Quail ammo and choke recommendations?

Gunrush128

I'm going on a quail hunt later this month on a local preserve with my new Citori White Lightning 20 gauge. This will be my first quail hunt so I'm unsure of what shot/choke combos work best out of the 20 gauge. Also, what is the cheapest place to find ammo? Thanks! Chris

Any 7/8oz target load of 7.5s or 8s through cyl/ ic should work great for you.:cheers:

Any 7/8oz target load of 7.5s or 8s through cyl/ ic should work great for you.:cheers:

This is a good load. However mod or full is a better Imho, Cyl,or Ic for those of you that can't shoot and need a blunder- bust go ahead. :p Bubble oo buck
and skeet works too. now Sp on the bubble. :rolleyes:

Quail hound is right 7.5 or 8's works just fine in any choke I like tighter choke then cyl, or Ic for small Birds. Just my choice.:)

This is a good load. However mod or full is a better Imho, Cyl,or Ic for those of you that can't shoot and need a blunder- bust go ahead. :p Bubble oo buck
and skeet works too. now Sp on the bubble. :rolleyes:

Quail hound is right 7.5 or 8's works just fine in any choke I like tighter choke then cyl, or Ic for small Birds. Just my choice.:)

Jmac you're use to those damn devil desert quail. I agree tighter on those running little SOBs but he'll be hunting released bobs so I think open is the way to go.

Last edited:
Jmac you're use to those damn devil desert quail. I agree tighter on those running little SOBs but he'll be hunting released bobs so I think open is the way to go.

Yup you are correct, The devil birds will not sit for dogs, and your right bobs and your sett up is correct. I was just pulling your chain. :D

Well, since I only have IC, M, and F chokes right now, looks like I'll be using IC/M for now( unless I can scrape up the cash for some more chokes).

Any suggestions on where to get ammo at a decent price?

Target loads are cheap, you should be able to pick some up at Wally World for like $6 a box. Ic/ mod will work just fine as well. Have fun.

I go with Sk/Ic in my O/U...I think the new loads and wad design tightens everything up one notch anyway.

asuming you shoot that shell out of said gun at said range
could have holes big enough you couldn't put a couple beebies in a softball
but it's all good- cheap shells do usually great- if you pattern

If it was me I would go up one step in quality and price for the shotshells, its like gettn a fancy bass boat, the very best rods reels and the newest hi tech line and then buying the cheapest hooks on the shelf.

No need to over due it but a few bucks more for a good target type load is what I would get.:thumbsup:

I think you folks should give a box of kent 1 oz low base a try. 7 1/2-8 shot in their diamond shot fitasc loads 1,450 fps. They are great loads on fast birds like chukar grouse and quail. I think you would like them. Mine patterns nice with the mod, or IM And in a bit of open area, these shells can get out a ways.

I think you folks should give a box of kent 1 oz low base a try. 7 1/2-8 shot in their diamond shot fitasc loads 1,450 fps. They are great loads on fast birds like chukar grouse and quail. I think you would like them. Mine patterns nice with the mod, or IM And in a bit of open area, these shells can get out a ways.

If he were going to be hunting wild quail in heavy cover I might agree but for a preserve hunt this is over kill imo. 1450fps is pretty fast for quail, a standard 1220fps 7/8oz is more than enough for quail. I even use this load on mtn quail which are damn near the size of a chukar when mature.:cheers:

My go to preserve load is a 3/4oz 1300fps 7.5 out of my 28ga, cyl/ ic. If a bird gets up (quail, chukar, pheasant) within 30 or so yards it gets folded up. I use that load all season on quail, chukar (wild), and pheasant for the first 2 weeks of season and I never feel under gunned.

Last edited:
If it was me I would go up one step in quality and price for the shotshells, its like gettn a fancy bass boat, the very best rods reels and the newest hi tech line and then buying the cheapest hooks on the shelf.

No need to over due it but a few bucks more for a good target type load is what I would get.:thumbsup:

I do agree there, keep an eye out for a good deal on Winchester AA's or super x game loads, should be able to find the super x for $6 a box and $7 or 8 for the AA. Those are my two go to quail loads and many quail have made their last rise to them. My 20ga is fed the super x's and my 28ga the AA's.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
If he were going to be hunting wild quail in heavy cover I might agree but for a preserve hunt this is over kill imo. 1450fps is pretty fast for quail, a standard 1220fps 7/8oz is more than enough for quail. I even use this load on mtn quail which are damn near the size of a chukar when mature.:cheers:

My go to preserve load is a 3/4oz 1300fps 7.5 out of my 28ga, cyl/ ic. If a bird gets up (quail, chukar, pheasant) within 30 or so yards it gets folded up. I use that load all season on quail, chukar (wild), and pheasant for the first 2 weeks of season and I never feel under gunned.

U might think that way as normal, I understand. But this load will fit that bill as well. In close and far. Just try em once and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.:cheers:

I've seen you proclaiming their virtues before and I'd like to try them for pheasant hunting but I've never been able to find any.:confused:

QH, try going to a site called ballistic products in MN. You can buy them there cheap. But have to ship them. I just drive by and get a case from time to time, Last time they were 8 bucks a box. For grouse, and in close you can open the chokes up with 8 shot and it is a sweet load. Tighten em up a bit for out in more open areas. For quail I would use a open choke for the first, and my second barrel slightly more closed. They will work well for early roosters as well with a tighter choke. I only have used the 12 ga. I don't have any other ga. gun so I can't say any thing about how those work. But for 12 shooters, very forgiving.

Last edited:
Target loads are cheap, you should be able to pick some up at Wally World for like $6 a box. Ic/ mod will work just fine as well. Have fun.

+100

a 20ga is plenty of gun for quail and those cheap target loads will knock them down just fine.

I use them for wild Indiana quail all season and kill plenty.

Back