railroad tracks

kuk kuk

Anybody out there have any experience with hunting on DM&E railroad tracks in SD? I know they will not give permission, but will they kick you off? What about the farmers whose land is next to them?

If you are hunting the rail road right of way you would be trespassing. The farmer next to the tracks could give you permission to hunt his land but not the tracks.

like mollermd said.. farmbers gave you permission to hunt their land.. not DM&E.. and DM&E owns their tracks, not farmers.

I would check with the DM&E or SD GF&P, I grew up in Minnesota and railroad tracks where always open to public hunting, I was even encouraged to hunt pheasants on the railroad tracks by a gameworden when I was in high school during the goose season on Lac Qui Parle Lake as the WMA in the area are closed to pheasant hunting as long as goose season is on.

as far as i remember back in 2003 or 2004, when i was working as a deputy, there was a HUGE railroad accident that involved a train, and a dead hunter. after that, they wouldnt allow hunting and it was deemed illegal to hunt due to safety measures. when railroads are out past city limits, those trains go fast and they take a LONG time to slow down. they cant stop like cars can.

Here in Washington Railroads have been illegal to hunt for a long time. The birds go there sit on tracks and laugh at the hunters.........Bob

I would check with the DM&E or SD GF&P, I grew up in Minnesota and railroad tracks where always open to public hunting, I was even encouraged to hunt pheasants on the railroad tracks by a gameworden when I was in high school during the goose season on Lac Qui Parle Lake as the WMA in the area are closed to pheasant hunting as long as goose season is on.

I've hunted tracks in Minnesota all of my life. Growing up in the suburbs (Chanhassen) there were very few local areas I could hunt even back when it was nothing more than a farm-town so tracks were our top choice.

From the Minnesota Regional Railroad Association.

Unauthorized persons on railroad property are trespassing and can be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Laws related to public safety and homeland security are in place to protect all of us. Do not trespass on railroad property by hiking along tracks, hunting, or fishing off railroad property.

http://www.minnesotarailroads.com/crossing.html

Unauthorized persons on railroad property are trespassing and can be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Laws related to public safety and homeland security are in place to protect all of us. Do not trespass on railroad property by hiking along tracks, hunting, or fishing off railroad property.

zing. I wonder how long that has been in place because one of the kids that I grew up with was the son of a sheriff and he hunted tracks with us all the time

Moellermd, good to know. I see Homeland security and have to wonder if this is not another consquence of 9-11?

Also have to wonder if MN Tresspass law apply to railroad tracks, you know if it is not Ag land and not posted it is open for hunting, but if you are asked to leave by the owner or leasee you must.

Like I said before, I was told to hunt RR by a gamewarden in the early 90's.

Moellermd, good to know. I see Homeland security and have to wonder if this is not another consquence of 9-11?

Also have to wonder if MN Tresspass law apply to railroad tracks, you know if it is not Ag land and not posted it is open for hunting, but if you are asked to leave by the owner or leasee you must.

Like I said before, I was told to hunt RR by a gamewarden in the early 90's.

I got a friend who works for Homeland security for South Dakota as he used to be stationed in Iowa. Would anyone want me to ask him any further information on this?

As a former 10 year employee with Burlington Northern Santa Fee RR, I will promise you that it is just a matter of time until you get caught with a firearm on RR property and charged with a felony....there goes your gun hunting for life! Yea, I know people are doing it, have been doing it, and will be doing it tomorrow. But like I say, its more then likely just a matter of time. RR's actually have "special agents" hired to look for such things (among other things). It is the responsibility of all RR employee's, whether an engineer, signalman, or track maintainence personel, to call dispatch and report your tresspass. They probably wont, but there are many antihunters within the rail system, and many more who are looking for a "brown-nose" up the ladder, who wouldnt hesitate for a second to make that call. Is a Pheasant worth a felony? Is a Pheasant worth loosing your right to own firearms for the rest of your life?

Please ask him

I emailed him this morning, this is what i got:

This is what I can find for you;
"Railroad tracks, trestles, yards and equipment are private property. Walking or playing on them is illegal, and trespassers are subject to arrest and/or fines. It is against the law in all states to trespass on any private property without permission of the owner or without having an official reason, and all states provide for minimal punishments. Do not hunt, fish or bungee jump from railroad trestles. There is only enough clearance on the tracks for a train to pass. Trestles are not meant to be sidewalks or pedestrian bridges."
Hope this helps, Mike

Then he posted this link:

Union Pacific urges hunters to resist the temptation to hunt on railroad property this season.
Posted: 9:13 AM Oct 26, 2010
Reporter: Channel 6 News
Email Address: sixonline@wowt.com

Union Pacific Railroad urges hunters to resist the temptation to hunt on railroad property this season.

Wildlife tend to migrate and feed along the edges of freshly harvested fields making these areas prime hunting spots.

With many fields adjacent to Union Pacific tracks, hunters find it very tempting to hunt on or near the tracks.

"As part of our ongoing UP CARES initiative, we want to remind hunters that walking on or near railroad tracks is extremely dangerous because you never know when a train will come along," said Dennis Jenson, assistant vice president-chief of police.

"It can take a mile or more to stop a train and by the time a locomotive engineer sees you on the track, it would be too late," said Dale Bray, director â?? public safety.

Through August of this year, nearly 26,000 people have been caught trespassing on Union Pacific Railroad property.

Trespassers on railroad property can be arrested for violating trespassing laws.

If they are caught, they could serve jail time and/or have to pay a fine.

Last year, 428 people died and 346 were injured while trespassing on railroad property throughout the United States according to the Federal Railroad Administration.

It's just a simple liability issue for the railroads. If they don't prohibit trespassing, then they will get sued anytime someone is injured on the property.

Cass

As a former 10 year employee with Burlington Northern Santa Fee RR, I will promise you that it is just a matter of time until you get caught with a firearm on RR property and charged with a felony....there goes your gun hunting for life! Yea, I know people are doing it, have been doing it, and will be doing it tomorrow. But like I say, its more then likely just a matter of time. RR's actually have "special agents" hired to look for such things (among other things). It is the responsibility of all RR employee's, whether an engineer, signalman, or track maintainence personel, to call dispatch and report your tresspass. They probably wont, but there are many antihunters within the rail system, and many more who are looking for a "brown-nose" up the ladder, who wouldnt hesitate for a second to make that call. Is a Pheasant worth a felony? Is a Pheasant worth loosing your right to own firearms for the rest of your life?

Unreal, what's our world coming to?

Next it will be Where are your travel papers...WE MUST SEE YOUR TRAVEL PAPERS

onpoint,
private land is private land......no?

if you don't have permission, you shouldn't be there......black and white.

Felony? I think that's a little out of line.

Murders and rapist's get felonies not a 18 year old kid squirrel hunting on the RR track.

You can thank Bush and his Patriot act

Back