Public Lands Closed - Civil Disobedience - Call to Action

LoneRooster

I know this has been discussed on the forum quite often as of late. The purpose of this thread is to hopefully start a movement to track our own personal experiences with hunting on "public lands" during the shutdown and any encounters with federal game wardens. I also think we need to be actively reaching out to groups such as Pheasants Forever, DU, Delta Waterfowl, ETC ETC. Those groups should be our ally in this. I am proposing that we document all tickets written and we pressure DU/PF to write public articles about this. These lands are lands that WE support and help maintain and conserve. I challenge everyone to take the fields, bring some sort of recording device should you encounter a federal warden and document everything. We need to publicize what is happening on our public hunting lands. I have already heard of a few folks getting tickets in SD. Here in MN there are signs on many of the WPAS that say they are closed. This is an outrage and we need to unite as outdoorsmen and conservationists and we need our partners -PF/DU to start putting some news in the headlines about this BS. A simple article about lands being closed is not enough. We need these groups to be fighting in our favor and telling our story. I also want to see some articles posted about how these lands are truly funded. I want a breakdown.. I know 98 cents of every dollar spent on a federal duck stamp goes to land purchases and conservation but It would be great to be able to point to a WPA and say that 95 percent of this property is managed and purchased thru private dollars and donations. Knowledge is power. It is time to allign together and stand up as a unified front. I am pissed off..everyone else should be to.

They talk about not having the funds to run agencies, but they sure seem to have enough people working to close things off from the public: highway viewing turnoffs at Mt. Rushmore, physically removed Vietnam Vets from their memorial in DC, forcing people to move from private homes on Lake Mead, etc., etc.. One park ranger was quoted as being instructed to "make life as hard as possible for people".

I'm pissed, too. If a warden tells me I can't walk onto a piece of public land, well, I don't know what I'm going to do. But if there's no money to run agencies, they are ignoring public safety to harass regular, law abiding citizens.

I've already called my congressman, told him to stop this nonsense, but to hold his ground in getting a balanced, deficit-free budget.

In WI..Gov Scott Walker has re=opened much of the public land. He has gone as far to remove federal barricades. This is outstanding. Why isn't the MN Gov doing this? I have reached out to many conservationist groups.. Pheasants forever and many others are getting in the fight.. Want to know one group that is not? DU..and I am very surprised and pissed off.

Article on Walker -
http://www.jsonline.com/news/statep...r-federal-shutdown-b99111708z1-226154141.html

Article on Pheasants Forever -
http://www.pheasantsforever.org/page/1/PressReleaseViewer.jsp?pressReleaseId=119604

Below is my conversation with someone from Minnesota Ducks Unlimited.. I was pretty put off by their lack of knowledge or comments..

Lone Rooster:
Is DU doing anything to address the closure of public land in Minnesota during this govt shutdown?
Like ? ? 3 hours ago
Trevor Bialke likes this.

Minnesota Ducks Unlimited Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done. The land that is owned by a federal agency is owned by them and nothing can change that. If the agency closes so does their land. Luckily in MN there are still hundreds of thousands of state owned acreage along with thousands lakes with public access as well that still remains open.
about an hour ago ? Like

Lone Rooster: Isn't it true that conservation efforts from DU and the money earned from our licenses and federal stamp fees went towards the purchase and conservation of these lands that are now "closed"??
56 minutes ago ? Like

Minnesota Ducks Unlimited Yes it is possible that some money from those sources could have went to some of those areas. Money that is raised through sources go to many aspects of waterfowl efforts done by the FWS. It is just like all other taxes or fees everyone pays goes towards operations and maintenance of any government building that may be closed that this time as well.
48 minutes ago ? Like

Lone Rooster: I guess I was under the impression that 98 cents of every dollar spent on a Federal duck stamp went to the purchase and conservation of federal waterfowl land.
37 minutes ago ? Like

Lone Rooster: I also would of thought (and maybe they are) that DU would be putting pressure on the federal and local govt to re-open public lands that require very minimal oversight during hunting season. I know Pheasants Forever just recently launched a campaign to lobby for the re-opening of public lands here in MN and across the US. I also know that the Gov of Wisconsin has opened up public land despite attempts from the federal govt to close it. Is there any movement to put pressure on MN Gov to ignore federal attempts at closure?
32 minutes ago ? Like

Lone Rooster http://www.jsonline.com/...

Scott Walker blames lawmakers in both parties for federal shutdown
www.jsonline.com
Gov. Scott Walker blamed both Republicans and Democrats on Wednesday for shuttin...
See More
32 minutes ago ? Like ? Remove Preview

Lone ROoster http://www.pheasantsforever.org/...

Pheasants Forever Press Release
www.pheasantsforever.org
Press Release Viewer
31 minutes ago ? Like ? Remove Preview

LoneROoster: I just would hope that DU would get in this fight, we join DU as you guys do a tremendous job of protecting a sport we love but right now it seems you guys are not involved in defending the public usage of these lands and honestly it is disappointing... I was quite surprised to not see DU mentioned on the PF press release with the other major sporting conservation groups.
30 minutes ago ? Like

I can't believe DU would drop the ball like that. Its just sad. I wonder what national would say. I'm very happy that PF is hearing our concerns and at least putting an effort forth.

Watch this, they have the votes to fix this whole thing. JB, RP, TC and few others won't let a vote take place.

This man does a great job of explaining what is going on and the way our system works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbpCkAXoVik

Watch this, they have the votes to fix this whole thing. JB, RP, TC and few others won't let a vote take place.

This man does a great job of explaining what is going on and the way our system works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbpCkAXoVik

There are eight bills sitting on Harry Reids desk that he won't let come up for a vote. So maybe point out all the facts. Personally I don't have a problem with the house holding accountable the ones that want to that think they should get a better deal, when the law that passed and went before the Supreme Court clearly stated that congress should be subject to this law. Why is it that a law that had to be voted on by both houses can be changed with out a vote of either house? That has to be illegal as well as wrong. Personally I am proud that congress is standing firm irregardless of the political consequences. That is a refreshing change. Statesmen instead if politicians.

Last edited:
There are eight bills sitting on Harry Reids desk that he won't let come up for a vote. So maybe point out all the facts. Personally I don't have a problem with the house holding accountable the ones that want to that think they should get a better deal, when the law that passed and went before the Supreme Court clearly stated that congress should be subject to this law. Why is it that a law that had to be voted on by both houses can be changed with out a vote of either house? That has to be illegal as well as wrong. Personally I am proud that congress is standing firm irregardless of the political consequences. That is a refreshing change. Statesmen instead if politicians.

You sir, nailed it. The house controls funding of any bill. It's there right to defund any legislation they seem fit, to defund. Supreme court ruled its a tax, and is legal, " because their is consequences for voting for certain people." So where are we folks.

I don't know about you but I'm taxed to the limit and don't need any more taxing, Period. The house is doing the Right thing. Shut them down and lets get rid of all of them. They are working for us. Yea right.

You sir, nailed it. The house controls funding of any bill. It's there right to defund any legislation they seem fit, to defund. Supreme court ruled its a tax, and is legal, " because their is consequences for voting for certain people." So where are we folks.

I don't know about you but I'm taxed to the limit and don't need any more taxing, Period. The house is doing the Right thing. Shut them down and lets get rid of all of them. They are working for us. Yea right.

jmac
You now can expect to be audited by the IRS for that one:eek:

Back