Reports

mnjimmer

Wondering how things are going out there for you guys. I have only been out to my metro area farm a few times since the opener. Have found enough birds to keep it interesting. Now that my schedule is relaxing a bit and deer hunting is over, I plan to venture out a bit. Is it as bad as I'm hearing?

I got out the day after Halloween and limited in about 90 minutes. Both roosters were young birds, suggesting a re-nest, but I also saw some older birds and if memory serves, about equal numbers of hens and roosters. This was in the Southwest.

I plan to try north of north metro here in the next week or two. I will update then.

Went out SW Minnesota Friday, Saturday, Sunday this last weekend. Friday we flushed around 8 roosters and 6 Hens. Saturday we Flushed 2 roosters and 10 hens. Sunday we flushed 9 roosters and 12 hens. There are birds around not like years past. Mitch help as well. Who said flushers and pointers dont work good together.:D

Hoping to head out tomorrow for a short trip. I'm not optimistic but what the hey, beats workin'. I'll just tell the wife I'm ``doing it for the dogs...''

I'll be out south-central to near southwest. I will update later this week.

Hunted SW Minnesota. Two of us had our limited in 1 hr 20 mins. Saw 20-30 hens and 6 roosters. The birds we found we near sloughs.

Heck yeah! Missed the WIA (could not find it and ran out of time looking) but managed to spring three hens and a rooster on my second walk of the day and still get home to pick up the youngest from daycare!

Daisy and Buck worked this piece with a tail wind and turned on three hens on the way out, then we worked our way back tracking a fenceline we had bypassed when better cover looked more promising. Suddenly both dogs turned toward each other and they squeezed that rooster like toothpaste from a tube. two taps and he was down.

A magnificent day to be in the field and another rooster from public land in the pot. There's birds out there, friends, just get out and go.

Daisybuck

Last edited:
I have seen Paaalenty of birds out there but have left them alone just yet. Went once and wiffed my two, so I have pay back coming :D LOL
I put those 2 up in 20 min. But I hear lots of cackles and am seeing plenty of Roosters around. I plan to go after them after Nationals with the pooches. Which means all my hunting will be the last month this year. I just hope we don't end up bung hole deep in snow so soon again this year. That was a drag last year to get out at all over the hollidays.

The last 4 times I have headed out around the Brandon/Evansville area, I haven't seen a bird, not even a hen. Last year, even if I went out for an hour, I would pick up a bird. I don't think I will head back out until we get some snow. I am an avid snowmobiler, but I hope for pheasant hunting sake, we don't get any snow and have a warm winter. Hope for the best!

I have December 8-15 off of work, was going to head to SD again, but don't want to pay the money to have average hunting. I would like to try an area in another part of Minnesota, does anybody have some ideas for an area I towns to try hunting near that have public land. Other than around Alexandria, the only other areas in MN I have hunted is the Ortonville area. Thanks!

I just spent 3 days hunting public land in the Ortonville area. I only got 3 roosters but me and my two young dogs put up 10-15 hens and about 5 roosters each day. Definitely not like two years ago when I was there but we saw enough birds to keep us happy and we'd have been even happier if I would have shot better.

I just spent 3 days hunting public land in the Ortonville area. I only got 3 roosters but me and my two young dogs put up 10-15 hens and about 5 roosters each day. Definitely not like two years ago when I was there but we saw enough birds to keep us happy and we'd have been even happier if I would have shot better.

That's all that counts, Glad you had a great hunt:10sign:

I got out Tuesday for a short trip south of Lakeville. I missed what may have been the last public-land rooster in Rice and Scott Counties, which is sort of nice because it would have been like killing the last unicorn -- the mythical ``Metro-area rooster.'' Did see a few more hens, which is promising.

Still waiting to hear from my buddy with the property up north. That should be fun if we can get there before the snow is hip-deep like last year.

I got out Tuesday for a short trip south of Lakeville. I missed what may have been the last public-land rooster in Rice and Scott Counties, which is sort of nice because it would have been like killing the last unicorn -- the mythical ``Metro-area rooster.'' Did see a few more hens, which is promising.

Still waiting to hear from my buddy with the property up north. That should be fun if we can get there before the snow is hip-deep like last year.

Last Mythical metro Rooster :confused: No there is more birds than you think in that area they just are not on public land private is the key to success in the metro area :cheers:

:laugh:
Is that an invitation or just taunting? ;)

Nope not taunting wish i had more private land to hunt never hurts to knock most of the people i run across in the south metro that have birds on their land use the classic line i feed those birds our they are mine or id like it if you would just leave the wildlife on my land alone :laugh:

I went out Sunday by myself north & west. I flushed 20-25 birds in about 3 hours on private land. Only a couple of birds were roosters. I drove by several public areas and didn't see a soul. I think most have given up for the year.

I was out at several of the WMA's in Belle Plaine and New Prague and kicked up 2 roosters. The other day I got real desperate and went out at the WMA right across from downtown Shakopee.. I swear to whomever that I pulled in and the biggest rooster I have seen in 2 years flew right out of that WMA right into a private field. No joke! Its like he knew I was coming!

Has anyone been out on the public land near glenwood? I did well on some private land out there. What about any public land down south near Mankato. Anyone?

Wow -- Ugly public hunting in Brown County. Three big WIA/WMA areas and one rooster. Missed that big fella four times! Tuesday was a terrific day to be out and a classic late-season hunt. Both labs did great, though.

I rolled out early Tuesday morning wanting to try out a WIHA. Could not find the first, found the second and started out into the area. Both dogs were squirrely and I can tell you DO NOT WHISTLE FOR YOUR DOG IF YOU HAVE A BRASS WHISTLE AND IT IS -3! They came back in because of the loud cursing. Seriously, there was blood...

We hunted the WIHA, then went to a nearby WMA with good-looking prospects. We hunted grass and cats thinking birds might be hiding from the cold/snow without success. I loaded up and tried another part of the WMA -- this time with some pine and cedar without luck.

Disgusted, I turned North but pulled up short on the east side of the WMA where corn was still standing. We swung around downwind and circled south then west with the Yellow dog suddenly looking promising. His stride opened up and he stretched out heading into the cats. I quickly rolled into an opening for a firing field and watched as the 80-lb. lab crashed headlong into the cats.

Then he made his move: The rooster, an old guy with a hella long tail erupted 30 yards from where Buck was crashing in the cats. Honestly, against the clear blue sky I could see the grey smudge where the shot was downrange in the air chasing that rooster: Low left, low, low, high right.

Set down at another WMA and dogs got birdy but either they had gone or bailed while I was watching the black dog snort her way through a fenceline. The light was getting long and the kids had to be picked up so we headed back tired and happy. At least it would be easy to clean the birds. :D

Thanks for playing along. Maybe one or two more hunts left. Dogs are despondent but I think if we go again we'll run for Marshall.

Good luck out there folks!

Trird time out and just as good as always. Hr and a half 4 roosters up some hen action, and got 2. Could not shoot at my 3rd. I could hear others cackeling in the distance. The one was so old it had a double beak and double spurs starting, big bird. I guess I will just stick around MN where there is no birds:D.

DSCN0494.jpg

DSCN0492.jpg

DSCN0491.jpg

Last edited:
Back