Question on Side by sides

oldandnew and onpoint, Thanks to the both of you! I enjoyed both of your posts. I have to agree with keeping that gun with all it's history in the family. Those kinds of things are priceless as time passes by.

I have an old Parker trojan that belonged to my grandfather and he had carved his initials in the stock. He loaned it out to a "friend who broke it's but stock at the wrist and replaced the gun with a cheapie. My dad had learned to shoot with that gun and hunted up the man that had it. Dad was heart broken when he found it all rust and beat up. This was back in the fifties. Dad took it to a gunsmith and wanted it repaired, but there was too much damage to the barrels with rust pitting and dents and with thw stock broken it would be essentially a new gun when finished and be very expensive to do. Wish I had the dough but have retired it. It is shootable, but is scary to do so , and it kicks like a Missouri Mule!

I have an old Parker trojan that belonged to my grandfather and he had carved his initials in the stock. He loaned it out to a "friend who broke it's but stock at the wrist and replaced the gun with a cheapie. My dad had learned to shoot with that gun and hunted up the man that had it. Dad was heart broken when he found it all rust and beat up. This was back in the fifties. Dad took it to a gunsmith and wanted it repaired, but there was too much damage to the barrels with rust pitting and dents and with thw stock broken it would be essentially a new gun when finished and be very expensive to do. Wish I had the dough but have retired it. It is shootable, but is scary to do so , and it kicks like a Missouri Mule!

Dad's got an axe like that of his great great grandfathers. He's only replaced the handle 3 times and the head twice ;)

That's a reminder to beware of french doubles, priced right, built like watches, light, but the dimensions of the stocks are generally cut with a lot of drop, and have a comb or cheek piece like a razor blade. Shot a 16ga. with light 2.5 shells, at doves many years ago and came away looking like I went 5 rounds with Jack Dempsey! Cheek bone hurt for a month. It went to the rack, and was successfully traded away to another who fell in love with it's graceful lines, I warned him but there is no reason in matters of the heart. Hope it was a long and continously happy relationship, my cheek and I were glad to see it go, and I haven't flinched in twenty years.

"Dad's got an axe like that of his great great grandfathers. He's only replaced the handle 3 times and the head twice "

That's funny! I don't care who you are! Good perspective!

Did I mention I only paid $800 for my 28ga ringneck and its built on a gauge specific frame? If anyone knows where to get more gun for the money please let me know.

bobwhite...cz

I have a cz ringneck and love it...my buddy bought a bobwhite because of the double trigger but could not get used to the English Stock. Ringneck is single trigger. one thing..make sure you can get used to cz's safety system..it does not automatically go to safety after reload..you have to set it...hope this helps

I need to get serious and shoot this shotgun I purchased a couple years ago. It is a J. P. Sauer 16 gauge S x S.

IMG_0951CC.jpg

Back