Relocation to south dakota

Would like to permanently relocate to south dakota while I still have a few good years remaining. Ideally, my choices are:
Pierre
Chamberlin
Yankton

Obviously desire close proximity to river for fishing and upland game hunting.

Could either buy an existing home and possibly have one built. Ideally make the move by next fall.

Given the timing, housing inventories are low and prices high.

Any suggestions for a realtor or builder?

Amy David (605) 280-3896. Retired postal worker, now a realtor. Life time resident who knows the landscape. Her Dad and I graduated from Pierre H.S. in 65.
Good luck.

Pierre is probably the most expensive city of those 3. Yankton may be the lowest. I think Pierre or Chamberlain offer more hunting opportunities.

Fishing is by far better in Pierre or Chamberlain over Yankton. Usually more pheasants around Pierre and Chamberlain too.

Pierre is definitely the most expensive, looked at a new house under construction and they were asking $315 sq ft. On a half acre..more than I'd want to pay...

Only upland hunting I've done near pierre is in September on the grasslands.

Would like to have the opportunity to hunt from mid Sept to January 31..

I wish I could do the same. I would end up in Miller, I think. I’ve never been to Pierre. I gotta run through there on my way home next fall.

Hunted all over south dakota (lemmon, waubay, huron, martin, parkston) as a nonresident on public lands and throughly enjoyed myself. Now that i recently retired, my opportunity presents itself. Seems like pierre is my and the mrs choice of destination. Now with housing inventories low and higher prices might delay my purchase. Ideally was hoping to arrive by October.

I’d be content being 10-30 miles from the big city…I spend about 40 nights per year in a farmhouse about that distance from a town the size of Pierre…enjoy the solitude, nice to go to town a few times per week…

I'm am looking on Zillow daily checking new listings. And have a realtor in Pierre and Yankton with my requests, however inventories are very low based on my requirements. 3 bdrms, 2 baths, attached garage on a acre. Will probably build a 24 x 30' detached garage for boat, zero turn mower and 3 dog kennels under roof with houses inside garage.

I'm am looking on Zillow daily checking new listings. And have a realtor in Pierre and Yankton with my requests, however inventories are very low based on my requirements. 3 bdrms, 2 baths, attached garage on a acre. Will probably build a 24 x 30' detached garage for boat, zero turn mower and 3 dog kennels under roof with houses inside garage.
Message sent.

My 3 setters are usually in the house with me when I'm home. However, if Im gone all day, being outside gives them a chance to evacuate if necessary. My 3 kennels at home are under a shingle roof, the dogs open T.E. Scott AL doors and enter a 4 x 4 house inside the garage. The houses are insulated 2x4 walls with osb. Floor has 12" insulation covered with osb and carpet. The top is 1/2" plywood with a heat lamp mounted in. I have inside doors with clear Plexiglas so I can check-in on them. Under the shingle roof is a ceiling fan. I think they are pampered short of ac. Lol

Attachments

• 20220126_114255.jpg
    20220126_114255.jpg
    9.5 MB · Views: 24
I amazed at the current price of houses and land. Definitely want to be close to water to fish as well as chase grouse and pheasant. I also have to contend with the needs of the princess of 35 years together. Have her convinced about south dakota, but can't sell her on a location without a nail salon/beauty shop close.🤪

You are half way there. Much closer than most of us will ever get. I haven’t run into many women in SD who are thinking about their nails, but I’m up hunting north of Gettysburg, a little off the grid. My wife couldn’t find SD on the map. Consider yourself in an elite group. It’s gonna work out.

I’d suggest add an apartment above the garage and 3 more kennels…then let us know when it’s available. ;)

I amazed at the current price of houses and land. Definitely want to be close to water to fish as well as chase grouse and pheasant. I also have to contend with the needs of the princess of 35 years together. Have her convinced about south dakota, but can't sell her on a location without a nail salon/beauty shop close.🤪
You just may have to learn how to do nails and hair!

I routinely give the setters a clipper cut with a number 3 guard. I think I'm pretty good at it because they never complain. The mrs won't even let me do her laundry. Guess I washed clothes simular to my days in the college dorms..lol

Back