Reports and pictures

turtle

I need to hear some reports and see some pictures . Do not want to know locations just stories and pictures.

It was windy....and cold.
Did I mention that SW Kansas was windy? and cold?
First pass through the grass, had a rooster get up at my feet had so many layers, couldn't get my gun to my shoulder. that left a mark.
Windy.....

Cheesy thanks for your pictures. I sat in a tree all weekend wishing I had gone west but I didn’t so I have to get over it. Your pictures helped

I wish I had some pictures for you,. We didn't do very well. I'm sure everyone uses the same excuses but the shooting was bad and the hunting not much better. We missed some birds yesterday and just chalked it up to guys being punch drunk from the wind. Today we just plain missed. This morning we were checked by the game warden,, yesterday he checked 91 hunters and 43 roosters.

We killed 9 and stopped around noon today. Did better today than yesterday. Seemed about same as last year where we were. We hunted mostly private but did kill a few on WIHA. We hunted Kiowa and Edwards counties. Wind was beyond horrible Saturday. There were three adults and two kids in our group. I’ll post up a pic after I recover.... The 9 we killed all had razor sharp spurs. Not a single young bird. I found this interesting because the farmer had been seeing a bunch of very young birds. Had a great time and found enough to keep it fun and interesring but numbers don’t even come close to comparing to 2000-2010. I do think we would have done better Saturday if it hadn’t been windy. We did as good today by noon as we did all day Saturday.

That badger pic made me think of one of today’s birds. My old warrior GSP went in a hole after a rooster. Got him out. A retrieve on what was definitely a lost bird. He could barely get out of the box this morning but he was on fire once he got moving. Had a cancerous toe removed last spring but it didn’t show this weekend. He’s almost 12 and it’s showing but he got after them. Made me smile.

We did as good as any we talked to at our hotel as far as birds per person. Saw quite a few coveys but they seemed smaller than last year. We didn’t chase any as we came up there after pheasants. I stay busy with bobs down here in Oklahoma.

Last edited:
My party of 8 had a great shoot Saturday We hunted private ground in Seward County Shot 19 roosters and 18 quail. Could of should of done better if it wasn’t for the wind Today our party of shot 11 roosters and 5 quail

4 guys hunted the Herington area with not much luck, 4 pheasants and 3 quail for the weekend. The drought this spring really hurt the birds and the cover, along with the snow not much to hunt. Plus that area is big cattle country and the native grass was grazed down to nothing.

Gary

We only hunted Sunday. Spent Saturday watching a really bad football game in Manhattan.

6 guys in central Kansas and we killed 3 roosters by 1:00. We saw one covey, but we left it alone. Saw enough birds to keep it interesting and to keep us going, but not much more than that. The cover is outstanding, but birds just aren't there like I hoped.

Our big trip is this weekend out farther west. Hoping for better numbers.

Our Saturday was 6 adults, 2 middle schoolers. We shot 4 roosters and a handful of quail. Definitely should have killed a few more roosters. Sunday 5 and 1 got 3 roosters and a few more quail. Enough to keep it interesting, but definitely not a ton of birds where we were.

Looks like new double is a simson?

It’s unmarked as far as maker. Some of the German gun gurus on some other forums said Sauer or Simson action then finished by others. I’d have to go find that post for the specifics. Fun little gun to carry all day.

Only hunted Saturday -2 guys 1 dog moved 5 coveys - 9 pheasants seen. First point of the year was a rooster and missed it at 15 yards. Shot 11 quail.

3 guys, Rooks County. There is a ton of ducks down. They were on every pond. So much rain this summer. Several north-south roads closed due to water running across them from draw to draw. Unbelievably cold and windy Saturday morning (18 with wind chill of 5). It was weird. We found birds exactly where they should have been in the morning and then they just kind of dried up. Couldn't find them in stubble or grass. Lots of milo is not cut and they just got 4 more inches of wet snow yesterday. Moved 6 coveys on 400 acres (private) and killed and found 6 roosters (lost one). We shot well and had most of our birds by 10:00 a.m.

Back