsman is try to help the cause by any means we can afford.

Good Luck Everyone!

#1- I think you stroke a pretty broad brush when you say other than yourself, we as follow hunters aren't concerned with the topic of expanding habitat.

Reality is in our lifetime large volume expansion will probably not happen. I am sure a large percentage of hunters wouldn't have any problem helping/giving to increase the vast volume of "pheasantland". Who says that there isn't a percentage of us who are giving now what we can to help the cause. I myself have donated pups to local PF chapters in SD & IA to help with their programs.

#2- Some of us are actually there to spend quality time with our family away from the busy world we live in back at home. I myself as a part time dog breeder take pride in watching my young developing dogs figure it out when they are in SD. There is no other place in the country for a dog to get a education based on the amount of contact. Back home homing pigeons and the few scattered Wisconsin grouse just doesn't provide the volume of education a dog can get over a week's time in SD.

Also one trip to SD will quantify if your dog will have the instinct they need to become a successful hunter. What is that worth to the guy who work's 80+ hours a week and had limited time to train his young dog/partner. You don't think that individual will be proud of himself and his dog after the hard work he put in back home? I can guarantee that memory of the moment when it clicked for that young pup in SD will stick for life. I know it has with myself. I guess I would define that as appreciation and satisfaction all in one. Isn't that what it's all about to some degree????

#3- Appreciating every day that I can hunt wild pheasants in SD is a good thing. I am also sure others would agree with this statement. Before I know it I will be 60 years old and wondering where the time went. For me there's nothing like hunting along the breaks in the evening and taking a few minutes to sit and listen. You can't hear anything, dead silence & absolute beauty. I guess if you take that picture for granted then there's a problem.

In closing I am sure we would all love to have millions of acres to hunt that would provide 1000 bird multiple flushes. The reality is that just won't happen. There are two many factors that are out of our control in today's world that won't let SD be what it was back in the 40's, 50's or 60's. SD is "Big Business" and I am not talking because of pheasants. All we can do as hunters or better yet sportsman is try to help the cause by any means we can afford.

Good Luck Everyone!

Good post. I am 60 now and yes I do wonder where the time went. :eek:
Agree (sadly) that it is unrealistic to return to what it was in the 40's, 50's and 60's (I was pretty young but got to experience hunting some of those 60's). The early 90's until about 2010 was also a pretty darn good pheasant era in many areas - I've had many great hunts in that time. I would be good with getting hunting back to that level....

Let's review what I said:

1. I did NOT say that it was apathy - in fact, I said it "is NOT quite the same as but is a close cousin to apathy".

2. I also said "what MOST hunters are looking for are vast, almost endless numbers of birds". This would strongly suggest that MOST hunters are for expanding habitat.

I would never think of including the eastern states, including Wisconsin under the definition of "pheasantland". Those days are for sure over.

My "realistic" definition of "pheasantland" is:

1. Almost all of SD and ND
2. 20-75% of the following states:
Minnesota
Iowa
Colorado(NE corner)
Montana
Nebraska
Kansas

We can work with this "raw material". Lot's of vast, unpopulated and un developed areas here - still have an opportunity to restore the glory days. Today, SD and ND are, to one degree or another, in good shape(but it's fragile) It's the "outer core" areas in the above other states where I see big opportunity.

In the late seventies, SD was almost on the brink of being annexed to the also-rans of the east. With the CRP program, it was slowly but surely restored to "glory day" status from 2006-10. Been there VERY recently, done that. VERY realistic. It still is a fine place to hunt birds. Gotta keep grass @ 10%+ to make numbers stick though.

Yearly Harvest Totals? Not sure how they are accumulated but in the years our group has hunted we were never asked nor did we ever give our kill numbers to anyone. I think harvest totals are nothing more than a guess based on number of liscenses sold.
They sample a small% of hunters and hope the avg is good x number of licenses. They can also check with game processors.

Well that got the old forum going--:D--

RK Special K I hear what you are saying and sadly much of it is true--but there is hope. I started on my own journey to have good quality bird habitat about 7 years ago and it has been a real roller coaster ride to say the least. I started with a knowledge base of ZERO and now have a little idea of how things work

1. No matter what you do "MA NATURE " bats last, all you can do is give the wildlife a better chance
2. Well laid plans don't always work.
3. What is required is --WORK, WORK, WORK.
4. Money helps.
5 Oh yea add a dash of good luck.

But most important of all is to enjoy and embrace what you accomplish, even the smallest of things--ya can't win them all so be happy with those that you do.

As a landowner I really like the big number flushes and they have happened on my place, but just as good is the guy that just enjoys the hunt and is happy for the chance. So Beirl Setters, double trigger and 519 VX I'll try to make things better on my little part of heaven on earth. Its all I can do. :thumbsup:

days

All I know is I'm 10 days away from hunting SD chickens and sharpies! And I'm super pumped to get back out in the fields and hunt some birds!

:cheers:

Well that got the old forum going--:D--

RK Special K I hear what you are saying and sadly much of it is true--but there is hope. I started on my own journey to have good quality bird habitat about 7 years ago and it has been a real roller coaster ride to say the least. I started with a knowledge base of ZERO and now have a little idea of how things work

1. No matter what you do "MA NATURE " bats last, all you can do is give the wildlife a better chance
2. Well laid plans don't always work.
3. What is required is --WORK, WORK, WORK.
4. Money helps.
5 Oh yea add a dash of good luck.

But most important of all is to enjoy and embrace what you accomplish, even the smallest of things--ya can't win them all so be happy with those that you do.

As a landowner I really like the big number flushes and they have happened on my place, but just as good is the guy that just enjoys the hunt and is happy for the chance. So Beirl Setters, double trigger and 519 VX I'll try to make things better on my little part of heaven on earth. Its all I can do. :thumbsup:

Very well said Jim. :cheers:

Just got a text from poet in Mitchell. Corn is going for a whopping $2.95 a bushel. Hmmm.......wonder if that is any good for pheasants?

Last edited:
In fact, PF should cease all efforts in the "eastern states" and concede these to population, development and the deer/turkey hunters. That battle was lost long ago. Then they should quadruple-up their efforts in the "realistic" definition of "pheasantland" where there is a solid foundation to rebuild bird numbers.

A good example is the Nebraska panhandle especially around Alliance. In the late seventies and early eighties this area held fantastic numbers of birds. It's marginal and declining now. Population and development has changed little in this area in the last 40-50 years but farming practices have. Restoring grass in this area would be built upon a strong foundation. There are many similar areas in the "outer core" areas. The tri-state area in every direction from Sioux City, Iowa is another. Good "raw material" to build on but currently VERY weak on grass habitat. I would, however, stay away from getting to close to Sioux Falls as that is a population and development problem. Pheasantland needs a low-population foundation for the structure that's built upon it to be sound and secure.

Back