Resident Opener

ranchodeluxe

So far,so good.:cool::cool:

Thanks, R D, that's 2 good reports so far! How does habitat situation look? Nobody mentioned snakes, porcupines, skunks...:thumbsup:

I was only out for a couple hours with my step-son. We each have 2 Brittanys. Hunted a small WIA and a WPA NW of Watertown towards Waubay. We never saw a bird. I did some scouting of WIA's, GPA's and WPA's east of Watertown and the cover sucked. CRP has been cut and in a couple of GPA's they had allowed cattle in there to graze. :confused: Thus no cover. I'm sure that other areas of the state are much better but again this year it's going to suck the big one around Watertown. :(

Cover looked surprisingly good in the area of NW SD that we hunted.We decided to hit some very remote WIAs.There was one large party in the area,looked like they did well and they never messed with us.Most of the hunters we saw (about six vehicles) were headed to ND but didn't get to catch any of them coming back for a report.We limited with three people and my dog.Kept a 15y/o interested all day and he shot a limit easily.

Good info guys, thanks for sharing. We are heading up West of Pierre in a few weeks and looking forward to the hunt no matter the conditions.:)

I spoke with the guy that farms our ground earlier this week, he says bring plenty of shells lots of birds. I also called the vet I use out there she says driving around visiting clients she sees lots of birds way more than last year.

Best resident opener ever. Why? All the crops are out and the cover is very limited. 4 guys done by 4:00 with a couple of long breaks to get the dogs cooled off. Hunting an area not known to have a lot of birds, but I saw broods there a couple times this summer. Scouting paid off.

Back