Rescue Dog Question

I have a potentially time sensitive issue with a dog I'm looking to adopt. I was looking for a hypo-allergenic or low shedding dog that would work as a hunting dog. Ran into an 11 month old Plott Hound mix at a local shelter. The shelter's intel on him makes it sound like he wants to be trained to do something, still got a lot of puppy energy along with it but commands he knows seem to control him well and help calm him down. My primary concern is they say he's exhibited resource guarding where once he has something he doesn't want to give it up all the time. I'm wondering how difficult it might be to train him away from that when it comes to retrieving birds (or other game). I know I'm taking a bit of a risk with a shelter dog and starting to train him a little older than others might recommend so I'm wondering if the resource guarding makes him a "bad risk" or if that's something I'll likely be able to work with in training. From what I have read on resource guarding he may just be doing it due to his less than stable living situation in the shelter. He exhibits the behavior to humans, not just to dogs.

A Plott Hound was never meant to be a bird dog. Not that one couldn't be trained to hunt birds, but I think you are biting off a lot trying to make a bird dog out of him. And with his other issue I think I'd pass on him. If you are interested in a rescue bird dog there are a number of sources you can try.

Get a German wirehair, the poodle blood in them makes for no shedding. Awesome dogs, great pointers, like the water, can take cold, burrs don't stick to their fur....

Sure a nail can be pounded in with a crescent wrench. And sure a Plott hound could be trained to hunt birds. But you will be at a big disadvantage and have a tough road ahead of you. I have a lot of respect for your desire to adopt a shelter animal but it seems like a poor fit.

Sure a nail can be pounded in with a crescent wrench. And sure a Plott hound could be trained to hunt birds. But you will be at a big disadvantage and have a tough road ahead of you. I have a lot of respect for your desire to adopt a shelter animal but it seems like a poor fit.
What Gazby said—!!

I guide a lot of different states and birds a year and you’ll laugh but I have a Queensland heeler that is an amazing retriever for birds. Take her pheasant and quail hunting ( not with clients ) and she loves it. Could get the dog to retrieve I’m sure. But point birds is a slim chance to none. Might make you a good dove dog?

Uh... thread started and went until APRIL, then popped back to life August 30th. Think the issue is concluded.

(Also think the IP was not thinking things through.)

Back