Reports

I Have never seen a double beak. Odd looking
Good to see someone in the state still has birds my last two times out I don't even carry a gun I would just like to see one.

I went out Friday to SW MN and 2 of us baged 2 roosters and 4 Huns! Went north central Saturday 1 bird should have been 4 not one of my best shooting days. It was nice to hunt a different part of the state. The huns will be going on the wall. Made my 2011 bird season.

Last edited:
I saw 2 flocks of around 20 or so last time I was home this fall. There are more around then you might think. My dad sees them Coyote hunting every other day. They stop and glass a bunch of fields and fence lines. You drive right past them more then you realize. They look like little dirt clumps and don't hang on roads much at all. They are very good at blending in the bare fields looking like plowed dirt. They spend 99% of there time out in the middle of dirt fields where we simply do not go. Most times you walk them up cutting across a field going to cover pheasant hunting, or get lucky to see some run off a road or close to a road, and get permission for a sneak. I have never flushed one out of cover ever.

I've only gotten two huns in my life, both stumbled upon by accident.

As Ken said, they were out in the middle of land where no bird should have been. I would not have seen them had they not flushed. Didn't fly far, just far enough, and in the middle of open land, so I couldn't walk up on them again.

In Southwestern Wisconsin, huns are mostly the stuff of old hunters' stories.

We used to kick up alot of Huns late 70's early 80's in southwest minny. Was told that the pheasants will kick hun out of the hun nests then lay their eggs in with the hun eggs. Heard that the hun eggs actually take longer to hatch so their in the nest on hatched when the pheasant leaves with her brood. Don't know for sure this is true. But do know that as pheasant numbers appear to go up hun numbers go down. Kicked up huns out of picked corn (usually weeded corners but sometimes in the center of the field), alfalfa fields and cut grain fields. They like to be able to see over their cover. Usually don't break up to much and will generally fly over 1/4 mile the first time you jump them. Do hold fine for a pointing dog. If you want to find out about huns do a search for Ben O. Williams. He is out in Montana and been hunting and writing about it for years. He uses about 6 brittanies on the ground at a time.

While hunting sharptails in western SD mid-October this year, my hunting partner and I spotted a covey of about a dozen Hungarian partridge. We knew where they flew to and walked up on them quietly. They all exploded up in one group and I managed to drop two birds with 3 shots. My first double on Huns! They are a blast to hunt if you can find them, but they are hard to locate.

Last edited:
Back