Question about GSP's

What can you guys tell me about GSP's? In my search for a new breed, my wife has fallen for the look of the GSP. I, of course, care more about look. Are they good family dogs? Do they retrieve well on land and water, etc.

Thanks for the help, I know nothing of the breed.

My GSP Kody is a great family dog and a great watch dog. He is an inside/outside dog and he doesn't mind my 5 and 3 year olds at all. Kody is very mild mannered until he knows that we're going hunting and then he is balls to the wall. He doesn't range out even when it's the first field of the season. Kody retrieves to my hand but doesn't really care for the water. I have some buddies that have GSP's and they will retrieve from the water. I think, personally, that the GSP is a great all around dog for family and for hunting. I'm sure that you would be happy with a GSP but no matter what you get good luck picking out a new dog...:thumbsup: If you want a first hand look at how a good GSP hunts maybe we can hook up in the field sometime....:D

GSPs make great family dogs. I am on my second and would add a third in a heartbeat. Playful, attentive, patient, smart, does not bark for the sake of hearing himself do it, travels well, and best of all hunts from sun up to sun down.

GSP's are excellent family dogs based on my experience. I love hunting behind them as well. I've had a few different breeds since owning a GSP in high-school and I've made it back around to GSPs. I just bought 2 puppies last week. 2 britts, 1 griffon, and 2 GSPs now make up the kennel.

Last edited:
I have two. As others have stated they make great family dogs. They are very energetic so that means they require a good deal of exercise and attention. But that's what also makes them tireless hunters as well. As with most continental breeds, they do best when they can live and interact with their family members.

If your seriously interested research as many different breeders as you can. There are many differences out there depending on what the breeder is trying to produce. Some lines are bigger running than others, so if possible try to set up a visit where you can see these dogs work.

Most of all, convey to the breeder EXACTLY what your interested in.

Let us/me know if you need some info on breeders to start your search.

Last edited:
Shorthairs are very loyal birddogs who want to please there owners. I have hunted behind a lot of different breeds of dogs but it seems for the most part shorthairs want to please the person theyre hunting for. They are also very easy to train. (hints: wanting to please you)

GSHP's

I have had several GSHP dogs. All females, and spayed.

The best one I had would hunt just about any bird and retrieve anywhere. She could hunt grouse, pheasants, ducks, geese. She would retrieve from water, long retrieves, any where. I took the time to train her that way. She was the best dog I'll probably ever have. Many great hunts and wonderful memories.

I did a canned hunt one time with her. After the tower shoot when cleaning up the birds she and I got about 70% of the birds. There were 7 other dogs.

She was quite calm too. She lived with us in the house. If you love dogs they are pets and family members first, most of the time anyway.

I have found GSHP dogs to be quite hardy and trouble free. I had to shock her off porcupines though. She'd sniff them and get a few quills in her nose.

Good Luck

Walt MI/USA

Take a look at the Deutsch Kurzhaar (GSP). They are well rounded pointing,retrieving,tracking and ect. Got one last year and very pleased.

Can't beat a GSP in my book. They are super easy to maintain, train, and bring into a family. My three year old is a real delight around my 19 mo son, she lets him use her for whatever he pleases. She is a top notch dog in the field too. With GSP's they are not all the same when it comes to water some love it and some only see it as a drink. Molly will retrieve from water or land right to my hand. They will go longer than you and have gas in the tank well after you have run out. I don't think you can get a better well rounded hunting dog, after all they are top on the list of most versitile gun dogs. Hope you find what you are looking for and like mentioned before really do your home work and tailor the dog to your needs since size in the breed can range greatly and dogs with longer legs will do better in thicker/taller cover.

This is one very relaxed in the house, aggressive in the field Pudelpointer.
I am not breed blind like others on this site and have owned several GSPs. I recommend Hillhaven breeding out of Hustler if you want one that makes a great housedog also. Check out Horizon Kennels in Sioux Falls and tell 'em Buck sent you.
________
KAWASAKI A7

Last edited:
This is one very relaxed in the house, aggressive in the field Pudelpointer.
I am not breed blind like others on this site and have owned several GSPs. I recommend Hillhaven breeding out of Hustler if you want one that makes a great housedog also. Check out Horizon Kennels in Sioux Falls and tell 'em Buck sent you.

I'm not breed blind either (read the screen name; I own 2 britts, 1 griffon, and a shorthair). I've also hunted behind labs, setters, and various pointers. I haven't had a puddlepointer, so I can't say I've had experience with every breed of bird dog. The guy asked specifically about GSPs and we all responded with our experiences. We're not trying to steer him in any particular direction, just sharing with him the information he was requesting.

Can anyone point out some negatives about GSPs? I have yet to find anything negative pertaining to this breed.

Did not mean to be critical of any breed, just those who only beleive there is one breed that is superior to all others. I have owned several Shorthairs and pointed out a good line and breeder. The posts mentioned hunting dogs that were good family dogs and that's where I went.
Now here is the pic I had trouble with this morning!
________
Ford Mel Engine Specifications

Last edited:
Did not mean to be critical of any breed, just those who only beleive there is one breed that is superior to all others. I have owned several Shorthairs and pointed out a good line and breeder. The posts mentioned hunting dogs that were good family dogs and that's where I went.
Now here is the pic I had trouble with this morning!

+1 on your comment and I like the picture of the pup he looks pretty spoiled :thumbsup:

well i have had no other dog and mine is only 14 weeks old. she is the best thing in the world. she has a natural woah and fetch. I would say the only problem is the energy she has. (oh and she poops a lot) she is the energizer bunny but that makes me run her or something so i am liking it. I hope you choose your GSP.

I also have a brittainy Spaniel but never trained her to hunt. they are good breads: they are great family dogs and are hard workers.

GSP's and Brittanys are high on my list for dogs

Uncle Buck did you keep any of the pups for yourself? Any walleyes or grouse lately?

I have six adult dogs tho 3 are getting up there in age. I still have 5 pups and they are definitely for sale. I kept one from the same breeding in '07, Axel, and two other breeders have females from last year so do not need to keep anything for future breeding. This presumes they meet breeding standards, but they seem well on their way.
Catching bunches of walleyes just 15 miles from my house. Essentially it's a catch and release lake, but great fun close to home and with what I save on gas I can buy lobster. Fish are biting well on Sharpe just below Pierre andI sure see a ton of boats onI-29 going north.
Only hunted grouse for about 3 hours last Sat. as had to hit a retirement party in Rapid. Saw 12 grouse and should have had one. Very spooky even tho little wind. One of the puppies pointed grouse at 12 weeks so that made it worth it.
This weekend---antelope and mabe get a chance at grouse if the goat hunting goes well.
________
XEDOS 6

Last edited:
GSP Dogs

The GSP is a great candidate for a family/hunting dog. However, as many others have already stated, be sure to research the sire and dam. I would prefer to see them in person if possible. Most GSP's have excellent attitudes, however I have trained and owned some that were excellent in the field, but would have been a pain as a family dog. As with any breed the important thing to remember is that there is as much variability within a breed as there is outside of that breed. I train dogs for a living and there are some breeds that I truly hate to see come in for training. However, I can also point out dogs that I have trained from those same breeds that were excellent and I would have been proud to own them. The point is to select the pup that is just right, not just the breed. On another note, it is much easier to see what a dog's attitude and natural ability are like if you buy a started dog. It is important however to purchase a started dog from a source that has a good socialization program.

If you purchase a puppy, be sure that your breeder is breeding to produce quality hunting dogs and not just turning out pups to make a buck.

The GSP is a great candidate for a family/hunting dog. However, as many others have already stated, be sure to research the sire and dam. I would prefer to see them in person if possible. Most GSP's have excellent attitudes, however I have trained and owned some that were excellent in the field, but would have been a pain as a family dog. As with any breed the important thing to remember is that there is as much variability within a breed as there is outside of that breed. I train dogs for a living and there are some breeds that I truly hate to see come in for training. However, I can also point out dogs that I have trained from those same breeds that were excellent and I would have been proud to own them. The point is to select the right pup, not just the right breed. On another note, it is much easier to see what a dog's attitude and natural ability are like if you buy a started dog. It is important however to purchase a started dog from a source that has a good socialization program.

If you do purchase a puppy, be sure that your breeder is breeding to produce quality hunting dogs and not just turning out pups to make a buck. Come straight out and ask them why they bred the litter. It is my opinion that only about 5-10% of the dogs out there have the necessary ingredients that make them worthy of breeding. Temperament, natural ability, conformation, trainability, and style just to name a few.

Best of luck in your search.

Regards,

Travis

Good "points" Travis. I always tell potential buyers that when I speak about my breeds atributes, I am speaking in general terms. There are sometimes exeptions to the rule, tho one of the processes of selective breeding is to diminish undesireable qualities and enhance the desired ones. In a given breed two different breeders may be looking to produce something that is different. You can get some rather "agressive" field trial GSPs or a milder closer working housedog, or possibly both in the smae dog. Do your research .
________
K1200gt

Last edited:
Ruger and the boys

A couple of pics to give you an idea of their personality around kids. This is Ruger when he was about a year and a half. I got him as a started dog at a year. He had never been around children, but a lot of different adults. To say that he warmed up to my boys rather quickly would be an understatement.

IMG00068-20090824-1356.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Ruger2.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Back