Quail at Hillsdale?

RuttCrazed

Does anyone here hunt quail at Hillsdale? I have lived in Kansas for 7 years now and was talking to a friend that doesn't hunt, but would like to start, he asked if there was anywhere close we could go hunting and I told him we would probably have to drive a few hours west. He said he had heard there were quail at Hillsdale (probably 30 minutes away) and asked if I had ever been there, I said no and had never heard of anyone hunting quail there. I enjoy just being out, but would hate to take a new hunter out and have him get skunked and cold (I already did that to him during the deer hunt!). Has anyone ever had any luck at Hillsdale??

Thanks,

Rut

Rutt,

I've kicked up a few super small coveys at Hillsdale, but that was ages ago. The habitat looks a lot 'different' now (how should I put this... it's crap), you'd be hard pressed to find a few birds in there I would think. Is your buddy in town (KC)?

We are both in Gardner. I think growing up in Utah hunting pheasant and chukar puts me in a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to quail hunting in that I am not entirely sure of what type habitat I should be looking for. I usually do alright out west on quail, but I am never looking specifically for quail, dog finds them while I am after pheasants!

Rut

Never hunted Hillsdales ,but I do hunt in Valley falls and I got a couple coveys moving yesterday by Perry lake. Had a double on a covey rise and then let the dogs work singles.:thumbsup::cheers:

Couldn't bring myself to shoot anymore.

Kick'em Up!

Hey Ruttcrazed

Hey Ruttcrazed, maybe I can help with your ID. Quail are a grassland/shrubland bird. The habitat has to contain a combination of native grass, woody cover, and forbs (weeds). Crop fields can substitute for the forbs to some extent. One condition you'll need to evaluate is the density. Quail are sight feeders and significant thatch degrades the habitat, possibly to the point of it being unusable. So too, the lack of woody cover can also make an otherwise useable habitat uninhabitable. Most CRP is too thick to hold significant quail though you may find them using the edges adjoining more open habitat types. If I could get pictures to post here I would start a quail habitat picture thread.............

Wildcat, I am away from my phone book, but I know that there has recently been a fairly quick turnover of managers at Hillsdale. I've never been there, but I know that it is probably in a 40-50 inch rainfall belt. That means that plant succession is fairly quick and keeping a habitat in the lower successional stage necessary to support significant quail populations would take some serious effort. Changing personnel can exacerbate that getting done. There's always about a 2 year establishment time for a new manager to really get the ball rolling. No excuses, just some of the problems we face. In general, we often find ourselves doing too much for too many different factions. That leads us to not being able to keep up with what needs done every day/year. My own area once had 4-5 full-time employees, now it's just me. If I had 3 other FTE's, man what I could do! It would take a bigger budget though......and where would that come from?

Last edited:
Thanks guys, that is some good info!

PD,
I will pay a little more attention to the areas I am seeing quail in the west and try and translate that to the areas a little closer to home. In looking back though, I do recognize some of the areas that have all the attributes you listed as being pretty consistent for holding quail. I knew about the woody cover, but not about the density and excess thatch. I appreciate it!

Thanks,

Rut

My own area once had 4-5 full-time employees, now it's just me. If I had 3 other FTE's, man what I could do! It would take a bigger budget though......and where would that come from?

Certainly not from the Governor... heard he's stripping funds from KDWP to pay for his budget shortfall.... :mad:

I deer and turkey hunt about a mile or two from the Brownback compound. I keep waiting to see the governor in the local gas station having coffee. One of these days it's gonna happen, and it won't be pretty! :rolleyes:

Might as well jump every legislator as well. If every agency is losing good people to outside jobs like KDWPT is, we're really going to have an experience void for a number of years. There comes a point where making bad decisions for the wrong reason needs to come to bear. This new tax system has caused a lot of people a lot of pain. It's time to admit failure and go back to a system that pays the bills. America was founded on paying people a good wage for quality work. That ideology seems to have been lost in State government today. Resurrecting the state on the backs of the State employees got old a number of years ago!

Back