Rattlesnake Training - New Member (Good Shots)

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and thought I would say hello by showing some Rattlesnake Training photos I have of Dixie, my GSP. Enjoy.

254898_10100219431140152_6750410_n.jpg

254474_10100219429498442_2224312_n.jpg

254572_10100219433400622_2070340_n.jpg

I had my dogs snakeproofed this past summer up at Dale and Brenda's place. Pretty cool!!

Greg

Nice Pic's AWD. I had my English Setter Snake Trained 2 years ago and thought it worked well. But this summer I noticed she was killing the Western Gardner snakes in the yard and in mid-November down in Burlington we came across an un-happy rattler which we almost stepped on. My English Setter was more than willing to tangle with it and luckily I had her on a lead. So long story short she will be back again this summer for snake training. I know that the Colorado Gun Dog Association has Snake Training 2 days in June.

As for are do they get bit. The snakes are defanged and the dogs get a, shall we say a memorable zap through the E-Collar when they approach the snake (see AWD's pictures)

I think it is between $50 - $60 per dog.

But as I was leaving that field and snake behind in Burlington, I think that it is well worth the money to get it done again. As I could not think of losing the dog for the season or forever, based on something I could have prevented.

I think it is between $50 - $60 per dog.

But as I was leaving that field and snake behind in Burlington, I think that it is well worth the money to get it done again. As I could not think of losing the dog for the season or forever, based on something I could have prevented.

Hmm. That's true. I might try it.

Yeah, if you can afford it, it is a no brainer.

Usually the Colo Gun Dog Assc puts one on every year at Quail Run. I ran my last GSP though at a young age and did it again at about 6yrs. Luckily we never had the opportunity to see if it worked!

After having my dogs snakeproofed at Bearpoint Kennels and in conversations with Mr. Weslow (he has been doing it for a long time), he recommend that you should run your dogs through a refresher every few years.

They had Julian Weslow from down Texas way come up. He had several defanged rattlers. He would put one out with the rattler taped and one with the rattler exposed.

I also helped handle dogs through the exercise while another person had the transmitter. I learned alot about a dogs behavior. Heck, people brought out their poodles, and all sorts of breeds.:eek:

Greg

Yeah, if you can afford it, it is a no brainer.

Usually the Colo Gun Dog Assc puts one on every year at Quail Run. I ran my last GSP though at a young age and did it again at about 6yrs. Luckily we never had the opportunity to see if it worked!

I had my Dog done at Quail Run as well.

The snakes are not actually "de-fanged" I believe they milk them completely and then clip their fangs like you would clip finger nails. Snakes have back-up fangs and if they are removed, will grow back pretty quickly. The snake actually can strike the dog as you can see in the picture.

It does work very well but they say you should re-up your dog every year. I don't take any chances with Dixie. Probably like many of you, I would live on box mac and cheese just so my dog could eat her top-shelf food.

Nice Pic's AWD. I had my English Setter Snake Trained 2 years ago and thought it worked well. But this summer I noticed she was killing the Western Gardner snakes in the yard and in mid-November down in Burlington we came across an un-happy rattler which we almost stepped on. My English Setter was more than willing to tangle with it and luckily I had her on a lead. So long story short she will be back again this summer for snake training. I know that the Colorado Gun Dog Association has Snake Training 2 days in June.

As for are do they get bit. The snakes are defanged and the dogs get a, shall we say a memorable zap through the E-Collar when they approach the snake (see AWD's pictures)

Thanks,
In regard the "memorable zap", they actually took the dogs neck and wetted it before putting on the e-collar. I have a pretty stout e-collar. I can tell you, my collar on the highest setting does not come close to the thing the used. That was like an electric chair compared to mine.

Definitely worth it. We have had all of our Weims go through the clinics.

You know that it leaves an impression when they wake up out of a dead sleep with a look of concern when they hear a rattlesnake on TV. :laugh:

I had my reservations at first ... but after seeing pictures of 2 Weims with with swollen heads that looked like bulldogs, after being bitten by a rattlesnake, it changed my mind.

We've taken our last four labs through the course, either at Quail Run or at the ISE, two or three times per dog. Julian did all the sessions. We were happy with the results, no bites since and we have had several encounters-on the bike trail behind our house along the Cherry Creek emergency spillway, in the street in our neighborhood, and in our backyard. I am also going to look into the inoculations after talking to a local lab breeder.
Tom

Great pics. I had my first GSP Snake broke in AZ and ran into 4 rattlers and he never even thought of getting close to them.

My 4 yo male was snake broke and last September, a 4 foot Timber rattlesnake was coiled up below my bird feeder in my back yard. He found it and held a defensive point at about 10 feet away until I put him into the house and dispatched it.

It is well worth the effort to have it done.

Back