Relocation to south dakota

Chamberlain is kind of cool.A few good bars.Ive kicked around there a little. I think there may be geese to hunt, and turkey.

If a guy moves to s.d. to hunt realize from Pierre it's no more then 200 miles to hunt anything you can get a s.d. license for.
From Chamberlain it isn't much further. Yankton and that distance can almost double.

A word to folks moving to the country:

Don‘t move to an agricultural area and then expect agriculture to change in some way.

There will be dust, there will be smells, there will be noise at anytime day or night, there will be big, slow vehicles on the roads, there might be chemical drift. The last shouldn’t happen but it can, no matter how careful a producer is.

I hope you find a pleasant place to call home.

A word to folks moving to the country:

Don‘t move to an agricultural area and then expect agriculture to change in some way.

There will be dust, there will be smells, there will be noise at anytime day or night, there will be big, slow vehicles on the roads, there might be chemical drift. The last shouldn’t happen but it can, no matter how careful a producer is.

I hope you find a pleasant place to call home.
The OPs screen name is birdhunter6, I’m sure he has an idea what’s in store for him. I think you may be preaching on the wrong forum.

Juicemaster, I was responding to McFarmer’s cautionary commentary about the rural life…I’m sure you figured that out. I hope to increase the time I spend there. Yeehaw! 🥳

Yah, the OP will be in town, his wife will see to that. I just hope for him she doesn't retract her acceptance to move from whatever urban area they are from once she visits...in the winter. Weimdogman had a great point for Pierre. Pierre is closest for pairie dawg towns too. Where do you currently live birdhintersix?

Oh boy, now I feel compelled to respond. Just couldn't pass this one up.

I have stated my aspirations to move to south dakota. Alittle bio about me. I live south of the Mason-Dixon line in the land of Illinazi (Illinois). That being said I live nearly 400 miles south of Chitcago. About 45 miles from Paducah, KY. We grow corn, soybeans, milo, wheat, alfalfa and in the hill country peaches, apples, grapes, tomatoes and other small vegetables. No I don't live in some blue city.

I have planted/supervised nearly 6,000 acres of praire grass (bluestem, Indian grass, switch grass, forbs, introduced cool season grasses such as (timothy, alfalfa, red top and clovers) and small grain food plots from a Ford 6610 and JD 5410, JD 4020 hardtops pulling a great plains 705nt or Truax flex 88 no till drills. Also have sat on a tree planter and put bare root trees/shrubs in the furrow hairy end down.

In the past, I held a pesticide applicators license while spraying roundup, plateau, treflon, 2.4.d, fusilade and a host of other herbicides from open cab tractors and Polaris ranger.

In addition I held a prescribed burn supervisors permit. Meaning i was responsible for controlled burns on state wildlife mgmt areas as well as on some private lands.

I have been chased out of waterfowl banding traps during the summer months by cottonmouths, aka water moccasins while banding wood ducks.

While training my setters on August 1, 2010 I was bitten by a copperhead at sunset. Next day in the hospital, ugh, not fun.

Raised by depression Era parents, I miss em every day. Dad didn't take no bs from me in my testosterone youth..lol. dad being a former MP in the 10th Mountain Division was a no nonsense upbringing.

I am a retired wildlife biologist, so Mcfarmer I think I'm very familiar with rural life.

Thank you
End of rant!🤪

Oh boy, now I feel compelled to respond. Just couldn't pass this one up.

I have stated my aspirations to move to south dakota. Alittle bio about me. I live south of the Mason-Dixon line in the land of Illinazi (Illinois). That being said I live nearly 400 miles south of Chitcago. About 45 miles from Paducah, KY. We grow corn, soybeans, milo, wheat, alfalfa and in the hill country peaches, apples, grapes, tomatoes and other small vegetables. No I don't live in some blue city.

I have planted/supervised nearly 6,000 acres of praire grass (bluestem, Indian grass, switch grass, forbs, introduced cool season grasses such as (timothy, alfalfa, red top and clovers) and small grain food plots from a Ford 6610 and JD 5410, JD 4020 hardtops pulling a great plains 705nt or Truax flex 88 no till drills. Also have sat on a tree planter and put bare root trees/shrubs in the furrow hairy end down.

In the past, I held a pesticide applicators license while spraying roundup, plateau, treflon, 2.4.d, fusilade and a host of other herbicides from open cab tractors and Polaris ranger.

In addition I held a prescribed burn supervisors permit. Meaning i was responsible for controlled burns on state wildlife mgmt areas as well as on some private lands.

I have been chased out of waterfowl banding traps during the summer months by cottonmouths, aka water moccasins while banding wood ducks.

While training my setters on August 1, 2010 I was bitten by a copperhead at sunset. Next day in the hospital, ugh, not fun.

Raised by depression Era parents, I miss em every day. Dad didn't take no bs from me in my testosterone youth..lol. dad being a former MP in the 10th Mountain Division was a no nonsense upbringing.

I am a retired wildlife biologist, so Mcfarmer I think I'm very familiar with rural life.

Thank you
End of rant!🤪
If you relocate I’d hire you to help me rejuvenate my ground which has morphed from good grass to less than good grass…thx for your bio! Impressive. 👍👍

He's no frickin city kid, kind of surprised you haven't figured this deal out on your own long ago (been here almost a decade) by spending a little time reading posts here regarding SD hunting/fishing oppoutnities and similar relocation threads posted about annually. We get your complete resume and you didn't even list where you were from in your profile....you are not alone in skipping that. Guess you are out of your shell now. You have a skill-set that will likely gain you some private land opportunites if you aren't careful. The local PF chapters would like you on their habitat committees, seriously consider that.

As of now I only know 2 people in south dakota. My friend in Sioux falls and a warden in Charles mix County. No its not what you think, a professional courtesy contact.

Therefore, may be doing some habitat consulting would be a way to meet like minded individuals. I'm sure there would be a PF chapter that might like to hear some random thoughts.
Just not sure Pierre is in the cards despite being my first choice of locations. Seems much more costly than other locations and contractors are 1 to 2 years out. Have some property leads through a contractor in Yankton. Meaning might have to drive an hour or more to get into good bird country. He quoted me $175 to $225 sq ft for new construction. Saw a new house under construction in pierre and the builder was asking $315. Yikes

Well Yankton is closer to Nebraska and Kansas if you want to chase some quail. Also that area is probably closer to the type of agriculture you are most familiar with.

Watertown has plenty of great fishing around it as well as upland and waterfowl.

Any of the 3 would be great; they all have pros & cons. Having lived in eastern SD 51 years, my personal opinion is Yankton is far & away the nicest town w/ the most to offer, particularly Lewis & Clark Recreation Area. But Chamberlain would get my nod currently, as I just think it's fantastic land out that way. Back to Yankton...I grew up there. It's not the hunting/fishing Mecca other parts of the state are, but once you learn the water, the fishing is pretty darn good. And you don't have to travel as far as you might think to find good hunting....once you learn the area. The hunting has vastly improved in the last several years, since the intro of the CREP program. Perhaps not accidentally, you've chosen 3 towns whose average high/low temps are quite similar. Pierre may be a little less humid in the summer, but probably not really significant. You get up into that NE corner of the state (Brookings, Watertown, Aberdeen) & things start to get pretty damn cold in the winter, suitable only for "far north hunters". Brrrrrr. I don't think my bones could take it on a regular basis anymore.

Interesting comments from A5 sweet 16. I appreciate that insight. After being married 35 years I do have to consider her needs, close proximity to town. All 3 towns pierre, Chamberlin and yankton are my choices. However pierre has a total of ONLY 8 houses for sale on zillow. Pierre builders are 1 to 2 years out on a waiting list. And it seems there building costs per sq ft are very high. At age 62, not sure I want to wait 1 to 2 years longer, my dogs life's are short enough as it is.

Have a zoom meeting Friday with a builder in yankton who has a line on some small acre to 2 acre plots just outside of town...

The reports i have been told is pierre area is the best for upland hunting and fishing. But the lack not builders and housing inventories may make that location a moot point unless something pops up.

Thinking

BTW I attended college my first 2 years at north dakota state, second 2 years at Utah state and last 2 years at western Illinois. Doesn't seem to be many places colder than North Dakota, Utah state being in Logan was as cold. But with the college at nearly 5,000' did we get snow.

Would kinda like to avoid those weather extremes thus the 3 towns along the Missouri river...

Back