REM 1100 magnum

fadetoblack188

Anyone shoot an 1100 magnum for pheasants?

What ammo are you using?

the 1100s with the magnum receiver don’t like the light loads. What’s a heavy pheasant load to ensure good cycling.

thanks

Golden Pheasant or Federal copper plated upland loads would both cycle it no problem I would think. I’m sure others would also but those are both ones I typically shoot.

Matt gave you some good info above ^^^^.
I would also suggest 1 1/4 oz. 1300 fps and up. For
Lead, I prefer #5 shot.
If you hunt a place that requires non-toxic.
I would suggest 1 1/4 oz steel, 1400 fps and up. #2 or #3 shot.
These shells should cycle any Magnum shotgun. Assuming 12 gauge?

I had an 1100 magnum in High School...same issue. If you look in the barrel retention ring that slips over the magazine you will see only one gas port in the magnum barrel. If you really like the gun go in search of a standard barrel...it will have two holes allowing more gas passage and lighter loads to work. You can put a standard barrel on a magnum receiver but not vis-versa.

Otherwise...as stated more than once above...you're stuck with high velocity, at 1 1/4 oz minimum for cycling with a magnum barrel. Pick up a bunch of extra o-rings for the barrels as well if you go that route. No matter how careful you are, you'll eventually snag an o-ring and stretch it all out and you have no gas seal...regardless of the load.

Don't those older 1100 Mags weigh a ton and a half? Pretty heavy for an upland gun. I had an 1187 when they first came out and that was a heavy beast also. Nice gun, but heavy.

Closer to two tons...but I was young and it didn't seem to bother me. Now that I'm over 50...NO WAY...it might sit in a duck boat but there is no way today I'd lug that thing over miles of cover.

Don't get me wrong...great gun...pointed great. You certainly won't be stopping your swing. Gene Hill once said that: "If you're a good waterfowl shot...the 1100 will make you better." Soft shooting gun. Keep it clean and not swimming in oil and It's as reliable as any gun out there. Funny...I had an 1187 the first year they came out as well.

Try looking on line at Corson's Barrels or The Barrel Exchange. I've found odd barrels on these sites for older A-5's and Ithaca's.

Got a magnum and a regular. Both are great, but they are heavy. Most of the time I carry a o/u 20 but late season pheasant I’ll break out the 1100 and lug it lol.

I don't think they are heavy, I just think there are lighter-weight ones available now. Do you think your fathers, grandfathers, etc complained about the weight of them? Most fellas have desk jobs now so you might not have the musle tone the prior generations had. I have one of the desk jobs but am very active on the weekends, keeps me in better shape than most it seems. I am only 57 but when I get older, might have to consider the light-weight options. Every week it will feel lighter as your arms/shoulders get some tone built-up. To ME, I think the Remington auto loaders are great guns. Some good advice above. Take care of the "O" ring and it will last for decades, I am still using the original one in my 1187, bought it new in the late 80s. I do have a pack of replacements, just-in-case, but I have 3 or 4 Rem autos (really only use one now). I also clean it every 2 or 3 weeks, I reload my own and LongShot isn't as clean as factory loads, also I hunt a lot of tall CRP and the trigger assembly seems to be a magnet for seeds and grass stems.

I took a fella out on a hunt a couple years ago, his gun was malfuctioning, so I traded him guns, his was a Tri-Star 12 gauge, it was so light, I would have guessed it was a plastic prop-gun, but he did fire a few shells....one at a time, as it wouldn't feed. I will keep lugging my 2 ton Remington for now. There is normally only 2 of us hunting, so it is not like we have to hunt long days.

1100 Magnums are great dual-purpose waterfowling tools. You can shoot ducks and geese and if necessary use it for a boat anchor.

:)
:ROFLMAO: That was my point. Some of the commentary to my reply was as to physical stamina or masculinity. Well...I'm 6'3", about 290 lbs, played ball in college. In my prime could bench over 300 lbs with some ease...never believed in "maxing out". Our "grandfathers" worked as they had to. No other choice as desk jobs at the time were not common.

It's no badge of honor to be able to lug a cinder block over miles of cover. The 1100 mag. is a great gun...as I said I owned one. It was just a lot nicer to carry it with a standard, 26" barrel for lighter loads. Today...there are simply better options to an individuals ways and means.

That's all I meant.

I don't use magnum for hunting because it has low accuracy and high recoil. I use a similar handgun if I need to kill a beast at close range. But for shooting pheasants, I use Glock 37. If you want to know about the characteristics of this pistol, then read the glock 37 review on the Internet or watch the video on YouTube. I think this gun is perfect for hunting and shooting pheasants. Since the 37 Glock model has a longer barrel than other models, it is one of the most accurate pistols in the Glock series.

I don't think they are heavy, I just think there are lighter-weight ones available now. Do you think your fathers, grandfathers, etc complained about the weight of them?

Yes, they complained about the weight of heavy guns. I hunted with my father and his friends in the early 1970s. I distinctly remember some of them complaining about the weight of their duck guns they carried while pheasant hunting.

My father did not duck hunt. He had purchased a Browning Sweet 16. Some of his friends were quite envious.

Back