Quail

duckn66

Lately in the mornings I've been opening my sliding door and listening to the quail call while enjoying my morning coffee. Nice to hear them! Not as many calling as the last 2-3 years but still a fair amount.

I think it could be a better than average season. Just need some luck on the weather over the next couple of months.

I went on a 4 wheeler ride around the farm tonight. Saw 7 pairs of quail on my quarter. I have done a fair amount of habitat work including prescribed burns and it looks to be paying off. This is far more pairs than I have seen in the past several years.
Hope we have a good hatch and summer survival rates for the chicks.

I see and hear quail daily on my farm daily, and see lots on the gravel roads all around here. The population has increased every year the past few years.

Where bouts in KS are you Kansan? Hopefully North Central!! Good to hear the reports. We have certainly seen an increase over the years. We saw them in places we rarely used to last season.

I am semi desperate to go on a good wild quail hunt with my son.

We have been to South Dakota and loved it but want to do some Kansas
quail hunting as well. We are willing to pay a reasonable amount to get on
some private land for a few days and hunt our young german shorthair.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,

Steve

skip the pay to hunt route.......tons of walk in and you can knock on doors.......hunting is basically for free in Kansas, pay to hunt is not a trend anyone wants to see.

Where bouts in KS are you Kansan? Hopefully North Central!! Good to hear the reports. We have certainly seen an increase over the years. We saw them in places we rarely used to last season.

I'm located in southeast Kansas near the Oklahoma border. I've seen lots of quail up in northern Kansas as well. You should have success anywhere in the state.

I'm located in southeast Kansas near the Oklahoma border. I've seen lots of quail up in northern Kansas as well. You should have success anywhere in the state.

Cool!! thanks a ton for the report. We hunt NC every year , I can't wait till I see those rock fence posts again!!

Steven Vecchio,

There's lots of good advise on here and many guys with boots on the ground intel. I first started hunting Kansas in the early 90's. This was during the height of the CRP program and very good numbers. Both Pheasant and birds aka quail. Us southerner's call a quail "bird"....If your willing to do some pre season scouting, make phone calls to local chamber of commerce, and get out and knock on doors for permission to hunt, you will be surprised just how much info you will get and that access to private land is still possible. Of course always be courteous to the landowner and you will get invited to hunt again. If your gunning for quail....birds are found thru out the state. Traditionally south east and south central Kansas held the best numbers. With the other areas following close behind. I would avoid north east Kansas as that area has lost most of the prime quail habitat that once made towns like Marysville, Seneca and Clay Center meccas for hunters. Try the southeastern area along with the Flint Hills. Pick a town that offers the amenities you want and get at it. If you want more of a mixed bag with pheasants as well, you will need to travel west. Imagine a diagonal line that runs from south central Kansas to north eastern Kansas...Salina was always my town that I used as a maker. If you want to find pheasants....go north, west or southwest of Salina.
And you will also find birds in the same fields. Milo is my favorite crop to work my setters, if there is weedy cover, plumb thickets and pasture or CRP adjacent, cock your gun and turn the dogs loose. A WIHA map is a great help to put you onto farms to hunt....private land that is open to public access.
And as you explore new areas, knock on doors or strike up a conversation with local farmers you may happen to meet at the caf?, hardware store or gas station. I friendly smile always helps! Good luck and get er done!

20bore

Back