Report from south central SD

SDJIM

Just got home from the farm in Charles Mix county SD. While it is still very wet in the fields I was able to get around in the ATV and I'm VERY pleased with what I saw.

Seems the pheasant population has done very well over the winter, saw lots of birds with a good mix of roosters and hens. The other game is in good condition also--lots of deer and even a few turkeys. The waterfowl were just awsome.

If we get a normal year in respects to nesting season weather and the summer storms (hail) it could be be another year of good old South Dakota Pheasant hunting.

Looking forward to this year as it will be the 1st year of my retiremnet and I will be spending lots more time at the farm looking after things--it should be fun watching all this come togther.:cheers:

That would be awesome...I'm planning on making my first pheasant hunting trip out there this year. I have family who farm in Douglas County....looks like I need to head to Charles Mix County :)

sdjim, thanks for the report. What part of Charles Mix are you in? Are the hills where you call home? I am also encouraged by what I am seeing on the farm this spring. Heading back there with the Mrs. next Friday.

:cheers:

sdjim, thanks for the report. What part of Charles Mix are you in? Are the hills where you call home? I am also encouraged by what I am seeing on the farm this spring. Heading back there with the Mrs. next Friday.

:cheers:

Just outside of Platte for the farm and I live 300 miles west in the heart of the Black Hills. I've got the best of two worlds.:)

Snow

What's the total snowfall for the year up that way? I heard it's been brutal!

Well in the pheasant range south of I90 it's not been to bad but in the north east part of the state it's been HEAVY.

At home in the Black Hills(southern) we have had lots for us, about 60 inches I think and its snowed for the last 3 days and will for a couple more. It will be interesting to see how our local PF chapters projects helped over the winter.

My best guest is that if we get normal nesting weather and not to many heavy hail storms SD could have another banner year.:thumbsup:

Glad to hear that the birds did well over this brutal winter, I have been going to sd for 17 years now and have seen numerous bad winters and it shows the next season, I hope this year doesn't follow suit!!

Glad to hear that the birds did well over this brutal winter, I have been going to sd for 17 years now and have seen numerous bad winters and it shows the next season, I hope this year doesn't follow suit!!

waterdog, like sdjim said, the NE part of state has been hammered with moisture the last 2 if not 3 years.

In our county I would say the winter of 2009-2010 was one of the worst I have seen but yet this last fall was one of the best I have seen. Credit goes to weather and habitat.

Habitat, Habitat

Like it ws said in the move Field of Dreams "If you build it they will come" is so very true when it comes to wildlife habitat.

Those areas with people who work on habitat will have much better winter carry over that areas that only see farming fence row to fence row. I guess we are lucky in that even a small carry over in pheasants, if the nesting season goes good can create large populations over a good size area.

Back