Rattlesnake Sighting Hotline

With the season approaching, the topic of rattlesnakes in South Dakota has once again appeared. Those of you that chose to hunt the early weeks run the greatest risk. This hunting ritual for most of us is all about our dogs. To some of us, they are our kids, and we will do everything to keep them out of harms way. There are hunters out there that have lost their beloved field conpanions to the strike of a snake. My heart goes out to you. If you wish to share your story, as painful as it may be, you may help a fellow hunter see the reality of it all. There may be those who have the mentality "it will never happen to me." It's not about you, it's about your dog!!! As hunters and fellow sportsmen and women, we may not all agree on certain topics, breed of dog, political views...even if you have a great disdain for a person...I wouldn't think you to wish bad upon that person's dog.
This is the beginning of the rattlesnake hotline to help all hunters and their dogs avoid the risk of injury from these deadly creatures. It may not eliminate the risk 100%, but it is a start. This will allow people to check throughout the season, and perhaps year to year. I know they like to inhabit "dog towns". Are there certain areas with greater concentrations of these dens? When is the latest time of year a rattlesnake has been spotted? Where? Please report any sightings with the location, the date, time of day, type of dog, weather conditions, and any other pertinent information you feel will help. Perhaps webguy or any body more techno savy can produce an image of the state with dots indicating sightings(challenge). So from all of us dog lovers and our dogs, we thank you. Hope to see some of you this fall! Wish you all a safe and bountiful season!:cheers:

Last edited:
A neighbors pointer was hit by a rattler in a park in town last week. I've seen them in Sept hunting grouse, and also October if it is warm. Crawling around stalking archery antelope in Sept. can also be a little "dicy". With temps still in the high 90's this week, Sept and Oct will likely be warm this year.

I'm not going early this year, for this reason...

With the drought conditions, there are going to be big cracks in the soil, out in the middle of now where. They wont need a prairie dog town to hole up in..

Not worth the risk for me..

Snake Vac

You can also have your dog vaccinated and if it does happen your dog will/should live. Still need to get it to the vet for infection reasons if it is bit.

Great point...I just had my two dogs vaccinated this summer, the vet here in Glasgow highly recommended it, he also suggested if they were to get bit to give them 25mg of benadryl. I have already seen one rattler this summer south of the Milk river, and have heard of quite a few sightings down south of me

I will let others chime in that know more specifics, but it's my understanding is that most of your encounters with Prairie Rattlers will be West of the Missouri river or at the very least near the river on the east side.

I do know that they can be found on the Fort Pierre National grasslands early in the season.

Last edited:
that is correct. Rattlers are found west side of the missouri river and some on east side but usually not to far east of river. Some may swim across narrow areas or get transported by hitching a ride in a bail pile that gets moved.
I saw rattlers two years ago in early Nov. when west river deer hunting. It was a real warm fall. If warm enough, they come out and sun themselves.

We will be hunting at the end of October and will be west of the Missouri. Can anyone recommend a good medical kit for our dogs? TIA.

I'm not sure how to get this message to everyone that might be interested but it is important. Most of us will react to a rattlesnake sighting by shooting the snake. Make VERY sure that your dog does not approach or try to retrive the snake. Even a "dead" snake is capable of striking. I have seen dogs instinctively react to the gun shot with porky's and snakes. Neither turned out well. Your dog will give you everything he's got please give him the benefit of your good judgement. An old montana outfitter. #6310

I'm not sure how to get this message to everyone that might be interested but it is important. Most of us will react to a rattlesnake sighting by shooting the snake. Make VERY sure that your dog does not approach or try to retrive the snake. Even a "dead" snake is capable of striking. I have seen dogs instinctively react to the gun shot with porky's and snakes. Neither turned out well. Your dog will give you everything he's got please give him the benefit of your good judgement. An old montana outfitter. #6310

Excellent advice! Thank you, sir.

Anywhere West River this is a real issue,early season.This is a great topic because it reminded me to inventory my first aid kit now,not at the last minute. Lots of cowboys carry liquid benadryl to reduce/delay onset of shock.Works on people,too.

If it is hot,they can be anywhere but being cold-blooded they are looking for a cool spot(like the creek your dog keeps using to cool himself).Best to hunt early,when cooler if possible,they aren't as active but look for a sunny creek bank etc to warm themselves.

I don't go much early because of snakes and the heat is too hard on dogs.That's another topic that can save more dogs than any snake warning!

Like to thank Roger and Rancho for both excellent advice! Most of us don't deal with snakes in our areas so we NEED all the expert advice to help protect our loyal field companions!:thumbsup: Please don't stop there...keep it coming.
Our group of three are heading out 11/11 to hunt east river the 12th -16th, hoping it will have cooled off to protect the dogs from both heat and snakes. If anyone else will be out then, we'll buy ya a beer. Please let me know ahead so I know how many cases to bring :cheers:!
PS; Roger's mentioned "porkys' , I believe meaning porcupines. Correct me if I'm wrong. That's a whole new can o worms. Never seen one. Anyone offer any insight on them?

Last edited:
i go pheasant hunting in the prairie region of Montana , and some Montana days can get warm. My advice is to get out early, and if the temp start getting towards 60 call it a day. Some days that can be 10 or 11 am? They may be out sunning themselves at app. 60 but their metabolism is slowed, and they are much slower in reaction, perhaps less aggressive in defense.

Another tip, avoid rocky outcrop areas they tend to be den sites, which in the fall is the destination for their concentration, and denning for winter hibernation.

Back