reports

mmelton

Im heading out to stay in Armour on the 1st and may spend a few hours hunting public near town. Then will spend some time in Parkston hunting private and then spending three days hunting private near New Holland and Aroura Center.

Can anyone give me a report on how the bird numbers are in these three areas. Or how is the cover overall.

Seems like alot more people ask how things are going and after the hunt they forget to report on how things went. I will be sure to report how it goes for my party and try to take as many pictures as I can.

South of I-90 is tough. Cover looked great. Water is some areas, But birds are down south of I-90.

If you can, stay north of I-90. PM me if you want anymore details Melton.;)

Just hunted the last 5 days in the aurora center area, bird numbers are the worst we have seen in the last 20 years.
It is still great to be out, and the weather is beautifull

Do you mean to report that the SD GF&P report of +18% on bird numbers was not accurate??? Gee whiz......could they be wrong???
Folks, the GF&P reports are always good, even in poor years. Their mission is to get non-res hunters to SD no matter what the true story is, even if they fudge the actual numbers.

I've talked to many non-res hunters over the years that spent several days in the field with little to no success, and were not pleased. Obviously, the big dream of a SD pheasant-hunting paradise was not to be.

Another problem item is the number of WIA's with NO COVER. I travel around the state and have driven by WIA after WIA where you could play golf and never lose a ball! Supposedly, over a million acres are enrolled in the program. However, only a small portion of those acres have cover or huntable game on them.

Bird Counts.....

On my last trip out (2nd trip this year) after talking with some of my local contacts I was given some info on GFP birds counts. I was told the yearly count given includes all pheasants purchased out of state and brought in for preserves or just being released.

I am not against or for these figures being included. I just thought it was interesting info to have.

In reagards to the hunting this year, it's the worst I have seen for numbers in all of my 18 years of coming to SD. I sure hope numbers recover and I don't regret buying my own place in SD couple years back.

If you are heading out to hunt find the best cover you can. Make sure you have a good set of boots and be prepared to do alot of walking. I myself will be making one more trip out in December. I just can't keep from putting myself through the punishment of a down year. Any day in SD is still better than a day home in Wisconsin.

We just need to remember it's all about the experience and the dog work. Shooting limits is second as far as I am concerned.

private or public

I know that the public land has to be about used up for birds but is it that bad on Private too ?

On my last trip out (2nd trip this year) after talking with some of my local contacts I was given some info on GFP birds counts. I was told the yearly count given includes all pheasants purchased out of state and brought in for preserves or just being released.

I am not against or for these figures being included. I just thought it was interesting info to have.

In reagards to the hunting this year, it's the worst I have seen for numbers in all of my 18 years of coming to SD. I sure hope numbers recover and I don't regret buying my own place in SD couple years back.

If you are heading out to hunt find the best cover you can. Make sure you have a good set of boots and be prepared to do alot of walking. I myself will be making one more trip out in December. I just can't keep from putting myself through the punishment of a down year. Any day in SD is still better than a day home in Wisconsin.
BS on counting preserve birds. I agree with the remainder.
We just need to remember it's all about the experience and the dog work. Shooting limits is second as far as I am concerned.
BS on counting the preserve birds. I agree with all else.

there are birds still around, you just have to be selective where you go and the time of day....you could be sentenced to hunt in kansas this year, then you would have a real concern! :eek:

Response to replies......

:thumbsup:

Gents,

This is what I was told in regards to bird counts. I don't know if it's at all true? It's the first time I have heard this comment in 18 years of hunting SD. Either way it doesn't matter to me...... I am making my annual 2-3 trips a year to SD if I have to hunt the last rooster in the state. I am a loyal non-res hunter who enjoys SD so much I bought my own house just for coming out to hunt. Like I stated in earlier posts for me it's all about watching my setters work. It's really gradify to watch my young up and coming setters figure things out. When it comes to my bird dogs there's nothing more rewarding!

SD has grown on me to the point I hate to go back home and look at trees. I have become accustom to the lay of the land and enjoy evey moment I spend in SD. There never seems to be enough minutes in a hour or days in a week we are out to hunt.

i wonder if SDGFP have dumped out all their birds?:thumbsup:
anyone see their big stocking truck? :D

I told you guys before. That's why the shooting time is 10am. Gives the state guys a chance to stock before the hunters hit the fields:thumbsup: I heard because of fuel prices they just are not running as often:thumbsup:

Seems like when the harvest is early the 1st half season hunting is more productive than lat half and vice versa.

Private ground can also be worse than public ground based on the variables and how it is managed.

There hasn't been any sign of winter yet that has caused birds to bunch up in heavier cover yet.

I think everyone knows the state was under tremendous haying and grazing pressure this year due to the lack of moisture. It won't always be that way.

The climate rules and hunters drool.

The last 3 years the climate has ruled the roost in SD.

too warm

looks like high 50's mabe 60 for the first few days of hunting. last few years it was in the 20's and down to 0 at night. birds wont be bunched up like i had hoped.

well im heading out at 2am for the long drive will try to get some sleep but im feeling a little birdy so probably will just lay there all night thinking about the hunt

will let you guys know how we do

Back