Report on Kansas

Report on Kansas.

I headed home after two full weeks in Hill City, and other places in Kansas. I arrived on December 17 and left New Years Day, so I was there for the Christmas day storm. I thought some might be interested in my impressions.

I am a westerner, from Idaho, but I have lived and hunted pheasants and quail in Nevada, Oregon and California. In each, access to hunting area was a major problem. I saw Idaho in the 60â??s when it was as good as it gets, but even then finding places to hunt was an issue. Kansas has thousands and thousands of acres available in the WIHAs and more in other public land. There are birds in almost all of it. Sure, some are better, some are worse. Private land is better on the average because it is hunted less, but a good hunter with a good dog, and particularly two or three good hunters working together can have very good results on WIHAs only. (I hunted alone exclusively). You can drive in any direction in the areas I looked at and pretty soon a WIHA sign with be there, and the land will have more than enough birds to be worth hunting.

There is a lot of discussion here on how many or how few birds a hunter can take in a day. My success on bird numbers was not remarkable. I averaged about a pheasant a day and maybe two or three quail in areas that had quail. Some days were better, some not quite as good. However I am old and I tire easily now. My dog had no experience on pheasants and had problems understanding pheasants. My dog had not hunted where there were rabbits, and she had some difficulty understanding we were not rabbit hunting. My eyes are not good and I missed a lot of birds. I donâ??t think I ever hunted more than 4 or 5 hours a day.

The thing about Kansas is not the number of birds, it is the quality of hunting. The cover is relatively easy and fun to hunt, and there were reasonable numbers of birds almost everywhere. I rarely heard a shot from another hunter and only once encountered a hunter while I was in a field. I never felt crowded. Sometimes there were hunter tracks. Many were fairly old, a few were fresh.

There is a lot of worrying and discussion here about some â??secretâ?� spot. The good spots are not that hard to find, just pay attention to what is there and start looking at different areas. While I like the â??edgeâ?� areas because they held more quail, it is no secret that pheasants like CRP grass next to feed, particularly something like corn or milo. I am also not convinced that success is dictated by the area of the state. I hunted near Hill City, Jewell, and east of Dodge. There were huntable numbers of birds in each of these areas.

There are almost no people out there. The farms are so efficient, the area one family farms is so large, that the country is almost deserted.

At times Kansas is a sad place. There are hundreds and hundreds of abandoned farmsteads. Each is the story of several generations who lived and died on a farm that is now a sad memorial to their lives. Even the towns are gradually shrinking away. Notice the age of the peopleâ??very young or in their 50â??s or 60â??s. In much of the West the small towns were destroyed by growth. My home town had 2500 people when I started high school. Now it has 80,000, and I do not recognize it when I go back for the occasional funeral. I wonder which is more painfulâ??destruction by the absence of people, or by too many people.

Anyway, go and hunt it and see it while it lasts. It is worth the time, worth the money, worth the effort. Hunt hard, but enjoy the country and the experience. Do not worry too much about whether you kill 4 pheasants a day. One bird well hunted with a dog that does a great job is worth many times a limit taken in a lucky group hunt with the birds surrounded and shot in a barrage in which few know which birds they shot and little hunting skill is required.

Enjoyed Kansas

Report on Kansas.

I headed home after two full weeks in Hill City, and other places in Kansas. I arrived on December 17 and left New Years Day, so I was there for the Christmas day storm. I thought some might be interested in my impressions.

I am a westerner, from Idaho, but I have lived and hunted pheasants and quail in Nevada, Oregon and California. In each, access to hunting area was a major problem. I saw Idaho in the 60â??s when it was as good as it gets, but even then finding places to hunt was an issue. Kansas has thousands and thousands of acres available in the WIHAs and more in other public land. There are birds in almost all of it. Sure, some are better, some are worse. Private land is better on the average because it is hunted less, but a good hunter with a good dog, and particularly two or three good hunters working together can have very good results on WIHAs only. (I hunted alone exclusively). You can drive in any direction in the areas I looked at and pretty soon a WIHA sign with be there, and the land will have more than enough birds to be worth hunting.

There is a lot of discussion here on how many or how few birds a hunter can take in a day. My success on bird numbers was not remarkable. I averaged about a pheasant a day and maybe two or three quail in areas that had quail. Some days were better, some not quite as good. However I am old and I tire easily now. My dog had no experience on pheasants and had problems understanding pheasants. My dog had not hunted where there were rabbits, and she had some difficulty understanding we were not rabbit hunting. My eyes are not good and I missed a lot of birds. I donâ??t think I ever hunted more than 4 or 5 hours a day.

The thing about Kansas is not the number of birds, it is the quality of hunting. The cover is relatively easy and fun to hunt, and there were reasonable numbers of birds almost everywhere. I rarely heard a shot from another hunter and only once encountered a hunter while I was in a field. I never felt crowded. Sometimes there were hunter tracks. Many were fairly old, a few were fresh.

There is a lot of worrying and discussion here about some â??secretâ?� spot. The good spots are not that hard to find, just pay attention to what is there and start looking at different areas. While I like the â??edgeâ?� areas because they held more quail, it is no secret that pheasants like CRP grass next to feed, particularly something like corn or milo. I am also not convinced that success is dictated by the area of the state. I hunted near Hill City, Jewell, and east of Dodge. There were huntable numbers of birds in each of these areas.

There are almost no people out there. The farms are so efficient, the area one family farms is so large, that the country is almost deserted.

At times Kansas is a sad place. There are hundreds and hundreds of abandoned farmsteads. Each is the story of several generations who lived and died on a farm that is now a sad memorial to their lives. Even the towns are gradually shrinking away. Notice the age of the peopleâ??very young or in their 50â??s or 60â??s. In much of the West the small towns were destroyed by growth. My home town had 2500 people when I started high school. Now it has 80,000, and I do not recognize it when I go back for the occasional funeral. I wonder which is more painfulâ??destruction by the absence of people, or by too many people.

Anyway, go and hunt it and see it while it lasts. It is worth the time, worth the money, worth the effort. Hunt hard, but enjoy the country and the experience. Do not worry too much about whether you kill 4 pheasants a day. One bird well hunted with a dog that does a great job is worth many times a limit taken in a lucky group hunt with the birds surrounded and shot in a barrage in which few know which birds they shot and little hunting skill is required.

I'm pleased by your remarks about the great and hospitable state of Kansas, my home place. Glad you enjoyed your hunting. Come back again and you will find that things will be much the same -- excellent for the upland hunter.

I really enjoyed reading your story and remarks. It's evident you're passionate about this great tradition and country.

I have yet to experience Kansas, but every year I say this is the year. Your story makes me want to go even more badly. I do hunt eastern CO alot, and imagine it being similar. Maybe some day I'll have the opportunity to spend two weeks pursuing those whiley birds.

All the best,

Chad

Thanks for sharing your take on our state. I love it and stories like this humble me. Now to find a job out that way so I can help add some bodies to a :DW KS town.

Your take on hunting is spot on. I love loading up the tailgate just as much as the next guy, but I had a great time on my vacation. I didn't put full days in and I never came close to a limit, but I saw enough birds to keep the dogs interested and we felt pretty isolated the entire time. The few birds I did harvest, I was very thrilled with.

Thanks again!

Not the first time this year I hunted Kansas, but the best! I'm headed back just to see the farmers that we hooked up with and of course to do some hunting. No, we didn't have a limit each time we have been either, but the people and the dog work was awesome. You have hit it spot on! Just a wonderful time with wonderful people. Thanks Kansas!!1:10sign::10sign::10sign::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Rod

You aren't alone in your impressions, marsingbob. Thanks for posting up. Some of the things you've touched on are substantial enough for us to chew over, if we like, over the off season.

I often imagine I'd like to "rescue" one of those farmsteads.

It sure is nice to get into the country. The quiet (preferably interrupted occasionally by frantic wingbeats) sounds wonderful after months and months of racket and clamor in the big city.

Report on Kansas.

Wow,
if you ever come back down this way your welcome at my bird camp!
You sound like a CLASS ACT. Thanks for your post!

High Tail Setter Gun Dogs
Dan Rodriguez

WOW, beautiful post MB! My sentiments exactly - this is what hunting should be all about! Ashamed to admit that I didn't always feel that way in much younger & stupid years, but I sure do now & have increasingly for a very long time. Having spent 50 yrs on this earth now, I often reflect on this kind of proper "PERSPECTIVE" & sometimes wonder if it partly comes with aging - like a fine wine. :)

I too feel a deep sadness in my heart anytime/anywhere that I see evidence of yet another farm/ranch or small community having gone down - and sometimes also quite a wellspring of anger when it is due to the incessant greedy-gobbling of never ending suburbia...Long live wild things & wild places forever!!!

For me personally, one of the favored elements of any "hunt" is a constant sense of ADVENTURE - seeing new places, trying new things, meeting new people. I don't really care much for just doing the same-old, same-old year-after-year & visiting the same old place/places throughout the season. Sounds like you had a really nice & memorable adventure with just you and your four-footed "best friend". Here's to many more!!! :cheers:

Have dreamed for years of adding KS to my wingshooting list, especially with the tantalizing bonus of a combo hunt with both roosters & quail in the mix...The only part of your story I am a little jealous about is the several-weeks-running that you were able to spend at it. I might nearly drop dead of a heart attack if I suddenly found myself with just one solid week to do the same! :D

Back