Replacing a Bird Dog

Reifer

My dog will probably have to be put down today. Now I love my pet, but she is a bird dog and I need a new one. I cannot replace my pet, but the bird dog protion can be. I adopted her out of a shelter and she has been spectactular. I would like to adopt another one out of a shelter, but can't find a Brit, DD or GWP in my area for adoption. I am not opposed to buying from a breeder, but I want to exhaust all rescue options first. I paid $20 for my DD at a rescue and she has been wonderful as a house/hunting dog. I didn't need to train her, just gun conditioned her and started hunting.

I really don't know why I'm writing this post other than maybe someone has a dog they need to rehome, and I think the people on here are the only ones that can understand what I'm going through. she is more than a pet; shes my hunting partner. When everyone else said it was to cold, hot, wet, dry, or any other excuse to not hunt that day, she alwasy beat me to the truck.

Check out the websites of National Brittany Rescue and Adoption Network and American Brittany Rescue. Each site has photos and info about dogs available for adoption.

Reifer - I'm sorry for your loss. Only a person that has had both a great pet and great hunter can understand the sorrow and emptiness. I lost my first best buddy just over 3 years ago. The greatest honor I could pay to her was getting another pup, because I so enjoyed what she had given me as a companion and hunting partner.

It is very admirable of you to try to find a rescue dog or a dog that needs to be re-homed. Hats off to you sir for that! :cheers:

Sorry for the loss Reifer! Best thing you can do is get back in the saddle and find the new partner. It is not disrespectful of your last dog, only shows that you care for animals and that you want to help them enjoy their time here on this earth. God created them with a desire and drive, hate to see them not use it and enjoy it. Good luck. RAGOM is also an organization to check out. Not sure where you are from but it stands for Rescue A Golden Of Minnesota.

My bad. I'm in Colorado Springs. I'm so used to posting on local forums that people know my. LOL. My wife, (deployed) said the same thing. I told her I could give up bird hunting forever without Kuna. She said I needed to get back in the saddle ASAP. She doesn't understand how that means getting a new dog, but is supportive. I may have found one in Michigan, and it just so happens the cadet I sponsor at the Air Force Academy lives 30 mintues from there and will be home in two days. He spends every weekend at my house, hunts with me, and knows what I look for. I'm sure God has a plan, and maybe I have given Kuna 5 great years, and it's time to spread the wealth.

Very hard losing a friend and hunting partner. Most of us here know what your going though.
It is best to get a pup soon. The pup will be ready to hunt by Fall.

UPH is a great place to put word out that you looking for a pup.

I got word of Woody, my Britt from these forums. Northern MN to Lawrence KS. I traveled 7 states on the trip. :cheers:

Not a short hair fan. I have never encountered one that will come inside and be a house dog. My dogs must be pets first. Kind of the rule. they have always been to hyper to manage in the house.

Not a short hair fan. I have never encountered one that will come inside and be a house dog. My dogs must be pets first. Kind of the rule. they have always been to hyper to manage in the house.

I have 3 of those damn house/Pet Shorthairs!! Get what you think works best for your family. Sorry to hear about the loss!! It sucks they leave us all too soon!!! Good luck!!

Well, all the tests came back with no clue to what is wrong. They really don't know if her being sick is a symtom or the cause. Is she so sick she won't eat or drink, or is she not eating or drinking because she is sick. Put her on a liquid diet, medicine, and by the end of the weekend, we will know. She has kept down about half her food, but lets be honest, the odds of her being here are slim to none. Dr. said she is not in pain, she just feels like she has gas. If she was in pain, it would have been a done deal. One of the worst times in my life right now. Thanks everyone for the support. I think I have narrowed it down to two or three dogs that are canidates with the help of some very helpful people here.

Good luck with your companion Reifer. We all know how tough it is when they get sick or old. It's the hardest thing about owning dogs. I hope your dog recovers but if not, getting another companion (not a replacement) is the best therapy. And better yet if you can make it a rescue and become a new home for homeless dog.
Tom

My daughter was showing me Brittanys on a rescue page or two yesterday hoping Christmans eve would pull my decision in her favor.

Britt, Did it work? LOL

I've been looking at every rescue page out there and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I want either a GWP or a Britt. Some of these rescue people are jerks. I run my dogs on a treadmill because I don't have a big backyard and you would think I was beating them with a belt or something. They seem more high on themselves than the dog breeders.

Britt, Did it work? LOL

I've been looking at every rescue page out there and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I want either a GWP or a Britt. Some of these rescue people are jerks. I run my dogs on a treadmill because I don't have a big backyard and you would think I was beating them with a belt or something. They seem more high on themselves than the dog breeders.

I'm sorry to hear that but I'm seeing the exact same thing trying to adopt a JRT. You have cats? Jacks and cats can't co exist. Your property isn't completely fenced? Oh no, we can't have that.:mad:

Back