Quail cover

duckn66

Does anyone know anything about the "covey headquarters" that you can get through the MDC?

They are 35 dollars each and cover a 30x50 area. I was thinking about doing 3 of them and also putting food plots with each one.

It's not like I will hunt quail on my property but it would be nice to have a covey or 2 around that spend the majority of their time on my place. I'd love to see pheasants return but I think they are long gone. It's been at least 10 years since I've heard one around here in the spring.

I have spent a fair amount of time improving habitat for quail on my place.
You can get a biologist to come to you place and help you decide what your property needs to hold quail.

You've probably already checked them out, but Kansas Forest Service offers a "Quail Bundle" also. It comes with all the shrubs as well as literature explaining how to create a quail HQ. I think it costs a little more, but I don't know what is included in the MO kit vs the KS kit.

If you find out the MDC bundle is a better value, please let us know. Good luck with your quail.

This year I'm doing the opposite on my property, and clearing the trees that have grown up a little too big. I'll be turning those into brush piles for the quail and rabbits. PD called it "setting back the clock".

And the clock only moves forward without natural processes like fire and grazing in place. You might go here and look into our new wildlife habitat program. Also, usually food plots are the most expensive and least necessary habitat project you can do for quail. You have to nest them, hatch them, brood them, and recruit them months before the food plot is ever even ready to use. Maximizing habitat that supports those steps in much much more important!!!
http://ksoutdoors.com/Services/Priv...nce/Wildlife-Biologists/Habitat-First-Program

So far this year I am removing trees, making brushpiles, hinge cutting, and restoring native grasses. I planted a quail food plot with seed provided by the state the last 2 years. It was minimal work and the seed came up great. Hard part is keeping turkeys out till germination and the deer out when it comes up. Also going to be doing several covey headquarters. Its a process but I love it. I consider it a lost day if on a day off I don't go through 2 tanks minimum of saw fuel.

Biologist for the area is an old high school classmate of me and the wife. He has been out a couple times to tell me what I can do to better help the quail.

Go to "Covey Headquarters" in the "Nature's Calling" section under media. It will have all the info.

They use to have it on the nursery order form but this year its not there(or at least I didnt see it), which is why I was wondering where people found it at.

This is what I ordered a few months ago since I couldnt find the quail bundle!
Suppose to be getting them in about a month

100, Gray Dogwood
50, Roughleaf Dogwood
50, Wild Plum
25, False Indigo

One of my main goals would be to not plant something that will cause you problems in the future. Here, I would not plant false indigo or rough-leafed dogwood. One of my biggest problems on the area is exotic species that invade and degrade quail cover. The time and expense saved would be significant!

Back