Puppy Chow Question

bones

When do you guys take the pups off of puppy chow and move to an adult food? Seen a lot of different ages for it. Never had bird dogs before. With house pets (prone to fatness) I did at 6 months.

My GSP is on Purina Pro Plan puppy Lamb and Rice but is now almost 7 months old. Should I keep her on it, is her body still developing and growing? She is also spayed, so am really worried about weight gain.

Thanks,
bones

I feed it for about a year.

I agree. You may get a lot of different answers on this but since you have had your pup on a puppy formula for 7 months already just stay with it for another 5 months and them make the switch,

I feed it for a year. It is my way of thinking that a solid foundation is the basis for excellence later on. I believe their bodies and brains need the extra bonus of essential nutrients and fats to develope correctly. Only you can decide when it's right though.

My vet told me that it's required that any food has enough nutrients for all ages and stages of development. So I just transitioned right then to regular food so, now I don't have to worry about separating my older dog and my puppy during feeding. Puppy was about 5 or 6 months old then.

Around a year has always worked for me

Some foods yes it is OK. For example pro plan performance is very close to the same as pro plan puppy. Most cases it will say on the bag if the adult is in fact Ok for pregnant, nursing mothers and puppies of all stages. Not all dog food has the best things in pups use more of. So check that first. But for the same money, unless your sure, feed pup food. And a good one. Growth plates don't begin to close till between 12-18 months. And they may do better on pup for you. Pro Plan, I still feed the puppy, I like there puppy food.

Back