Recommended areas to hunt in SD

Rooster33

I am planning a trip for my kids first pheasant hunt and I am looking for recommendations on where to go. I'm considering Aberdeen, Miller, Chamberlin and Mitchell. Are there other areas I should consider? It sounds like the drought is not helping the numbers this year so I am trying to find an area where they'll have a good opportunity to see birds. I'm sure a bad day of hunting in South Dakota is still better than a good day of hunting in most states.
Thanks

Any of those towns should be fine. Obviously the further you are away from populated areas usually the less hunting pressure you'll find. Most guys aren't willing to drive the extra half hour or walk the extra mile or two. I would highly recommend checking out the youth season for people under 17 years old. They do need to have gone through a hunter safety course if under 16. You get the first crack at the birds and there is usually far less pressure.

That chamberlain area is good, but those swanky pay places are all over the place.They charge these guys thousands of dollars.I don't pay to hunt,but I did find a good dude who let me hunt for free.After a lot of talking.

I think Winner area will be best this year. I drove through most of the state earlier this summer and the Winner area seemed to have to most moisture. North of Chamberlin was bone dry.

Back